Hand Cramps

robin8r

Cathlete
Cathe, This is my first post but I've been reading and learning from your boards for quite awhile!

My question: Whenever I do an all strength workout (i.e. ME, PUB, PowerHour, etc) my hands cramp terribly, sometimes hurting for a couple days! There have actually been times when my hands give out before my muscles! I've tried shaking them out and stretching them throughout the workouts but it still persists! Do you have any recommendations as to either eliminate the cramping or reduce the length of the aches?

I LOVE your workouts and am amazed that as I hit 40 in a couple months I am in the best shape of my life! Thanks!

Terri:)

You're probably holding your weights too tight. Relax your grip. Hold on just enough to not drop the weight. Think very relaxed and your hands will begin to feel better. Make sure you're not lifting too heavy, either, forcing you to hold on tight.

I'm not Cathe, but....

Often when you're working a body part that's stronger than your hands (especially lats & traps), it causes hand cramps. Lifting straps can prevent this. They can be used for exercises that involve pulling motions (totally useless for any kind of pushing--i.e. bench presses).

Thank you so much for the hand strap info. I have never heard of them but will be sure to check them out!

I really don't believe that I am lifting too heavy. I do try to keep my grip lighter but will really concentrate on it! The targeted muscles are getting worked to fatigue using proper form and I've been lifting weights for over a year. I guess I just need to keep strengthening my hands and take ibuprofen! ;(

Terri

Just another suggestion...

I have 2 different kinds of weights, only because they dont sale the same brand for 12 pounds as the rest of my weights. My 12's hurt my hands oh so bad because the grip is bigger. The weight is wrapped with a foam material for weights making the grip bigger and my hand is more open. But when I used all the other weights they have a much smaller grip bar that doesn't hurt my hand.

Try using a small grip handle for your hand weights. I know there are so many varities out there and the ones in color sure are cute to have but those are the ones that have the extra material that make the grip bigger. This might help.

Also try using gloves for weight lifting, that also helped me out and kept my palms soft. If you do use gloves, make sure they are the right size. With your hand flexed out you are not suppose to have extra material. So if your hand is flexed you can't grab and pull out some material from the glove.

Hope this helped you, and good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.