Gripe about "natural" products

amybajamy

Cathlete
I was looking at "natural" deodorants and was disgusted to see that all of the ones on the shelf except 2 contain propylene glycol which is a chemical and one that I happen to be allergic to. It was listed as the first ingredient too. I guess a product only has to have some natural ingredients in it to be labeled natural. I bought the Avalon Organics peppermint roll on. I've never tried a deodorant without aluminum in it before so I sure hope it works!

RE: Gripe about

I hope it works for you, but when I first switched from regulary antiperspirant to natural deodorant, I had a hard time find one that was effective. I finally settled on the The Crystal and have been set ever since. No ingreds except natural salts. HTH!

Carol

Hi Amy,

I agree that marketers have really exploited the term "natural" so that its become meaningless. I've used the Avalon Rosemary deodorant and it works if you're not a sweater. I tend to perspire in my armpits so I can only use Avalon deodorant if it's cool outside or at night. I've also tried one by Home Health that does a much better job of keeping me dry but for some reason, it makes my armpits itch.x( Here are the ingredients for the unscented kind: Algae extract, Aloe Vera Gel, Deionized Water, Witch Hazel, Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda), Herbal Extracts of )Fennel, Hops, Chamomile, Balm Mint, Mistletoe and Yarrow), Grapefruit Seed Extract.

Tracey
"Where there's a will, there's a way."

Tracey,

Your post brings another question to mind. The Avalon deodorant lists the bad things that they don't use in their product, parabens, harsh preservatives, and also grapefruit seed extract, but they have grapefruit seed extract in their shampoo. I haven't been able to find out what the potential problem with grapefruit seed extract is. Maybe that's why it makes your armpits itch. Thanks for your response.

Carol,

I looked at the website for Crystal deodorant and it looks very interesting, I think I'll try it if I don't like the Avalon. Thanks.

Amy,

I think the reason that some companies see grapefruit seed extract as an ingredient to be avoided is because there are several studies that have determined that the only reason grapefuit seed extract has antimicrobial activity is because it is often doctored with synthethic preservatives, including parabens. I've pasted one such study below. I suspect that one of the ingredients in the Home Health deodorant is the source and it could very well be the grapefruit seed extract.

This abstract is from PubMed.

Von Woedtke T, Schluter B, Pflegel P, Lindequist U, Julich WD. Institute of Pharmacy, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany. Aspects of the antimicrobial efficacy of grapefruit seed extract and its relation to preservative substances contained. Pharmazie 1999, Jun:54(6):452-6

The antimicrobial efficacy as well as the content of preservative agents of six commercially available grapefruit seed extracts were examined. Five of the six extracts showed a high growth inhibiting activity against the test germs Bacillus subtilis SBUG 14, Micrococcus flavus SBUG 16, Staphylococcus aureus SBUG 11, Serratia marcescens SBUG 9, Escherichia coli SBUG 17, Proteus mirabilis SBUG 47, and Candida maltosa SBUG 700. In all of the antimicrobial active grapefruit seed extracts, the preservative benzethonium chloride was detected by thin layer chromatography. Additionally, three extracts contained the preserving substances triclosan and methyl parabene. In only one of the grapefruit seed extracts tested no preservative agent was found. However, with this extract, as well as with several self-made extracts from seed and juiceless pulp of grapefruits (Citrus paradisi), no antimicrobial activity could be detected (standard serial broth dilution assay, agar diffusion test). Thus, it is concluded that the potent as well as nearly universal antimicrobial activity being attributed to grapefruit seed extract is merely due to the synthetic preservative agents contained within. Natural products with antimicrobial activity do not appear to be present.

>I agree that marketers have really exploited the term
>"natural" so that its become meaningless.

So true. When they can call peanut butter that contains palm oil and sugar "natural," you know it's not safe to rely on the term.

Vinegar on a cotton ball works extemely well as a deodorant for me. The smell goes away as soon as it dries.

Vinegar for deodorant! I will give it a try. How creative of you. Do you use plain white distilled or apple cider vinegar?

Cheryl

I had a teacher in junior high that used fresh lemon juice for deodorant because she was allergic to most brands (including the "natural" ones). The thing is that with deodorants without antiperspirants you have to reapply often during the day. You won't smell your own BO, but others will. I hope you find something that works.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.