fun workouts for when it is hard to work out

I have all most all cathe's workouts except for new series, but lately I am having trouble sticking to a rotation, I start and stop. STS requires too much thought to really do properly and I do not have the time for that much thought, bit it is time to supercharge my workout plan. If anyone has any ideas or if you have felt this way too I would really like to know what worked for you. I am hitting perimenapause and should workout even more. I am already gaining wieght. please respond.

Exercise was always a lifelong passion

I'm in the same boat. I'm 46 and starting to tire out some days. I generally just do what I feel like doing. I always use heavy weights for my upper body and give my muscles time to recover. In between I do cardio (kickbox, elliptical, step, Insanity), light weights with cardio for the legs ( Lower Body, Butts and Guts, Legs and Glutes) or heavy lower body (Slow and Heavy, PS, or GSL). I do try to work out everyday. If I need a non impact day, I do my elliptical. Since getting STS I've done it 3 times-usually once a summer and once a winter.
I take rest days when I'm just too tired-Generally once, sometimes twice a week when I have to put in long shifts.

Maybe your brain needs a break from setting up a rotation and sticking to it, there is nothing wrong with setting a goal of let's say 5 workouts/week, alternating weights and cardio, and just do what you feel like doing on that day. For me, it's important to keep adding new DVD's to my collection to have more variety and new things to look forward to.

I just finished STS, but that is about the only true rotation I have ever followed from start to end.

BTW, I just received Kelly Coffe-Meyers TLC workout, and it may not be exceptionally hard, but it's lots of fun, and already proved it helped me get off my butt the other day when I didn't feel like doing a workout.

Body Blast Series Timesaver, simpifies a week at at time, half cardio half weights which is turning out to be my favorite way to workout, 5-6 days a week.

Then there's CTX, you can use in the same way. I opted to do a warm up first, weights second, cardio last for both of these compilations, I also am particularly happy with this arrangement for CTX:

CTX Chest - Power Circuit
CTX Triceps - Kickbox
CTX Back - 10-10-10
CTX Shoulders - Step & Intervals
CTX Leaner Legs
CTX Biceps - All Step
Off
* Warm up precedes strength daily

Neither one had any dread factor (exception there for LL, course that's the OMG factor, you knew there had to be one) :)

I don't follow the monster size rotations. I have a list of times and workout types (cardio, circuits, abs etc.) then I make a short rotation for each month with a weekly breakdown. I get to pick any workout that satisfies the type of workout. So, if I don't want to do a newer workout, I might pick RS just for fun or because I haven't done it in a long time. Those long rotations are great for results but my brain likes variety and I tend to rebel.

I figure so long as I get a workout at least 3x/week its ok. I know I need at least one whole body strength workout (circuits, just strength or intense yoga practice.) I'm focusing on my running but it doesn't matter what your focus is, so long as you are having a good time. Lately, I've been focusing on 8 week programs (self made) rather than anything longer because at the end of 8 weeks I might want to do something else.

The real question is, what do you want to get out of your workouts?

Btw, if you notice your metabolism slowing down, Spectrum coconut oil has really helped me in that department.

I was also going to suggest CTX Series...they are just so fun plus there is a wide variety of diff formats, such as kickbox, step, intervals, circuits, a whole DVD just for legs, several diff AB workouts and then, all the diff workouts for the other 5 body parts only last 10-15 min. You do one body part a day or you could double up if you have extra time. It is a great series with absolutely no dread factor. (Not that I ever dread a Cathe workout but CTX is just plain fun!) Hope you're feeling more motivated. I've had my up & down times too but I sure do feel better after making myself do something. Let us know what you decide.

I was in a rut last year and decided to do all circuit workouts. It was a lot of fun and it's amazing how many premixes are circuits. I just would pick whichever one sounded from - I think I had 10 or so on my list - and it was something I was able to stick to. I was also motivated because someone here had posted that it worked great for them for weightless and I had a few extra pounds I wanted to drop. Worked for me, too!

I totally agree with the poster who said "there's nothing wrong with just planning to alternate cardio/weights on successive days and grab whichever DVD fits the bill on any given day."

This is what works for me. I have never followed a rotation in my life and it has been years since I managed 6 days a week workouts. If I manage 3 or 4 during my daughter's busiest times of the year (hello soccer season!), then I consider myself to be doing very well.

I suffer from depression most of the time and have bouts of it at different times each year that either derail me in part or totally. So mine is more of a stop-start-pause-start again fitness regime! I also have what must be the lowest boredom threshold of anyone I know and so rotations and 6 days a week exercising is never going to work for me.

I say, "so what?" I have to do what works for me and if that involves a large dose of acceptance and forgiveness for my own shortcomings, well then, I think those are pretty essential.

In the fall I had 3 crappy things happen that dumped me into very bad depression. I tried to come out of it with exercise only to find that every time I worked out, it triggered a migraine. Then the medication the doctors prescribed for the migraines started giving me fainting spells, the inability to concentrate and a whole slew of other symtoms that mirror panic attacks. Quite delightful! So I didn't work out for 6 months throughout the winter. As a result, my body composition has changed: I have not gained any weight, but I have less muscle tissue and more fat tissue. Nice!

So, I am in the same boat as you. I don't much like this place or the skin I am in right now. I am trying to work out whenever I can and I am not setting up any expectations for myself that might become terribly unrealistic. When I get like this, the first thing I always do, and this always works for me, is I set out through town to just walk. Not powerwalk, not walk with sprinting intervals, just walking. I listen to great music or a great book on CD and just let myself move and enjoy the physicality of it all.

