Gym Style Starting Weights...

robin8r

Cathlete
I've been previewing the Gym Style Series this evening and I'm wondering what weights I should use to start.

For most of Cathe's workouts I can match her weights or come close.

These look insanely difficult so I'm thinking of starting about 5 pounds below her weight levels. Does this sound realistic for the first time or should I start even a little lighter? I want to be able to complete the workouts! :)

I DO realize that there will be a learning curve as I actually do the workouts but I don't want to start the workouts then overdue it so that I cannot finish them!

Thanks!

Terri

Hi Terri,
Don't the Gym Styles scare you, they may look hard because they do contain some less familiar exercises/reps/positions/etc., and the are challenging, but they aren't insanely difficult. If you have done any of Cathe's recent weight videos and can usually match her weight than I would suggest you try to match her weight for those body parts you know you are stronger on, (you can always switch to a lower weight if it is too difficult, just keep them handy and you probably won't miss more than one rep).
For body parts where you feel a little weaker, don't be afraid to go lighter and keep the heavier weights handy so you can go up near the end of a set if you aren't reaching muscle failure.
Just keep a journal and record the weights you use so that you can remember next time if you needed to adjust.
Just be wary of Chest and Triceps, it will hurt while you're doing it, but it will make you a little, uh, sore the next day. Yeah, just, um, a little sore...
Also, the calf work in GS Legs has been known to bring on tears, so watch out for that one as well}(
Let us know how it goes!
Mattea

I had to go lower on the weights. The Gym Styles were my introduction to Cathe...and let me tell ya what an introduction!!!! But if you're used to the fast paced nature of her weighted routines (which I wasn't...I was used to more recovery periods between sets) you probably won't have as difficult a time as I did. Now that I'm more familiar with her style...and my muscles a little more used to the "endurance" nature to her workouts (minimal recovery periods)...I'm able to use more weight than when I first started out, and come pretty close to matching her with most exercises, if not exceeding her in some.

I'd have to agree with Mattea...Chest and Triceps is a BEAST!!! I swear one of the toughest weight workouts I've ever done. I have to split that one up as my triceps get entirely too fatigued from all of that grueling chest work. And the calf work on GS Legs had my calves LOCKED for 3 days!!!! Not just sore...LOCKED!! Be very careful with that one the first time you do it.

Other than that don't be scared :D . They are lots of fun and with time become much more doable (well except maybe those drop set pushups x( x( ).

Deni

Thanks!

I have to say that the thought o doing 72 pushups in one workout seems a little beastly! (Even for Cathe!) :)

Actually I'm really looking forward to the challenge! I hit the first one this afternoon! Probably the Back, Shoulder & Biceps. I have to be careful with an elbow so I find that doing biceps first allows me a stronger workout than when I do triceps and chest first. I'll do legs tomorrow then hit Chest & Tris on Sunday.

Thanks for the advice!

Terri

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back