Finally broke down and bought a VitaMix Blender

FabAbs

Cathlete
Yup, we finally broke down and bought a VitaMix Blender from Costco last weekend. I used to love my Waring Blender and we must have gone through 4 of them in the past 3 years, the last one started smoking afte 3 days so I returned it to Target.

Yeah, they are pricey, close to $400, but so worth the money and its a time saver as well. Now I can make a smoothie in about 30 seconds with frozen fruit compared to a couple of minutes with the Waring where the fruit would get caught under the blade and I would have to take a spatula to mix it up.

After watching the DVD it is more than a blender it can make hot soup, ice cream and just about anything else you would want. It also came with a hard covered cookbook. I can't believe it took my husband so long to convince to buy one. It is without a doubt one of the best kitchen appliances we have purchased and I'm in LOVE with it!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheryl

Congratulations!
I agree that it is more than a blender.
And it is pricey, but so worth it, IMO. (and you won't go through 4 in 3 years, LOL! Or, if for some reason you do---are you blending bricks?--the waranty covers it for longer than that!)
I use mine daily, sometimes more than once, and when I was really into raw foods last year, I used it several times a day.
You can make nice, creamy 'dairy-like' concoctions in it out of soaked cashews, for example. (I've got several recipes in my blog here that make use of the VM). There are lots of raw-food videos on Youtube and recipes online to explore.

Last edited:
This and my Keurig are my two most prized kitchen appliances. I use it for smoothies at least once a day usually twice, I put in loads of rock hard frozen fruit and it blends it all right up so fast. The up front cost IS a lot, but considering I was on my second broken (expensive $100 +) blenders when I bought this, it actually seems to save money over the long run. But the ability of the blender over any other regular blender is priceless.

Congrats on your VitaMix purchase! You won't regret it. I use mine every day for smoothies and protein shakes, and I just got done making tomato sauce in it.

In my old blender, if I made a shake or smoothie, I could never save any to drink later in the day because it just wasn't blended enough and would end up tasting gross. Now I can make a batch to use later in the day and it still tastes good.

Check out Kathryn's green smoothie recipes! She's the one who inspired me to get my Vita Mix and I'll be eternally grateful to her for that!:)

I"m so jealous! I want one so badly, but can't afford it right now. Which model did you get? I have the 5200 on my wish list.

We have the 5200 model. Williams Sonoma has 2 different models in their stores the Professional 200 is equal to ours and is $50 more, so I think we got a pretty good deal.

Cheryl

Congrats! I love mine, and use it almost daily, mostly for smoothies with all frozen fruit, protein powder, and a splash of nondairy milk. It does great blending things with very little liquid so even though I call them smoothies, they really have more of a soft-serve texture. I also use my Vita-Mix as a spice grinder, btw.

We got ours at Costco too, about 1-1/2 years ago, and it's my most-used appliance.

I want one, I want one. I know they are completely worth it in the long run but that up front cost does hurt a bit. I'll have to stick with my Ninja for now.

I"m so jealous! I want one so badly, but can't afford it right now. Which model did you get? I have the 5200 on my wish list.
Definitely do NOT get the 4800 (or whatever that one is). It only has 'high' and 'low' speed, so if you stop blending mid-prep to test for flavor or check consistency or add sweetener, etc., then blend again, all the stuff in the blender shoots to the top of the container, and sometimes out..

Last edited:
Thanks Kathryn! I'll double check and see if the 5200 has variable speeds! :)

ETA: Just checked - the 5200 has variable speeds!

Definitely do NOT get the 4800 (or whatever that one is). It only has 'high' and 'off' as speed, so if you stop blending mid-prep to test for flavor or check consistency or add sweetener, etc., then blend again, all the stuff in the blender shoots to the top of the container, and sometimes out..

I have one and I never use it--it was a gift. I just don't know what to make in it. I've never had a smoothie in my life. I have crushed ice with it! My son made an ice cream shake with it. We tried the protein powder drink and it came out too full of air.

I need to Google smoothies, I guess.

I have one and I never use it--it was a gift. I just don't know what to make in it. I've never had a smoothie in my life. I have crushed ice with it! My son made an ice cream shake with it. We tried the protein powder drink and it came out too full of air.

Check out my blog: I have a lot of smoothie recipes, a recipe for kale chips (making a cashew-nut "cheese" sauce in the Vitamix), and a couple of blended soups.

I use the protein powder in my smoothies, with water or almond milk or milk, 1 scoop of powder, and whatever frozen fruit I want, and blend, I get great thick milkshake textured shakes. Try adding frozen fruit, it makes a world of difference. I find that if I do a protein shake with only ice, I need to use milk as my liquid base to get the consistency I like.

I am also a new Vitamix owner. I actually bought one for my parents 3 years ago and I can't believe I waited this long to get myself one! It is THE BEST!!! The Vitamix site also has some great recipes...in addition to the ones in the book.

I just purchased a Vita Mix also. Actually I bought 3 of them!! One is for me, and the others are Christmas presents for my 2 daughters.

Kathryn, where is your blog? I am interested in different recipes.

I just opened up the box today, but haven't made anything yet. I'll probably make lots of smoothies. Not sure what else. How is the Tomato sauce?

Linda

Kathryn, where is your blog? I am interested in different recipes.
It's my blog on this site, under "vegan eating" and "raw foods": http://cathe.com/forum/blog.php?u=96654

My go-to smoothie lately: 1-2 peeled oranges (depending on size), 1 frozen banana, 1 handful kale, 1 container coconut water (or just regular water).

When I ran out of oranges, I subbed a ripe mango with a big squeeze of lemon for them, and it was delish as well!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.