Lack of motivation happens to absolutely everybody at different times. Others find they have entered moments in their life when exercising is really a chore or the last thing they want to or can think about. It's life, it happens. You will come out of this too. For now, think about just moving because you know that you will feel 100% better while doing it and afterwards, better than before. Don't set up any goals that you might not reach. Instead pick a DVD for FUN and because the music is great. Do a workout for the physical and emotional release it gives you, not for better biceps. Right now it is your brain that needs the change. We can take care of the biceps later! Cardio only for 2 weeks? Sure. Just circuits for 3? If it works for you. Nothing but yoga for the next month? Go ahead.

Do it only because you want to and because you feel you could sing or jump for joy while you are doing it.

Clare

I totally agree with the poster who said "there's nothing wrong with just planning to alternate cardio/weights on successive days and grab whichever DVD fits the bill on any given day."

This is what works for me. I have never followed a rotation in my life and it has been years since I managed 6 days a week workouts. If I manage 3 or 4 during my daughter's busiest times of the year (hello soccer season!), then I consider myself to be doing very well.

I suffer from depression most of the time and have bouts of it at different times each year that either derail me in part or totally. So mine is more of a stop-start-pause-start again fitness regime! I also have what must be the lowest boredom threshold of anyone I know and so rotations and 6 days a week exercising is never going to work for me.

I say, "so what?" I have to do what works for me and if that involves a large dose of acceptance and forgiveness for my own shortcomings, well then, I think those are pretty essential.

In the fall I had 3 crappy things happen that dumped me into very bad depression. I tried to come out of it with exercise only to find that every time I worked out, it triggered a migraine. Then the medication the doctors prescribed for the migraines started giving me fainting spells, the inability to concentrate and a whole slew of other symtoms that mirror panic attacks. Quite delightful! So I didn't work out for 6 months throughout the winter. As a result, my body composition has changed: I have not gained any weight, but I have less muscle tissue and more fat tissue. Nice!

So, I am in the same boat as you. I don't much like this place or the skin I am in right now. I am trying to work out whenever I can and I am not setting up any expectations for myself that might become terribly unrealistic. When I get like this, the first thing I always do, and this always works for me, is I set out through town to just walk. Not powerwalk, not walk with sprinting intervals, just walking. I listen to great music or a great book on CD and just let myself move and enjoy the physicality of it all.

Lack of motivation happens to absolutely everybody at different times. Others find they have entered moments in their life when exercising is really a chore or the last thing they want to or can think about. It's life, it happens. You will come out of this too. For now, think about just moving because you know that you will feel 100% better while doing it and afterwards, better than before. Don't set up any goals that you might not reach. Instead pick a DVD for FUN and because the music is great. Do a workout for the physical and emotional release it gives you, not for better biceps. Right now it is your brain that needs the change. We can take care of the biceps later! Cardio only for 2 weeks? Sure. Just circuits for 3? If it works for you. Nothing but yoga for the next month? Go ahead.

Do it only because you want to and because you feel you could sing or jump for joy while you are doing it.

Clare

This is a most amazing post, for many reasons! I especially love the last sentence.

I am not one for structured rotations (unless its STS in its classic form). When I first started reading this forum I wondered what the point of *rotations* were if it didn't involve a sports-specific goal. Now I get it, there are all sorts of reasons and everyone has a different motivation for what they do, which is why I think your post is most excellent.

Clare - excellent post.

cberube8597 - I have always done my own rotations, which were usually ruts. I did my gym and home workouts and wrote down what I planned to do every month (I haven't looked at Cathe's rotations). It worked fine for me a lot of times but when I would feel like I was in a rut, I would skip a day...which turned into a week...month...etc. Then it would be hard for me to get back into my rotation/rut. I also noticed I felt like I was just "going through the motions." Also, I never really looked forward to doing my workouts. Once I started, I was fine and was always glad I finished them. But then I would eventually get into my rut and would start skipping days.

Then I bought Cathe's entire collection and was overwhelmed by all the options (especially with all of the premixes). I decided to do a different DVD everyday just to learn everything and sample everything (and make sure the DVDs worked before the return expiration!). This variety really worked for me. I have never rotated totally different workouts everyday - I always liked set routines (so I thought). But the variety kept it fresh, kept me focused and I will more than likely always do my workouts this way.

The night before, I choose what I am going to do the next morning, load the DVD to the correct premix, & set out my equipment. And I choose something different everyday (step vs. bootcamp vs. HiiT vs. floorwork). And sometimes in the morning I don't want to do what I picked the night before, so I just swap it for something else.

This has kept me wanting to workout and I even look forward to it since the night before, I chose what I wanted to do. I notice before I sometimes did workouts half-assed since I was in my rut and "had" to do that specific workout. Now I really do enjoy every workout since it is different everyday and I picked it out.

Good Luck.

Wow Clare - your post really moved me as well for so many reasons! That was definitely a loud and clear "message for the day" to me and proof positive that God speaks through people. A BIG thank you.

And btw, ITA with Clare, original poster! Do what you can, what you feel, even if that means for 10 minutes. This is a life long health commitment we're talking about right? Some days you have it, some not. Also, maybe try something different (the Clare gad about town walk perhaps, or ice skating - no joke, I had a winter full of fun skating, maybe tennis?). Toss the have to's and enjoy your life. You are off the couch, which is more than most can say on a given day.

All the best,
Julie

Thanks to all

I really appreciate all of the wonderful words of help and encouragement, just knowing that so may of you care is motivation in itself. It meant so much that you were able to open up so much, so today I will try ctx cardio 10-10-10 because that has a good variety and then go from there, maybe everyone is right and I will start doing just what feel good at the time and do the length workout I can and have fun without judging myself if I need a day off some times. I was thinking of getting cathe new series to add something new to the mix as others have suggested sometimes make it more fun and exciting. I will let you know how this works for me. again thanks for all the great advice.

carol b

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.