Get Glutes Program

Cupcake

Cathlete
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has tried the online Get Glutes program? I have been very curious about it. But I was looking for something that can be done at home.
I regret I don't own a Roman chair or reverse hyper extension machine ( no the Swiss ball option does not really make a good sub no matter what most people seem to think ) or a Huge Squat cage in my garage.
But they did say in an e- mail that you don't need it initially.
I was wondering if the program is progressive ( hopefully not expecting heavy hip thrusts the first month )
I have Bret Contreras' book but some of those step ups look very daunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am working with a ridiculously stubborn pancake flat butt that refuses to grow. I seem to get the quads and hammies to get defined, no problem but the darn butt is being an absolute ass.

I am working with a ridiculously stubborn pancake flat butt that refuses to grow. I seem to get the quads and hammies to get defined, no problem but the darn butt is being an absolute ass.

I was hoping someone would have chimed in regarding Get Glutes program. I have not done
Bret contreras program as yet. I do follow his articles though.

Here is a thread that would help, I hope. What I would advise is when you do compound exercises such as
squat and lunges, squat/lunge as low as you can. This would remove the main tension from your quads. Instead of doing
traditional deadlift, do one leg deadlift. HTH

http://cathe.com/forum/threads/rounder-glutes.280640/

http://cathe.com/can-you-build-glutes-without-increasing-the-size-of-your-thighs

I have been a Get Glutes member for over a year now. I got in when they had a lifetime membership deal. I have a squat cage, roman chair (can be used for back extensions, 45 degree back extensions, and reverse hypers) and plenty of heavy plates so I can go pretty heavy without needing a gym. I also am blessed with a natural bubble butt but I love working my legs and butt and really enjoyed Strong Curves.

The program is meant to be progressive not only from month to month but also within the month. They want you to do the first week at a lighter weight and work your way up so that by week 4 you are lifting at your heaviest. The next month starts over with completely different exercises so you could have heavy squats in month 1 and not again until month 4. I would say every month, they have several exercises that are done in the low rep, heavy weight range. Most of these are variations of squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts or bridges done for 3-6 reps. If I remember right the first month has 1-leg hip thrusts done in the 12-15 rep range for 1 of the workouts, American hip thrusts done for 10 reps for another workout, and bridges done in the 12-15 rep range for another. It also has front squats for 5 reps and Bulgarian split squats for 5 reps. So those are meant to be done heavy.

If you don't own a roman chair for back extensions, you could always try straight leg band pull throughs or kb swings.

You could sign up for one month and if you don't like it don't renew.

Hope some of this helped.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has tried the online Get Glutes program? I have been very curious about it. But I was looking for something that can be done at home.
I regret I don't own a Roman chair or reverse hyper extension machine ( no the Swiss ball option does not really make a good sub no matter what most people seem to think ) or a Huge Squat cage in my garage.
But they did say in an e- mail that you don't need it initially.
I was wondering if the program is progressive ( hopefully not expecting heavy hip thrusts the first month )
I have Bret Contreras' book but some of those step ups look very daunting.

Hi Cupcake - I started Bret's programme, but I never finished. I can't for the life of me remember why. I've looked for the spreadsheet I created - but can't find it! I'm obviously missing a chunk of my life...I'll try again to find it so I can give some detail.

Deep squats (AtoG) are wonderful for the glutes. It's one of the reasons I've stopped lifting to dvds - the timing is off if I want to go deep, but the instructor is going to parallel (especially since I'm tall, which also slows me down). Heavy thrusts are also great, but work the hamstrings as well. I find my 1RM for thrusts is almost that of my deadlift, so I get under my BB after a DL session, and I thrust! Another great exercise is step ups, but it needs to be high. Your knee needs to be above your hip to feel it in the glute. If you don't feel safe doing it that way, you can bend your trailing leg to lower your hips. My problem with that is that I tend to cheat and push off the rear foot! Final exercise would be reverse lunges. They're great for me, as they work the hip flexor / upper quad of the rear leg, and then the forward glute. Oh boy can it hurt when you push off that back leg! Deadlifts are more of a hamstring / back exercise for me (although they're a favourite of mine, I wouldn't say they're necessary for glutes).

So a good programme would be:
High step - 3 sets 15 reps each leg (get those glutes firing)
AtoG back squats - 3 sets 8-12 reps, heavy BB. If you can't get low with a back squat, sub a goblet squat
Reverse lunges 3 sets 8-12 reps each side with a heavy BB
Hip thrusts - AMAP 80%deadlift 1RM
Finishing off with curtsey lunges 20 each side and a few minutes of fire walkers

That would have me hobbling the next day!

I have been a Get Glutes member for over a year now. I got in when they had a lifetime membership deal. I have a squat cage, roman chair (can be used for back extensions, 45 degree back extensions, and reverse hypers) and plenty of heavy plates so I can go pretty heavy without needing a gym. I also am blessed with a natural bubble butt but I love working my legs and butt and really enjoyed Strong Curves.

