Help me cleanup my diet

bethj

Cathlete
I could use some help here. I've gotten in some bad habits lately with chocolate candy, ice cream and tostitos chips. Can anyone suggest some healthier substitutions for my crunchy craving (chips) and my sweet tooth/chocolate???? My only dietary restriction is gluten.
Beth

I am also not great with my diet, but for the crunchy cravings, try carrot sticks, green beans or some other vegetable that has a crunch to it. Seems to work for me. Good luck!

I so understand. I have the same issue. So I am. On the hunt a lot for good substitutes

I just found this one today and it is soooo good!

2 smashed bananas
1 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
1/4 c dark choc chips
Dash salt. ( optional)

Mix together well. Drop by spoonfuls on to sprayed (Pam) cookie sheet. I also flattened them a bit. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 et voila! They are really good!

I think I will also experiment adding nuts or raisins too.

Also, for crunch I find that a handful of almonds will do the trick for my munchies or a cut up apple will satisfy my crunch needs!

I almost forgot. For crunchiness...baked corn tortillas cut into triangles, sprayed with Pam. And
Lighted salted it great too...you just bake them at 375 until they are lightly golden.
Best wishes

Last edited:
Some maynotthink it's healthy but it is better then candy bar, I been eating Special K chocolate and strawberry , and instead of chips I eat carrots broccoli and tomatoes and use a light dressing, the dressing is sparingly!!!

2 smashed bananas
1 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
1/4 c dark choc chips
Dash salt. ( optional)

Mix together well. Drop by spoonfuls on to sprayed (Pam) cookie sheet. I also flattened them a bit. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 et voila! They are really good!

This looks great, and I love that it uses ingredients I always have on hand! Thanks for sharing, Tracy.

These are all great suggestions ladies, thank you!!! The kale chips I have heard of and they have a great nutritional profile. Will give them a try!!!
Beth

Healthy snack

I so understand. I have the same issue. So I am. On the hunt a lot for good substitutes

2 smashed bananas
1 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
1/4 c dark choc chips
Dash salt. ( optional)

Also, for crunch I find that a handful of almonds will do the trick for my munchies or a cut up apple will satisfy my crunch needs!

I almost forgot. For crunchiness...baked corn tortillas cut into triangles, sprayed with Pam. And
Lighted salted it great too...you just bake them at 375 until they are lightly golden.
Best wishes

Hi Travailen,

I like this recipe very much as i always have the ingredients in my shopping list. A part from chocolate!

Can I substitute: "1/4 c dark choc chips" with crushed 70%-80% minimum cocoa butter chocolate?

Almond sounds great too ;-)

Thanks for sharing

Hi Travailen,

I like this recipe very much as i always have the ingredients in my shopping list. A part from chocolate!

Can I substitute: "1/4 c dark choc chips" with crushed 70%-80% minimum cocoa butter chocolate?

Almond sounds great too ;-)

Thanks for sharing
I am not sure what cocoa butter chocolate is....but I would give it a try!

Thanks for the post--these are great suggestions. I wanted to add cucumbers to the list. Our temperature here temporarily jumped from the 60's to the 90's; and chilled, sliced cucumbers are soooo yummy and refreshing. Plus, you can munch away until you are full for next to no calories. :D

My favorite treat is 6 ounces of plain, greek yogurt blended with 1 C of frozen berries and 2 pks. of stevia--add a dash of real vanilla if you like it. I use a stick blender to get the berries adequately blended with the yogurt for an ice cream-like consistency. A food processor would also work.

It took me a couple of tries to get kale chips to bake just right (it's a fine line between getting them crispy enough and having them overdone), so if you don't like them the first time, give it another try (they're not very good if they're soggy or burnt).

I have an ounce of 72% dark chocolate just about every day. I like Ghiradelli--it doesn't taste "waxy". I've lost my taste for more sweetened chocolate. I also add Hershey's unsweetened baking cocoa to my green protein smoothies.

I too am going through a chocholate phase. I have chocolate oatmeal in the morning. It gives me enough chocolate flavor to satisfy and since i have it most days, I can turn down a lot knowing that in the morning I can sit and enjoy my chocolate oatmeal. You can use whatever you like in in. A lot of people use chocolate protein powder but I really dont like protein powder. I use dutched cocoa powder with erythritol and coconut milk (adds a sweetness too). I also add in coconut oil sometimes, cinnamon, vanilla extract, espresso powder (intensifies chocolate flavor), as well as orange zest. Once its in my bowl I add 1 oz of Ghiradelli 60% bittersweet chocolate chips and let them get melty and oh so good. Its like chocolate pudding. The little pockets of melty goodness reallybump up the chocholate flavor. This works for me and I never thought I would be eating chocolate in the morning.

Sarah

Hi ladies,

This thread has listed good healthy food. :)

To travailen,

I meant dark chocolate made of more than 70% cocoa butter instead of "waxy" fake chocolate. I like my chocolate to be as close as the real pure chocolate. :)

For the sweet tooth (something I struggle with), how about some fruit? You can make a warm dessert by coring an apple, filling the hole with raisins, covering it with cinnamon and microwaving (covered) until the apple is soft. If you don't want warm, maybe have a bowl of orange sections with blueberries, or some watermelon, or any other fruit.

Stebby

I could use some help here. I've gotten in some bad habits lately with chocolate candy, ice cream and tostitos chips. Can anyone suggest some healthier substitutions for my crunchy craving (chips) and my sweet tooth/chocolate???? My only dietary restriction is gluten.
Beth

Try reading It starts with Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig.
It Starts With Food, by Dallas & Melissa Hartwig

Expands on the Paleo lifestyle. I liked this book in particular because it talk about the nasty sugar addiction so many of us have.

Good luck

For the sweet tooth (something I struggle with), how about some fruit? You can make a warm dessert by coring an apple, filling the hole with raisins, covering it with cinnamon and microwaving (covered) until the apple is soft. If you don't want warm, maybe have a bowl of orange sections with blueberries, or some watermelon, or any other fruit.

Stebby

When its hot I love to freeze pieces of melon and grapes and putting them in a to go cup instead of stopping some where for a snack, its refreshing and no guilt.

I've been drizzling a tablespoon of Wholesome Sweeteners Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses over 6 oz plain Greek yogurt with walnuts or almonds on top. It makes me think I'm having an ice cream sundae :p!!! The molasses is packed with minerals (potassium, calcium and magnesium) and has been the thing to get me over chocolate! It's SOOOOOO YUMMY!!!!:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.