Help, discouraged...getting bigger but feel I'm doing things right

Thank you Nathalie! I would probably agree with you that I need to re-evaluate my nutrition. I can never seem to find that perfect balance between over and under eating. I also need to look further into how many carbs I should be consuming...."watch your carbs" v. "you need carbs to workout"...so I need to learn what that balance is. I checked out the link that you provided. I would say that my arms look more like Nicole's in the video on that page...even though I want them to look like Nicole's arms in her still photo :) (the one where she is wearing the red Nike sports bra (although I suppose those pictures may have been taken right before a competition :) ). I am probably about 13 pounds above my low weight in 2005, wow that sounds so long ago...it is just is not as easy as it was 8 years ago! It's just not the weight either though, I had a leaner body too....hmm, what was I doing differently back then? :)

There is a great app you can buy called "Fitness Pal". It is wonderful and helps you journal food but the best part is that it helps monitor protein, carbs and fat. You can use your smartphone camera to take pics of the barcodes on foods to get nutrition facts. It also let's you search foods both raw and packaged. It has really helped me and my daughter. My daughter's trainer and her nutritionist recommended it. It helps keep you honest. You can also input your workout calories burned each day and input your water intake. Check it out; it's free!

Best,
-Michele

Heavy lifting

Hi cherriepie,

I just would like to add my few cents to previous comments.From working out at home with Cathe for six years, I have lost weight, inches and sizes. Scale- wise i did reach plateau and was on it for years.During the plateau time i lifted both heavy and light through endurance and hypertrophy loads. I can not recall at anytime gaining size though. At some point i did feel tight in my sleeves (wearing shirts) but not to a point of changing a wardrobe!

Now my arms have toned up with definition and I love it. For some people it's probably big but I feel comfortable with what I have because I am not a skinny frame. I was not born a slender diana Ross type. :D:D:D:D Just to give you an idea. Plus her frame is not what I am looking for. I personnally like toned up slightly proportionate arms like, just to give you an idea, Nicole wilkins.

Pre-Workout Nutrition | FitnessRX for Women

That is the shape I am gaining. I love definition. Believe me if you want definition your arms need to slightly and temporarily increase . we are not talking about more than an inch and more than two pound scale-wise.

I am currently a size smaller than when I started STS. My arms now can comfortably fit into smaller size sleeves. Muscles take less space. Now each body respond differently but if it is more than 4 to five pound I would consider checking nutrition. I am not trying to point a figure but Nutrition not being right is not necessarily overeating it could be under-eating (this happen to me).
That being said I have never at any point gained more than 3 pounds since I started working out consistently six years ago. I wanted to break my plateau and the only way i managed to succeed was to re-consider my nutrition and my workout routine. That was the only way to stop deluding myself over and under EATING;).

All the very best

I know this is an older post, but I just want to second the motion of Nathalie's, so to speak. For one thing, the muscle gain can take less time to show up in mesomorphs or endomorphs than the fat loss does...so there may be a temporary period of time - up to a few months - where shirts especially will feel tighter. It depends upon your frame, but if it's like mine, the muscle gains come in almost immediately, while the fat loss takes far too much time for my tastes. :D

For another thing, I think we have to keep a longer-term perspective. Improving our current figure is an important goal to many of us, myself included. As a woman, I don't like getting bigger in the least, especially since I have always been big (and tall...there's no hiding out for me, LOL). However, it is my humble opinion that we need to build a reserve of strength and endurance for the years to come. People may completely disagree with me, and that is perfectly okay, but I'm training for the long haul. I want to be able to do a plank in my eighties with perfect form, for example. :) (I'm in my thirties now.) It takes doing some heavy training to accomplish that, in my case, at least periodically. I'm willing to handle a little extra bulk in the present, if it means making great strides in strength and/or endurance levels. If those fitness levels aren't improving after a month or more and you're bulking up, absolutely- drop the heavy training. If you are sticking with higher-rep/lower-weight training and your strength, endurance, speed, and energy levels are increasing, great. If your figure goals are also being met with that style of training, that's also fantastic. However, if like me you are doing that and hitting a continual plateau in your fitness and/or figure goals, it's time to reevaluate that strategy. I got to where I was actually detraining with only doing higher-rep, lower-weight (generally total-body workout) routines. Even though I was working harder all the time, a sweatfest daily in fact, I was not working smarter.

Also, I'll add that periodizing one's training is good to help minimize that bulking up, overtraining, burning out, and detraining, while still building strength and endurance over the long run. :)

-Liz

I'm also one that gains muscular girth with heavy lifting, and being short, it's so much more noticeable and to me, not the look I want. I can't wear blouses b/c they are too tight in the shoulders and upper arms. However, I do like being strong. I'm still searching for that elusive magic solution for me to be strong, but without the size. A little more definition would be nice, but I'm an Endomorph and I've never been defined no matter how on target my diet was.

