Help me please!!!!!

wonderwoman

Cathlete
Good Afternoon
I know that this is way off of topic but my 4 year old has lice!!!!! I am really freaking out. I have 3 daughters and have been fortunate enough to have escape this so far. My youngest daughter has/had lice for about 2 weeks. I had it too but hopefully not any more. I gave her and myself 2 treatments within 8 days of each other. I've been checking her head everyday since it happened and found a baby louse but no knits yesterday ! Oh man I'm going nuts!!!
At least so far no one else has had it yet. My head is sooooo itchy and my body too. My husband thinks I'm crazy and so does everyone else in my house.
Any suggestions? I spoke to her pediatrician who referred me to the lice lady of Westchester a removal service but I'm sure they are expensive. I don't want to do another treatment. HELP ME stressed out mom here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you've already used OTC like rid then you may be want to try old fashion stuff that does work but requires some patience

olive oil or any type of oil will kill adult lice and vinegar will kill the eggs
when I was a kid my mom washed me down in vinegar and then put mayonnaise in my hair and wrapped in plastic wrap around my head ( I was around 7) for don't remember how long then rinsed us in vinegar. It worked on me and my siblings.( this was in the mid 70's);)

I know what you mean feeling like they are still on you cause when we get a patients in the ER with lice, scabies and stuff - we all laugh and get the psychological mind set they are crawling all over us.

We got elderly lady in a few weeks ago found pass out in her yard with lice all over her body and maggots under her socks. :eek:

My youngest picked up lice in 2nd grade. It wasn't that hard to get rid of. We all put full fat, regular mayonnaise on our heads for about 2 hours then washed it out. Also, all bedding was washed in hot water and dried,all stuffed animals were put in big black garbage bags for two weeks, all upholstry furniture was vacuumed, and all beds were vacuumed. It took quite a long time to do all this. And was quite expensive when you think about all the washing. Good Luck.

Beth

You've gotten good advice here. I want to add that the Center for Disease Control website has some great information. Follow the instructions on the box of shampoo and don't OVER-treat. The adult (louse) needs a warm human body to survive. Off the head they die in 24-48 hours. They don't live on any other part of the body except the head. They don't live on pets, they don't jump or fly and they don't transmit disease like a Lyme tick. Check everyones head in the house every night and nit pick, nit pick, nit pick.

Thank you for all the great advice ladies. I read all of it on the Internet and your all right. I actually just finish combing through her whole head and picked out every knit I saw. It took me about 2 hours. [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]. And I found quite a few. Thank goodness she has thin hair and it's a little above her shoulders. Hopefully got them all but yes I will be knit picking and knit picking for several days! I pray they don't come back. Thanks again for the support from one mom to another.

Oh, I feel for you...I remember the days well (daughter with long, thick hair at boarding school = nits all the time). I found that once they were clear, tea tree oil worked to help re-infestation. My favourite way was to put a couple of drops into the final rinse - but there are plenty of tea tree shampoos and conditioners available, which would be simpler.
Good look!

my DD's, their babysitter and their babysitter's five siblings as well as our neigbhour's kid all got lice at the same time. It was the Fall and lice was running through the local schools. We used tea tree oil shampoo (and tea tree oil) and it worked amazingly well. sure, i had to comb through my dd's hair with a special comb but i kinda found the experience interesting. I thought it would be scary. It was just time consuming. I was told I didn't get lice too because my hair is coloured a natural salon blonde and knits can only live on real hair. They were gone quickly.

Good luck.

Good Afternoon
I know that this is way off of topic but my 4 year old has lice!!!!! I am really freaking out. I have 3 daughters and have been fortunate enough to have escape this so far. My youngest daughter has/had lice for about 2 weeks. I had it too but hopefully not any more. I gave her and myself 2 treatments within 8 days of each other. I've been checking her head everyday since it happened and found a baby louse but no knits yesterday ! Oh man I'm going nuts!!!
At least so far no one else has had it yet. My head is sooooo itchy and my body too. My husband thinks I'm crazy and so does everyone else in my house.
Any suggestions? I spoke to her pediatrician who referred me to the lice lady of Westchester a removal service but I'm sure they are expensive. I don't want to do another treatment. HELP ME stressed out mom here.

I caught them at camp as a kid 25 years ago. They are so disgusting, I still hate to talk about it! :s I know I'm dissenting in opinion here, but I simply could not get rid of them until my primary care doc gave my mom an Rx shampoo. The OTC stuff was nowhere near as potent. I'm not kidding, one treatment with the Rx shampoo and that stuff was gone for good! I was extremely fortunate to be under an HMO back then with dirt-cheap co-pays and prescription costs, but all primary care doctors can prescribe such a shampoo, and co-pays with them tend to be lower. I don't think the shampoo costs very much, even today.

My mom also had to wash every single linen and towel in the household with hot water, Clorox bleach and powdered Tide detergent. Plus she vacuumed the floors, beds, and upholstered furniture like a fiend. Every nook and cranny of the house got vacuumed, trust me. She washed every hard floor with hot water and disinfectant cleaner (Pine Sol, I think). That all did the trick. Treating the linens and vacuuming is extremely important to get rid of the eggs, which can really be the biggest problem. Lice just love laying eggs in mattresses or sofas. (Same kind of thing with fleas on pets, frankly. THAT is a pain in the neck, too...) I know going to the doc and paying for an Rx isn't cheap, but then neither is the OTC stuff (at least in my area).

Sorry- I know the problem sucks, big time!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.