HiiT - how do you use it?

melimcn

Cathlete
Does anyone use HiiT by itself, as their workout for the day? Or is the idea to add something on, like weights afterwards?
So far, I've been doing it by itself. And while I feel totally exhausted and revved by the end of it, I always feel like I haven't worked out enough. Particularly the 30/30, since the "real work" is only about 20 minutes long.

Thoughts?

I use it as a substitute when I can't run outside. I don't think you need to pair it up with something but if I were to do so I would do HIIT then a stretch max.

Alisha

I use it as a quick but tough cardio on it's own or as an add-on to weight work. I would consider doing an easier SS cardio with an HiiT too. Don't think I've ever done that as of yet. What I don't do, is string the HiiT's together. If I want a longer work out that's intense I'll opt for an Imax instead.

Right now I am adding it on to one Strength workout a week. It's quick to the point and not too long that it takes away from your Strength workout. And I think Hiit once a week is just enough!!

It really depends on how I'm feeling and what rotation I'm doing. There are some days when a quick workout is a necessity--and since HiiT is tough, I still feel like I've "done something." I'm planning on using it this spring as a strength add-on.

Sometimes I'm very grateful that 30/30 is a little easier, but if you have extra energy it's really simple to turn 30/30 into a 40/20 just by watching the counter and going a little longer. I have strung the HiiTs together, but definitely NOT when I was doing the STS Strength rotation! That was on a rare day when everything was in line, and the "work" just didn't feel as hard as it usually does.

I do understand what you are saying about feeling like you haven't worked out enough because the HiiTs are so short. But I've done some reading on the purpose and benefits of HiiT workouts, and it has helped me to get past that concern (well, almost). If you have extra time when you're done, do some yoga or an extended stretch and tell yourself you're giving time to flexibility training--which is also extremely important.

Last edited:
I've done it both ways, but usually when I do it I will also do one of the Core Max's. It's still under and hour and I feel like I've gotten a great workout.

Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.