Herbal tea recommendations please

I'm looking for an alternative to water and seltzer and fruit infused water. I can't do caffeine and am not a coffee drinker, so I'm thinking a caffeine free herbal tea would be a nice change. I've just never been brave enough to buy a whole container for fear I wouldn't like it.

What are your favorite caffeine free herbal teas--brands and flavors? I'm interested in warm tea or iced tea. Tell me what you buy, where you buy it, and I'd love some tips on preparation as well. I'm a newbie.

Thanks!

Lisa

I'm a big fan of Tazo Tea. Their passionfruit is very good, but I enjoy all their tea. You can buy online. (cheaper than Starbucks) One website has free shipping if your order is over $5. Enjoy

I'm a big fan of Tazo Tea. Their passionfruit is very good, but I enjoy all their tea. You can buy online. (cheaper than Starbucks) One website has free shipping if your order is over $5. Enjoy

Hi Lisa,

I am afraid I can't advise brand as I live in UK:):)
i do drink green tea, lemon and ginger, chai and camomilla (Before bed) tea. I get it from supermarket and check the ingredients to ensure there are to their closes original state.Make sure the first three ingredients are not flavouring ones. I do drink my tea without sugar. I do not need stevia.

I do ocasionnally get my teas from health shop too.
I do drink chai when I feel like I need more than one self made lattee per day:p:eek:

All the best,

Last edited:
My absolute favorite is Stash's licorice spice (if you like licorice). It has tons of flavor, is naturally sweet, and tastes very good chilled. I also like Celestial Seasoning's Bengal Spice--especially in winter with a splash of almond milk and a bit of stevia. Yogi brand's Detox has a nice flavor warm or cold. Most brands have a peppermint tea, which is really refreshing in summer if iced. The fruity herbal teas don't have enough flavor for me.

I put 2-4 tea bags (to taste) in a quart glass bottle, fill it up with boiling water and let it steep on the counter top. It makes it easy to pour a cup when it's done, and then I can refrigerate the rest and have it throughout the day. My mom used to make sun herbal tea in the summer by putting a bunch of peppermint tea bags in a large glass jar, filling it with water, and leaving it out in the sun to steep.

Karen, I've actually heard of the Tazo brand and seen it in the stores. I will give it a try. Thank you!

BTW, based on your avatar, do you live in UT? I live in ID but have also lived in UT.

Hi Lisa,

I am afraid I can't advise brand as I live in UK:):)
i do drink green tea, lemon and ginger, chai and camomilla (Before bed) tea. I get it from supermarket and check the ingredients to ensure there are to their closes original state.Make sure the first three ingredients are not flavouring ones. I do drink my tea without sugar. I do not need stevia.

I do ocasionnally get my teas from health shop too.
I do drink chai when I feel like I need more than one self made lattee per day:p:eek:

All the best,

Hi Nathalie,

Being that you're in the UK, I bet you have superb tea options to choose from since your region is famous for tea time and all that good stuff. ;)

Thank you for the tips on checking the ingredients for quality and purity. That was not something I had even considered! I appreciate the insight.

My absolute favorite is Stash's licorice spice (if you like licorice). It has tons of flavor, is naturally sweet, and tastes very good chilled. I also like Celestial Seasoning's Bengal Spice--especially in winter with a splash of almond milk and a bit of stevia. Yogi brand's Detox has a nice flavor warm or cold. Most brands have a peppermint tea, which is really refreshing in summer if iced. The fruity herbal teas don't have enough flavor for me.

I put 2-4 tea bags (to taste) in a quart glass bottle, fill it up with boiling water and let it steep on the counter top. It makes it easy to pour a cup when it's done, and then I can refrigerate the rest and have it throughout the day. My mom used to make sun herbal tea in the summer by putting a bunch of peppermint tea bags in a large glass jar, filling it with water, and leaving it out in the sun to steep.

Thank you, Elsie. I'll check the store for those brands as well. I'm especially intrigued by the Stash licorice spice since I like the idea of not needing to add sweetener. I also appreciate the tutorial on preparation! I'm looking forward to trying out some iced varieties as the weather heats up (yay!).

I love Bigelow decaf teas. I use decaf Green tea with lemon every morning. I also love their decaf Constant Comment sometimes. They have a website Tea, Green Tea, Black Tea, decaf tea, herbal tea, tea gifts, tea chests, tea gift baskets,. For iced tea, I buy decaf Louisanne tea (made of iced tea) at the grocery store. I put one tea bag in water in the fridge for awhile. It comes out delicious -- no boiling water or anything. It's clear, good iced tea. It's all a matter of taste, so you'll probably have to try lots until you find what you love. Good luck!

