How do I pick out an outdoor bicycle?

rjroubi

Cathlete
There are so many wonderful educated Catheites here that I know can help me out ....I'm thinking about taking up outdoor bike riding, but I don't have the first clue about what to look for when choosing an outdoor bike. Holy cow...there are so many and so many different features.

I guess I should first say I want to ride around the neighborhood and in some parks and hilly roads. I'm the type of person who goes crazy with a new hobby so I'm sure I'll want a really good bike I can really "grow" with as I get better. I am a little afraid of really high bikes ....I can ride but I'm still afraid of loosing my balance (is there a certain height I should get if I'm about 5 ft 3.5 inches or does it matter?). If you had it to do over again...would there be a certain feature you would have liked on your bike???

I'm looking for any advice you can offer on brands, features or anything.:)

TIA,
Robin:)
PS. My last bike still has my daughter's baby seat attached to it....hmm...and she is now 23 years old. I don't think I'll be riding that one anytime soon around the neighborhood....hehehe.:p :+

Robin...there are far more experienced cyclists on this forum than myself and I'm sure they'll have advice for you too, but your best investment is to find a local bike shop (LBS in bike lingo) and purchase your bike from them. They should fit the bike to your height/frame. The bike should feel very comfortable when you are on it. You will test drive several bikes so go prepared with some time to spend on riding bikes.

You can spend on a bike whatever dollar amount you are comfortable with, $300 on up to thousands. You most likely will be able to get a good quality bike with good components for around the $1k area. But...buy the bike that fits you the best. Also, your LBS will do routine maintenence on your bike too and that is an important factor. They will also show you how to change a flat tire if you have not done so before. This is very important as you never know where you'll be when you get a flat.

I just bought a new bike and I was intending to spend $1k or less. I ended up buying a bike that was $550 because it was the one that fit me. I can always upgrade components if something doesn't work for me but the frame/fit/feel of the bike is utmost important.

If you get your new bike and decide that you really enjoy cycling almost every bigger town has cycling clubs that do group rides. You should be able to get that information from your LBS too along with maps of bike routes in your area.

And don't forget a helmet!

I forgot to add, shop at a couple of bike shops if you have that option. Buy your bike from the store that you like the owner/employees the best. A good relationship with your LBS is very important for the health and well being of your bike...unless you learn to do alot of the maintenence yourself.

In my area there are three bike shops. I like one the best and shop there the most. The second one cater's more to the family/weekend biker so he doesn't have as much stock in his store but he's a good bike mechanic and always helpful. The third bike shop in my area cater's to the elitist biker's. He doesn't have a bike in his store that is under $2k. He is very condescending to his customer's. His main business is racer's.

So, shop around and find a bike shop where you can have a good relationship with the employees/owner.

I haven't ridden for a long time ("Nomade," my Motobécane, is in the basement gathering rust!), but if I got a new bike, I'd be tempted to get that one that automatically shifts gears. I can't remember the name, but I've seen some infomercials about it on TV.

I never learned to switch gears effectively, and it would be so nice to just ride and not have to think about that. And since I don't plan on being a triathlete or riding in the Tour de France, it would probably suit my purposes.

Just something to think about. I'll try to remember what it's called! (the "...rider")

I would recommend going to a bike shop, talk to them about what you are looking for and they will be able to fit one to your needs. sialized is a good brand, the only one that my dh would ever buy. And he's an avid mountain biker. You don't have to have a mountain bike, there are other styles that you might find that suit you. Specialized is great because you can pick the fram, the tires, the handle bars, the type of gears all of that. But I would go to a bike speialist.

Kathy

Hi Robin! I agree with everyone else on going to a couple of local bike shops and talking to them. Then pick the one that you feel most comfortable with. I too have my favorite shop around here that really listens to what you want. Others are just too pushy.

I was wondering... Are you thinking of getting a road, mountain, or cyclo-cross bike? There are different factors to consider with each of these bikes.

And yes, the size of your bike is important. If you get one that is too big or too small it will not be comfortable and you won't use it. I know what you mean about "tall bikes", but actually if a bike fits you correctly you should not be able to put your feet on the ground if you are sitting on the seat. It is weird and takes a little bit to get used to, but in no time you will be a pro. Of course, part of participating in this great sport is to take a tumble once or twice.

I am a road biker and have a LeMond bike. I got it at an end of the year clearance sale and it was $700, but since then I have upgraded a lot of the equipment on the bike. Bike prices can be insane, but I think that you should be able to get a pretty decent bike for about $700 to $1700.

I am not sure if this helped, but if you have more specific questions, let us know. I can try to answer or ask my DH who is a crazy biker guy and knows all about this stuff :) .

Karin

Robin,
If you need more info, I'll have my DH write you a short treatise on his opinions regarding bicycles. He loves biking and loves bikes. I guess it's because he's an engineer and bikes are mechanical thingies. Anyway, let me know and I'll have him send you the treatise. :+
-Nancy

I bought a Trek bike five or six years ago for around $600, and I am thrilled with it. The only problem I've ever had was with the spokes, and the company replaced not only the wheels but threw in new tires as well! Oh, and ditto the advice to buy locally.