I also was gaining doing STS. So I dropped it down to lighter weights and only do it once or twice a week now. I also had to increase my cardio. I thought I was getting a good workout until I remembered that when I was doing classes at the gym, I was TOTALLY winded. Working out at home, I wasn't nearly so.

I just read a post somewhere that you can't lose weight or inches while strength training. You have to do one or the other. So I decided to focus on the weight loss first, and just keep my muscles where they are now (which isn't great, but good enough).

I also restarted my Zumba classes. I get such a better workout! And it is so much more fun. I will still do Cathe, but only 1 or 2 days.

As for eating, the Zone was the first plan that made me understand about carbs , protein and fat. It is very balanced, and I lost a ton of weight on it.

I also was gaining doing STS. So I dropped it down to lighter weights and only do it once or twice a week now. I also had to increase my cardio. I thought I was getting a good workout until I remembered that when I was doing classes at the gym, I was TOTALLY winded. Working out at home, I wasn't nearly so.

I just read a post somewhere that you can't lose weight or inches while strength training. You have to do one or the other. So I decided to focus on the weight loss first, and just keep my muscles where they are now (which isn't great, but good enough).

I also restarted my Zumba classes. I get such a better workout! And it is so much more fun. I will still do Cathe, but only 1 or 2 days.

As for eating, the Zone was the first plan that made me understand about carbs , protein and fat. It is very balanced, and I lost a ton of weight on it.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Bret Contreras brought that up in his blog. It is very hard to lose fat and gain muscle all at once, except for beginners. They are somewhat contradictory goals. The former requires a calorie deficit and a fair amount of cardio, the latter (usually) requiring the opposite. I am not an expert in the least, but I generally have to do the cardio-heavy, calorie-deficit part far more as an endomorph. The only problem is when doing that no longer works and/or when fitness gains of any kind disappear. Then it's time to break out the heavy weights, eat a bit more, cut the cardio down a tad, accept some bulk...at least for me.

I also accept that I am an endomorph, and am designed to hold fat even with intense exercise and a clean diet. It would take a lifetime supply of amphetamines, a Draconian diet, hours of exercise a day (far beyond what is health-building), and some serious plastic surgery to look permanently cut and defined. :) My personal best won't be the same as what my combination ectomorph/mesomorph high school best friend can achieve. That isn't a copout, it's just reality. I still train hard, eat clean, reach for my peak of fitness and health. I just don't get into a destructive cycle of comparing my body to a type unlike my own. There's nothing wrong with being an endomorph. But that's just me. :)

UNLVCrjChick, I am glad to hear of someone else who had great results with Chalene Extreme. She talks about it making you tighter and slimmer. She's right! That's a great program and she uses pretty heavy weights. Love that program!

I know this is an older post, but I've been in the same situation too. I ran for many years until I had to quit almost 10 years ago due to knee problems. About that time, I discovered Jari Love and the Get Ripped series which I did for my weight training and my elliptical for cardio. I started working out with Cathe in 2010. I don't consider myself to be overweight and I try to eat a sensible diet, but I'm not perfect, but I'm very dedicated to my workouts. I got hooked on lifting heavy weights until I saw some pictures of myself and I looked HUGE and I was so embarrassed. Not huge in the sense of muscled up, I just looked big and bulky all over. I just about cried when I saw the pictures, thinking, do I REALLY look that godawful big. It made me look overweight actually. Last summer, I quit weights all together and started Turbo Fire and got hooked on it. It was all cardio with some HIIT training, now two of the routines did use resistance tubing, but it was different than using heavy weights. My biggest problem still is my triceps look much bigger compared to my biceps and I don't like how I look in photos taken from a certain angle. It has been a battle, it seems the scale is just stuck around 133-134 and no matter what I do, I can't get it to budge. Cathe is lucky, she has the body type that can definitely put on lean muscle but still look lean. I'm taller and all it made me do was look out of proportion in some areas. I miss lifting heavy, I really do, but I don't like the way it made me look. I looked my best when I weighed about 129 pounds, but I'd probably have to resort to extreme measures to ever get to that weight again.