I drink lots of green tea but my favorite herbal tea is Turmeric Ginger from Rishi Tea. I order it online and I love the flavors of ginger root, licorice root, orange peel and lemon grass and turmeric is so good for you too.

I also love it because it's organic and loose-leaf tea which I think tastes better than the tea bag kind. You can also order an ounce if you want to try out different flavors.

Last edited:
DixieGirl, do you find that the Sleepytime teas actually help you to sleep? Also, do the green teas have caffeine? For some reason I thought they did.

Hi Lisa, yes green tea is caffeinated but they come in decaf as well. I'm not sure if the Sleepytime teas help with my sleep or not. I'm a pretty sound sleeper, so I can't really compare to when I drink it before bed or not. I do think the herbs are relaxing though :)

Don't Be Afraid

I've just never been brave enough to buy a whole container for fear I wouldn't like it. I'd love some tips on preparation as well. I'm a newbie.
Thanks!
Lisa

Don't be afraid to return the unused portion of tea if it's gross. I've bought tea that looked & sounded like it would be delicious & healthy according to the packaging, but tasted like lead & kitty litter when it was brewed. Even once you find a brand and flavor you love (for me it was Wild Orange by Tazo) the manufacturer may change the formulation and "improve" everything you love about it right out of the tea. I buy variety packs to try different flavors & share the ones I don't love with friends & family. Personal tastes can vary greatly when it comes to tea.

The brands I enjoy are Tazo (fav flavors:organic apple red, passion, berryblossom white), Bigelow (fav flavors: lemon ginger, lemon lift), Traditionals Medicinals (fav flavors: organic spearmint & organic peppermint), and even Lipton makes some nice flavored teas. Some flavors get too strong for me if brewed more than a couple of minutes, and with others the bag can stay in all day! It takes a little experimenting. Some, like the organic apple red & passion, are great as cold drinks if they are left in the fridge overnight after brewing.

I buy most of my tea at local supermarkets & health food stores. A great on-line source to learn all about tea is https://www.harney.com/. My mom turned me on to their royal wedding tea (the tea served at William & Kate's wedding) and I loved it. Also, they send samples of other teas for you to try. It's a little pricey, but yes you can return/exchange if you are not satisfied.

* The bold flavors noted here are decaf. If it doesn't say decaf on the packaging, it isn't decaf.

:)

My favorite is Good Earth Sweet & Spicy tea, you can get it in decaf or caf. It really is sweet without the calories and I use it as a way to appease my sweet tooth when I need something.

Cindy

I love Bigelow decaf teas. I use decaf Green tea with lemon every morning. I also love their decaf Constant Comment sometimes. They have a website Tea, Green Tea, Black Tea, decaf tea, herbal tea, tea gifts, tea chests, tea gift baskets,. For iced tea, I buy decaf Louisanne tea (made of iced tea) at the grocery store. I put one tea bag in water in the fridge for awhile. It comes out delicious -- no boiling water or anything. It's clear, good iced tea. It's all a matter of taste, so you'll probably have to try lots until you find what you love. Good luck!

Exercise-lover, thanks for telling me about that website. It has an entire page of recipes, which I found interesting. I've never thought of using tea to bake. Guess I'd better find a flavor that suits me first, huh? I'm thinking the Apple Cider looks good!

I also love it because it's organic and loose-leaf tea which I think tastes better than the tea bag kind. You can also order an ounce if you want to try out different flavors.

Jane, how do you prepare loose-leaf tea? Do you strain out the herbs when you're done steeping, or is there some kind of reusable tea bag you put them in?

Don't be afraid to return the unused portion of tea if it's gross. I've bought tea that looked & sounded like it would be delicious & healthy according to the packaging, but tasted like lead & kitty litter when it was brewed. Even once you find a brand and flavor you love (for me it was Wild Orange by Tazo) the manufacturer may change the formulation and "improve" everything you love about it right out of the tea. I buy variety packs to try different flavors & share the ones I don't love with friends & family. Personal tastes can vary greatly when it comes to tea.

I think I'm going to borrow your description when I return tea I don't like to the grocery store. "Sorry, but this tasted like lead and kitty litter." :p

My favorite is Good Earth Sweet & Spicy tea, you can get it in decaf or caf. It really is sweet without the calories and I use it as a way to appease my sweet tooth when I need something.

Cindy

I do love sweet stuff, so anything that tames the sweet tooth is good for me. I'll add this to my list. Thanks Cindy!

Jane, how do you prepare loose-leaf tea? Do you strain out the herbs when you're done steeping, or is there some kind of reusable tea bag you put them in?

I use biodegradable tea bags that I get from Rishi. They are really easy to use and when you are done you just throw them in the trash. I drink a couple cups of tea a day and I use the same bag all day. They are much better than infusers that you have to wash.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.