The program is meant to be progressive not only from month to month but also within the month. They want you to do the first week at a lighter weight and work your way up so that by week 4 you are lifting at your heaviest. The next month starts over with completely different exercises so you could have heavy squats in month 1 and not again until month 4. I would say every month, they have several exercises that are done in the low rep, heavy weight range. Most of these are variations of squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts or bridges done for 3-6 reps. If I remember right the first month has 1-leg hip thrusts done in the 12-15 rep range for 1 of the workouts, American hip thrusts done for 10 reps for another workout, and bridges done in the 12-15 rep range for another. It also has front squats for 5 reps and Bulgarian split squats for 5 reps. So those are meant to be done heavy.

If you don't own a roman chair for back extensions, you could always try straight leg band pull throughs or kb swings.

You could sign up for one month and if you don't like it don't renew.

Hope some of this helped.
Hi,

What model of a roman chair do you have that lets you do all three? I thought it would just let you do back extensions. Thanks for your time :)

If you have a bench, try to do a reverse hyper extension (RHE)on it. Vid below will help, i hope, to set the bench.
This exercise would be what you need cause I understood you want to hit your glute without working your hamstrings.
The base of the gluteus maximus (and medius) is connected to your hamstrings, be aware of that.

For one, not genetically blessed with a mass around that region, there is a need to build and create an illusion
Just as someone is trying to create a small waist by building shoulders and upper back.

*The way to do that is to work the base of the glute to gain roundness---That is when full squat aka A-G squat.
Make the most of this if you have a good flexibility. I would even state max out if you are extremely flexible. You know what
your hip girdle feels like.
* You also need to work on the upper part of the glute, that is IMO the hardest---This is what the RHE is for:):).
Now those who are blessed with a slight- arch- natural lower back can really build to create more illusion.:eek::eek:
The best way to make you understand the point I am trying the make is to visualise Jen Selter lower back.
Now visualise Serena williams---She is an athlete but anatomically she has been blessed:D:D. She has built what is known as a gluteal shelf;)
On a serious note, both ladies are blessed with an advantageous skeleton. Bones also come
into play!

That being said, by no mean, building a glute is an impossible mission---It require work!
You do not HAVE to do Bret's program as listed, add in anything you need to help you build what you are aiming for. You can do it. Add in donkey kick, and few mat specific proven to work exercises to help you achieve what you want.

Thanks for asking this question Cupcake, honestly you have given me more stuff to think about
and do for myself. Phew

HTH

Last edited:

Thanks Julie for listing important informations about the program.:)

If you have a bench, try to do a reverse hyper extension (RHE)on it. Vid below will help, i hope, to set the bench.
This exercise would be what you need cause I understood you want to hit your glute without working your hamstrings.
The base of the gluteus maximus (and medius) is connected to your hamstrings, be aware of that.

For one, not genetically blessed with a mass around that region, there is a need to build and create an illusion
Just as someone is trying to create a small waist by building shoulders and upper back.

*The way to do that is to work the base of the glute to gain roundness---That is when full squat aka A-G squat.
Make the most of this if you have a good flexibility. I would even state max out if you are extremely flexible. You know what
your hip girdle feels like.
* You also need to work on the upper part of the glute, that is IMO the hardest---This is what the RHE is for:):).
Now those who are blessed with a slight- arch- natural lower back can really build to create more illusion.:eek::eek:
The best way to make you understand the point I am trying the make is to visualise Jen Selter lower back.
Now visualise Serena williams---She is an athlete but anatomically she has been blessed:D:D. She has built what is known as a gluteal shelf;)
On a serious note, both ladies are blessed with an advantageous skeleton. Bones also come
into play!

That being said, by no mean, building a glute is an impossible mission---It require work!
You do not HAVE to do Bret's program as listed, add in anything you need to help you build what you are aiming for. You can do it. Add in donkey kick, and few mat specific proven to work exercises to help you achieve what you want.

Thanks for asking this question Cupcake, honestly you have given me more stuff to think about
and do for myself. Phew

HTH

Are we able to adjust a step bench to do this workout?

A Fit Granny [emoji123]

Are we able to adjust a step bench to do this workout?

A Fit Granny [emoji123]

Yes Terina, You should be able to adjust the inclination of a weight bench.

I have not tried this exercise with a step bench though. You will need to try it.
Your body will need to be fully tight while executing the movement and you will need to hold on a part of
the step bench without moving it. I do not know if it works. Try it and let us know. It might work if
you have slanted risers. This move does work with a solid sturdy chair:):)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond and for the exercise suggestions [emoji175] and program details. It's highly appreciated!
Oh and my The Roll Model book arrived the other day which makes me even more excited to get that Jill Miller set! I ordered another set because my sister saw it and wanted one. I'm hoping it helps with the shoulder. I had a hip thing too before but a year of swimming and Cathe's LB Triset fixed it. I do feel it tightens easily though so hopefully this book and DVD will help.
I believe all those single leg ( Bulgarian split squats? ) lunges did the trick.

Last edited:
Cupcake, biofeedback is excellent for psoas restriction and hip cracking. I believe you could learn it on your own, although I saw a practitioner for it. It's great that you have Jill Miller cause I incorporate biofeedback with the fascial release (with ball) and it is surely helping a lot with my hip. This past spring I did a ball rolling self fascial release course (I did the old school Yamuna one although what Jill Miller does is very similar ..just newer) & someone in my class also did biofeedback so I got lucky there!
I hope it all works out for you & have fun with your get glutes program!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.