Gym Style DVD's

Doing your Chest & Triceps Gym Style workout and Back,Shoulders,and Biceps workout you do each set with little recovery time before doing another set. I suppose this is because of the cost of doing a dvd production. Idealy should one rest ,say for 2 mintues, between sets?

There are many opinions on rest periods between sets.

I don't agree that the rest time in the dvd is due to dvd production AT ALL !

I like to go from one exercise to another with short rests between sets, it keeps my heart rate up and works in cardio along with my weight training.

When watching the professional weight trainers at the gym the only time I see them resting 1-2 min. is when they are benching or squating huge amounts of weight.

I also don't think cost dictates the rest -- if you want proof of that, check out Slow & Heavy!

Not Cathe - just my thoughts

Doing your Chest & Triceps Gym Style workout and Back,Shoulders,and Biceps workout you do each set with little recovery time before doing another set. I suppose this is because of the cost of doing a dvd production. Idealy should one rest ,say for 2 mintues, between sets?

Resting time is actually a very well thought out part of every training (with a good trainer). When you have Cathes full collection ;) (we all eventually do)you'll see that she varies the rest time just as she does the type of training, the reps, the tempo, the exercises.
STS, as meticulously explained in the STS area, also has varied rest times in the Meso Cycles....I dont think cost has one thing at all to do with that Series!
Its very easy for many PTs or readers of fitness to get into a rut with training tempos, techniques & even rest periods...As with any great strength training program changing things up is important. Usually the rest periods come from the type of lifting you're doing in a particular session. If you're lifting for endurance and you take a 2 minute break - well some might call that a vacation;)

Rest Time is important, it's not part of the [cost of production] on a video. [Cathe plans rests for our benifit] It actually gives your muscles time to recover and prepar for the next set.

Example, I was doing a heavy workout rotation with some friends...this one example was when doing Pyramid Upper Body, up only. I upped 15/20/24 for Bicep curls...my breaks were longer than Cathe's because we were going as heavy as we could. We were actually taking the time to pause the video and actually recover...becuase I would have never been able to go do those 24's without a break/recovery period.

Last edited:
With a 15 second rest you get 80% of your recovery. When lifting to failure you need more time, when not lifting to failure, you don't. Most of the Cathe DVDs do not lift to failure.

You can always pause the DVD and take a longer rest. I do this all the time with the Gym Styles. I tend to lift heavy even when the pace is faster, so I need the rest time. I'm talking 30 to 60 seconds - nothing longer than that.

Carol
:)

I agree with Carol--if I need more rest, I just pause the player and take it. It's my workout, after all:)

Maggie

I hit pause on almost all of the Cathe strength training DVDs. If the DVD says the workout is 30 minutes, it will always take me 40 to 45, especially the lower body workouts. I can't just keep going like her.

I pulled out Legs & Glutes the other night and I had forgotten how quickly that one moves between exercises. I am always amazed at her strength and endurance. I think I have the strength part, just not as much endurance.

Monica

I can't just keep going like her.

I pulled out Legs & Glutes the other night and I had forgotten how quickly that one moves between exercises. I am always amazed at her strength and endurance. I think I have the strength part, just not as much endurance.

Monica

Hahaha. I just did L&G this morning and thought to myself "Am I the only one who has to pause after some of these exercises and catch my breath?" I know some day I will get it all the way through at Cathe's pace (okay, I HOPE some day I will...).

There are many opinions on rest periods between sets.

I don't agree that the rest time in the dvd is due to dvd production AT ALL !

I like to go from one exercise to another with short rests between sets, it keeps my heart rate up and works in cardio along with my weight training.

When watching the professional weight trainers at the gym the only time I see them resting 1-2 min. is when they are benching or squating huge amounts of weight.

Ditto! :cool:

Why is everyone on my case about dvd production. I wish I hadn't put that in there. It's just I thought it was good to take a rest between sets cause your muscels needed to recover.

Did you think I was taking a swipe at Cathie and you coming to her defense? I can't imagaine not working out with her dvd's.

I pause all the time......but I suppose we all could go without pausing IF WE WERE WILLING TO LOWER OUR WEIGHTS SUFFICIENTLY. I'm just not, too stubborn. hehe.

Why is everyone on my case about dvd production. I wish I hadn't put that in there. It's just I thought it was good to take a rest between sets cause your muscels needed to recover.

Did you think I was taking a swipe at Cathie and you coming to her defense? I can't imagaine not working out with her dvd's.

It didn't seem to me that anyone thought that - it just seemed that they were trying answer your question. And I think it was a great question to ask. I'm newer to heavy weight lifting, and all the information that everyone had in this thread I found useful. So, don't feel bad - I'm glad you asked the question!! I think it was a great one!! :)

[

Example, I was doing a heavy workout rotation with some friends...this one example was when doing Pyramid Upper Body, up only. I upped 15/20/24 for Bicep curls...my breaks were longer than Cathe's because we were going as heavy as we could. We were actually taking the time to pause the video and actually recover...becuase I would have never been able to go do those 24's without a break/recovery period.

15/20/24 on PUB biceps??? Oh, I am impressed. I was awfully proud of
myslef when I was able to do 12/15/20. Gives me something to look forward to. *gulp*

Nan

15/20/24 on PUB biceps??? Oh, I am impressed. I was awfully proud of
myslef when I was able to do 12/15/20. Gives me something to look forward to. *gulp*

Nan

Thanks Nan! I love working out and i love building muscle. I ride Thoroughbreds for fun and I need the strength to hold them back...they are strong creatures and upper body and arm strength is so important...those legs come in handy too!

So no one pauses for a few minutes to change diapers, hold the dog back from barking at the mailman, you all do it cause your lifting heavy weights? Maybe I should go heavier knowing I might get a longer than planned recovery.

So no one pauses for a few minutes to change diapers, hold the dog back from barking at the mailman, you all do it cause your lifting heavy weights? Maybe I should go heavier knowing I might get a longer than planned recovery.

I pause to wipe butts (someone always poops when I work out!), answer the phone, break up fights, scream at the dog, check my DH's blood sugar that has to be checked rightthisverysecond.....

Pausing between sets... novel idea! :p

I hit pause on almost all of the Cathe strength training DVDs.

I do the same (though it's 'chapter back' for me, and I'd say 1/2 of the workouts. Unfortunately, my typical 'chapter back' MO doesn't work well on the Hardcore workouts, because their chapter points are poorly placed for it, so 'pause' would work better).

I just need/want more recovery time so I can lift heavier. (I suspect that ectomorphs like I partly am, may benefit from more recovery, both between workouts and within workouts. It works for me).

The beauty of working out at home, instead of in a class, is that YOU decide what works best for you. Need/want more rest? Take it! I do. If I didn't, my collection of Cathe DVD would be much smaller than it is now, because they wouldn't work for me 'as-is.'

I firmly believe that we should be our own best personal trainers, and educate ourselves, and learn what works for us.

I pause to wipe butts (someone always poops when I work out!), answer the phone, break up fights, scream at the dog, check my DH's blood sugar that has to be checked rightthisverysecond.....

Pausing between sets... novel idea! :p

:eek::D

(I'd leave it at that, but this forum software doesn't like this 'too-short' message!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.