My bike is a hybrid, which means it has features of both a street bike and a mountain bike. The tires are mid-width, not thick like a mountain bike and not super skinny like a street bike. I ride mostly on old country highways -- not always the smoothest ride -- and occasionally take off down a dirt road, but not often. I wanted something that could handle that terrain but find the drag from those huge mountain bike tires to be a frustration. I am delighted with my choice for the type of riding I do. However, if I were riding in town all the time, I think I would probably buy a street bike.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope you find as much joy and satisfaction in biking as I have.

Shari

Robin,
I spoke to my DH and he said as long as you choose a good bicycle store, they can tell you everything you want to know. DH and I both have Trek bikes, and like Shari, I think we have hybrids. I think they cost about $700 each or so. They are great bikes!
-Nancy

Just to belabor the point, go to a bike shop, tell them what you need, answer their questions as best you can about what you plan to use the bike for, and plan to spend around $1K on the bike, the helmet, lock, and whatever gizmos you like. I love a $25 computer that tells me how fast I'm going, how far I've gone, etc.

Lastly, search online or ask in the shop for a local biking group. You may enjoy some good rides with a group at a set pace. You'll learn, challenge yourself and make friends to ride with.

>...but if I got a new bike, I'd be tempted to get that one that automatically shifts gears.

Kathryn, that same informercial got my interest over the weekend so I visited their website a couple days ago. The bike is called Land Rider:

www.landrider.com

I'm also in the market for a bicycle as I've been thinking of using it to commute to work. The only hesitation I would have about getting the auto shift bike is the maintenance. Would the local bike shops have the knowledge to work on it?

>Kathryn, that same informercial got my interest over the
>weekend so I visited their website a couple days ago. The
>bike is called Land Rider:
>
>www.landrider.com
>
>I'm also in the market for a bicycle as I've been thinking of
>using it to commute to work. The only hesitation I would have
>about getting the auto shift bike is the maintenance. Would
>the local bike shops have the knowledge to work on it?

I looked at the FAQ section on the site, and it seems like a regular bike shop could take care of it. These look more and more tempting to me, because I wouldn't need one for heavy duty use, and I've always been a not-so-great gear shifter (memories of climbing hills during a Century ride!)

Hi Robin,

I'm a little late joining in here. I don't visit the open discussion as much as I'd like.

You have received great advice here about the local bike shop thing. We live at ours! They can fit you with just the right bike. And yes, bikes can really vary in price. My first one was around $600 (TREK), my second one was about $2300 (TREK) and my current one is about $2400 (was $1900 to start with and DH upgraded all the components - it's a Specialized Roubaix). But DH's on the other hand is a $5500 bike (Specialized) but having that great relationship with your local bike shop - we happen to be good friends with the manager - can help lower that price a bit. :)

If you tend to be competitive and think you'll fall in love with cycling, I would recommend a road bike as opposed to a cross bike because it will be faster. My sister decided last year she liked cycling and rode on my old mountain bike around town. This year she decided to buy a road bike. She bought one like my very first one - a TREK 1000. It's so pretty. :) She bought the bike, new clipless pedals so she could clip her feet in - really helps with climbing, a helmet, a bike computer and gloves and she spent $850. Not bad really for all that stuff. We had already gotten her shoes for her birthday. And it's a fabulous bike for her as she's just getting into it. It will be a good bike for her for a number of years. If I wasn't married to a "crazy biker guy" like Karin, I'd probably still be on my first bike - or at least my second. But I try not to get too terrible attached b/c he's always looking for the next best thing for me. So sweet. Now he's looking for a red frame for me (since I love red bikes) so supposedly I will get to keep this one for a long time. Yeah, we'll see.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Hi,

One other thing you might consider. I'm about your size (5'3") and I have a women specific road and mountain bikes. I rode small mens frames for a long time and once I got the women specific frame I realized what I was missing. I have a TREK 5000 road bike, it is great.

Tracy

I'm also 5'3" and just check my Trek bike. It is 15". But of course, that's what salespeople are for. :)
-Nancy

Wow...I guess this bike purchase is going to be a lot more complicated then I thought. I started to do a little research on the web as well as consumer reports. Holy cow, now bicycles even have fancy break systems and gear shifts on the handle bars and you have to decide what you want (twist shifters verse toggle shifters). I'm not even sure I am going to be able to work these things.....dang, I'll be lucky if I remember to shift gears....With all these fancy break systems and gear systems....its no wonder you need a really good bike shop to work on the upkeep.

What I did learn is what most of you already said in your previous posts....get a good reputable bike shop and they will help me pick out a suitable bicycle. It may take me a while, but I think will find one. Hopefully I will be able to ride it...hehehe;) Now that is going to be a funny sight! Thanks again!

Robin:)

Robin...you are a babe. How could the sight of you on a bike be funny?!?!!

Get out to your LBS and get that new bike. I have been riding every morning and it's just been wonderful weather for it.

I would suggest you go to the nearest high school, find a bike that you like the look of that isn't locked up and Bob's your uncle!

I'M JUST KIDDING, PEOPLE.

Robin:
Another advantage a local bike shop may offer is that they often sponsor or host group rides (road bike). A group ride comes with advertised distances and levels (A, B, or C paced rides). You can pick a ride based on your own ability. Ride leaders are very encouraging of new riders and helpful in teaching the subtleties of group riding as well as the "lingo" that is bantered about during the ride. I have been road riding for over ten years and have found that is has been a definate plus in maintaining fitness and I thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie on the ride.
Best of luck in your selection process!
Kevin :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.