I know this is an older post, but I've been in the same situation too. I ran for many years until I had to quit almost 10 years ago due to knee problems. About that time, I discovered Jari Love and the Get Ripped series which I did for my weight training and my elliptical for cardio. I started working out with Cathe in 2010. I don't consider myself to be overweight and I try to eat a sensible diet, but I'm not perfect, but I'm very dedicated to my workouts. I got hooked on lifting heavy weights until I saw some pictures of myself and I looked HUGE and I was so embarrassed. Not huge in the sense of muscled up, I just looked big and bulky all over. I just about cried when I saw the pictures, thinking, do I REALLY look that godawful big. It made me look overweight actually. Last summer, I quit weights all together and started Turbo Fire and got hooked on it. It was all cardio with some HIIT training, now two of the routines did use resistance tubing, but it was different than using heavy weights. My biggest problem still is my triceps look much bigger compared to my biceps and I don't like how I look in photos taken from a certain angle. It has been a battle, it seems the scale is just stuck around 133-134 and no matter what I do, I can't get it to budge. Cathe is lucky, she has the body type that can definitely put on lean muscle but still look lean. I'm taller and all it made me do was look out of proportion in some areas. I miss lifting heavy, I really do, but I don't like the way it made me look. I looked my best when I weighed about 129 pounds, but I'd probably have to resort to extreme measures to ever get to that weight again.

I guess I'm in the Cathe department that I can lift heavy and still stay a small size.

But I also get bored so easily and heavy lifting for extended periods give me elbow tendonitis so what I do

is do heavy lifting one week like meso 3, the next week meso 2, third week meso 1, then another week I do total body stuff, another will be metabolic only (just an example I use other Cathe program and my own wrote up) I may do 2 week of a style but the point is I'm not going to do months of anything :p

What I do is periodization to the extreme cause it keeps me interested and having fun. I work ER just to let you know my periodization . I thrive on something different all the time :D

So my result are a very tight "hard" body as my DH tell me all the time. My 19 yo son is dating a young lady that doesn't ' workout. He came home the other day gave me a hug and its like mom you are hard not soft like his gf LOL. My baby boy is growing up and this is first "serious" girlfriend. He is paying attention to stuff mom doesn't want to know about o_O;)

so you may want to try something like I do so you don't give up anything

also I still continue to get stronger I keep lifting heavier but not sizing up. When I did straight hypertrophy I got to big in the shoulders and arms for my clothes. The way I train now I'm stronger but still staying small.

Good Luck

Last edited:
ashaw, sounds like you are very dedicated & a fit person, so hey .....great for that!!! :) Of course there are some who do not really enjoy the muscled look, but you could still be strong perhaps lifting heavy with very low reps (under 6) and not get "disproportionate" hypertrophy. (if you still like weights that is. You certainly don't have to do anything you are not into).
This may not be what you want to hear, but I am thinking that nitpicking yourself between 129 lbs and 133 lbs is uncalled for negative self-talk. I do it as well from time to time. :( I think the only person noticing it on you and your tall body (we can gain a few & no one sees! hehee!) is you. Those angles? Only YOU see them. If you are eating well and eating enough, then there is no need to worry yourself over those couple of pounds. If you aren't eating well or eating enough, then it may be time to look at this. Yes. Not eating enough over periods of time does cause weight retention in some areas of our bodies. Please do not consider going 'extreme' as you describe. There is no need.
Considering that triceps have three muscle heads & the biceps have two, it is natural for them to appear a bit larger on some people. Since you do not want any noticeable hypertrophy, straight-up arm workouts are probably out, so I would recommend working on upper body centric bodyweight exercises.

Such an interesting thread...loved the links. Thanks to those who posted. Here are my 2 cents worth:
-I try not to look at the pounds on the scale - that doesn't really tell me much about my health or my appearance. Instead I'm big on getting my % body fat down to a healthy level and focus on program(s) that help me get to a healthy percent of body fat.

-I had a personal trainer I hired say she was perplexed why my % body fat was high considering the awesome (Cathe developed) fitness routine I followed and the excellent results I had on her fitness testing. So I can relate to some of the posters above. She suggested I hire a sports nutritionist. Instead of spending the money on this, I bought a couple of books, researched it and experimented. What ended up working for me is changing up my diet! My % body fat went down from 36% to 21%. Like desertambrosia's fat burning workout link above says - it really comes down to DIET. For me, my body just doesn't do well with added sugars (I still eat lots of fruit however), bread/pasta/cereals and I don't have milk products as previously. Omlettes with veggies and a protien along with fruit for breakfast, giant salads with chicken or another protien on it for lunch, greek yogert with fruit and bran buds for snack and more delicious lean protien and veggies for dinner. Yes, I cheat - I love to eat out and have an occasional craft beer, but reducing bread products and sugar is huge!!

-I try not to look at photos of myself often. That can drive me crazy. Instead I focus on feeling good about my accomplishments and gains in strength and stamina, and decreasing the fat I can pinch (just don't want much flab!).

-I vary up my rotations. I think we all need some heavy lifting, some endurance work (STS meso 1 rocks that!), some hiit and to do other activities that we enjoy (for me that is Cathe's kickboxing routines, hiking and running). For me the incredible benefits of lifting heavy now and then are worth it!!

