For all women who are 40+, what is your skin care regime?

I am 39 so I figure it's close enough to 40. LOL

Whatever cleanser looks good at the grocery store that week and a moisturizer with spf in it....I wash my face when I take a shower (every morning) and put moisturizer on it. Not much of a make up wearer so never got in the habit of washing it at night or anything...unless I shower for some reason...And if I start to break out I buy some acne medication to stop it. Not much of a regimen, huh? :p

Last edited:
I use the Obagi Nu-Derm line, which incorporates Retinol. I am very happy with it. I substitute Aveeno's Moisturizing Bar as a cleanser (because it's way cheaper than the Obagi cleanser -- about $3 a bar -- and works just as well) and I sub a Skinceuticals toner, because I like it better that the toner that comes in the Nu-derm line.

Last edited:
I am 50 and also use the Philosophy Miracle Worker line. I use philosophy's Purity cleanser in conjunction with the clarasonic and then apply the Miracle products at night. In the morning I use Purity cleanser and When Hope Is Not Enough Serum before applying the Hope moisturizer and eye cream.

Brenda in Indiana

I also use the clarisonic with the Philosophy Purity cleanser. I don't wear makeup either, but have read that washing my face at night is even more important than washing my face in the morning (Prevention magazine article was my latest source for this, but I don't have an online link - only the hardcopy of the magazine). I have found that when I wash my face at night my face looks much better. I've also recently started using the Roc multi-something night cream - wow, really great product. It does seem to help with the brown spots that start to show up (I live in Hawaii - and have lived here for the last 19 years and before that I was in Florida for 3 years so I see the Sun year round). I do wear SP15 every day as well - thought I would LOVE to find a product with SP30 that was non-oily and didn't make me sweat. So many SP products seem to make me feel like my skin can't breath.

this may sound weird, but my dermatologist put me on Dove soap with cleansing cream and that is what I still use to cleanse. Also I have just started using Philosophy products as well, but for moisturizer and have been very happy with it. I also use Philosophy "Keep the Peace" for reducing redness and I use their "Hope" tinted moisturizer as well...like them too.

I also use Retin-A cream!

Dove Soap

this may sound weird, but my dermatologist put me on Dove soap with cleansing cream and that is what I still use to cleanse...

I've never tried the Dove soap with cleansing cream, but my dermatologist told me to use Dove soap too (for sensitive skin). Dove soap works well. It cleanses my skin without leaving it dry.

I use Paula's Choice products. They work as well as the expensive lines. I found these products by searching a site called Beautypedia that rates beauty products.

I use all Origins skincare, exclusively. The Checks and Balances face wash with my Clarisonic is brilliant. Youthtopia serum as well as the Brighter By Nature treatment. Moisturizers I change up depending on the season, going heavier in the winter. Love their products and my skin looks great!

I've never tried the Dove soap with cleansing cream, but my dermatologist told me to use Dove soap too (for sensitive skin). Dove soap works well. It cleanses my skin without leaving it dry.

I have used Dove soap for sensitive skin for more years than I can count. IMHO, nothing beats it. As you said, it cleanses my skin without leaving it dry and I have very dry skin so that's important.

I follow that with lots of moisturizer (Nivea - which I've also used for years and years) and wear makeup as infrequently as possible because it clogs my pores.....

Pond's cold cream...:D

I've tried alot of expensive products that contain glycolic acid and other exfoliants. Cleansers, lotions, eye creams, just about everything I could get my hands on. Then I switched to plain old cold cream at the beginning of 2011.

I turned 40 in May and my skin has never looked better.

I use a clarisonic device and Obagi, alternating the Obagi products occasionally with a lightweight moisturizer (generally samples I get from Sephora - whatever I have on hand). I'm tempted to try the Ponds though after what I've heard here. Obagi is very expensive, but it has done miracles to eliminate the hyperpigmentation I had on my face.

I've used a few pricier lines but they've all given my face hives/itchy blotchiness immediately after application, I cant remember what was in that caused it but it was one of the glycolic type of ingredients. So for now I use cold cream or Dove in the shower followed by Oil of Olay All Day UV moisturizer afterwards on my face and neck. I also try to drink alot of water and stay out of the sun.

I also use the clarisonic with the Philosophy Purity cleanser. I don't wear makeup either, but have read that washing my face at night is even more important than washing my face in the morning (Prevention magazine article was my latest source for this, but I don't have an online link - only the hardcopy of the magazine). I have found that when I wash my face at night my face looks much better. I've also recently started using the Roc multi-something night cream - wow, really great product. It does seem to help with the brown spots that start to show up (I live in Hawaii - and have lived here for the last 19 years and before that I was in Florida for 3 years so I see the Sun year round). I do wear SP15 every day as well - thought I would LOVE to find a product with SP30 that was non-oily and didn't make me sweat. So many SP products seem to make me feel like my skin can't breath.

I would love to visit!:D

(1) Sunscreen/sunblock on your face and neck every day, whatever the weather, will go a long way to help prevent some of the aging process. I have done this since I was about 30. I am now 61 and, while I do have wrinkles, I have never had an age spot on my face. (I do have them on my hands and arms, as I have always spent a lot of time outdoors and have not always protected my skin from the neck down.)

(2) Use a Clarisonic, and always cleanse your face/neck before you go to bed--no exceptions. The Clarisonic is a bit pricey, but it does a great job of removing impurities and cleaning out your pores, and it will allow whatever products you use to work better.

(3) Check out the post on this forum about green drinks/juicing. Your skin really does reflect your health, and green drinks will make a difference. If you cut out processed foods, sugar, and alcohol, and increase your intake of veggies and fruits, you will see the difference in your skin in a relatively short time. (And it's less expensive to try than most cosmetics.)

As far as cosmetics go, obviously what works wonders for some individuals does nothing for others because we all have different issues. I have spent/wasted so much money over the years on cosmetics and don't even want to think about all the partially used bottles, tubes, tubs of expensive stuff I have thrown out or given away. That's sort of how I justified the cost of the Clarisonic. More recently I have been using some SkinMedica products that are suitable for my age and my skin issues and they seem to be working very well. But honestly, I think prevention and nutrition--via, sunscreen, diet and proper cleansing--go a long way.

MacBeanur: You mentioned you couldn't find a sunscreen that worked for you. I have complained for years about the same thing (even though I used it anyway) and have tried many different kinds. Recently I came across a SkinCeuticals product called Physical Fusion SPF 50. It is the best stuff I have ever used. It is thin, it absorbs immediately and leaves no greasy/chalky residue on your skin. It is also slightly tinted. I actually use the stuff instead of foundation.

Last edited:
Almost 40....does that count? I use Paula's Choice as well. I used to use Oil of Olay but since finding Paula's Choice a few years ago I have never looked back and my skin is very happy!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.