I'm another one who loves to lift heavy and the only time I would consider myself to be "bigger" than I wanted was when I had a layer of fat covering the muscle. Once I reigned in the nutritional aspect of things and added more HIIT/ metabolic training the fat melted off and i have great muscle to show! - not that I'm bragging lol! I do find the diet is more important now as i age and i'm also gluten sensitive so stick to a lot of veges/ salads/ lean meat, rarely have grains of any kind but that's by choice even though there are gluten free varieties. It's all a balance. I'm not that big either, only 5'2" and 111lbs but manage to maintain my weight and definitely eat around 1800 calories /day at least but clean eating makes a difference for me.

Such an interesting thread...loved the links. Thanks to those who posted. Here are my 2 cents worth:
-I try not to look at the pounds on the scale - that doesn't really tell me much about my health or my appearance. Instead I'm big on getting my % body fat down to a healthy level and focus on program(s) that help me get to a healthy percent of body fat.

-I had a personal trainer I hired say she was perplexed why my % body fat was high considering the awesome (Cathe developed) fitness routine I followed and the excellent results I had on her fitness testing. So I can relate to some of the posters above. She suggested I hire a sports nutritionist. Instead of spending the money on this, I bought a couple of books, researched it and experimented. What ended up working for me is changing up my diet! My % body fat went down from 36% to 21%. Like desertambrosia's fat burning workout link above says - it really comes down to DIET. For me, my body just doesn't do well with added sugars (I still eat lots of fruit however), bread/pasta/cereals and I don't have milk products as previously. Omlettes with veggies and a protien along with fruit for breakfast, giant salads with chicken or another protien on it for lunch, greek yogert with fruit and bran buds for snack and more delicious lean protien and veggies for dinner. Yes, I cheat - I love to eat out and have an occasional craft beer, but reducing bread products and sugar is huge!!

-I try not to look at photos of myself often. That can drive me crazy. Instead I focus on feeling good about my accomplishments and gains in strength and stamina, and decreasing the fat I can pinch (just don't want much flab!).

-I vary up my rotations. I think we all need some heavy lifting, some endurance work (STS meso 1 rocks that!), some hiit and to do other activities that we enjoy (for me that is Cathe's kickboxing routines, hiking and running). For me the incredible benefits of lifting heavy now and then are worth it!!

Hi Jane, could you please share what books you read about nutrition? Thanks!

I completely agree with you about reducing bread products and sugar. Makes such a big difference!

I read Nancy Clark's "Sports Nutrition Guidebook" published by Human Kinetics. I have the 5th edition published in 2014. It is well researched and footnoted and includes some recipes. She has a great chapter entitled: Assessing Your Body: Fat, Fit or Fine? that really relates to this discussion. She states that, "Few athletes naturally possess their desired physique." She notes one client, a competitive athlete, who felt she was feeling fat. But once her body fat was measured she discovered she was lean. As Nancy Clark said to her, "You simply have a lot of muscle and a big bone structure. You have very little excess fat." I like that perspective of working within our genetics and with a positive body image to enhance our health and athletic performance.

The other book I read is "Powerfuel Food: Planning Meals for Maximum Performance" by Angela Dufour. It may be hard to obtain as it was printed by a small press (Glen Margaret Publishing) in Nova Scotia, Canada (2013). Angela Dufour is a sports nutritionist & dietitian working in Halifax. I was thinking of going to work with her in person but bought her book instead. The book has lots of good, specific suggestions for meal planning. Each of the over 100 recipes was analysed at a local university and the nutrient content is broken down and listed.

But if someone doesn't want to go into all that detail, simply cutting out the junk goes a long way!

You have very little excess fat." I like that perspective of working within our genetics and with a positive body image to enhance our health and athletic performance.

I could'nt agree more with this above. One would think the problem would be a certain training protocol is to blame for
aesthetic imbalance. Sometimes, we can just work with what we have and embrace it. Then after choose the right nutrition
plan and the appropriate training protocol. JMO:)

But I also get bored so easily and heavy lifting for extended periods give me elbow tendonitis so what I do

is do heavy lifting one week like meso 3, the next week meso 2, third week meso 1, then another week I do total body stuff, another will be metabolic only (just an example I use other Cathe program and my own wrote up) I may do 2 week of a style but the point is I'm not going to do months of anything :p

What I do is periodization to the extreme cause it keeps me interested and having fun. I work ER just to let you know my periodization . I thrive on something different all the time :D

I agree with this above, Periodization is the way to go.
Cross training for cardio to prevent any boredom:):)

Hi Jane,
Thanks for the recommendation for "Powerfuel Food: Planning Meals for Maximum Performance". I was able to order it through Chapters Indigo. It should be here shortly...
Jocelyne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.