Fatique

lulu68

Cathlete
Hello,

I have been doing Ripped with Hit rotations for the past 6+ months, just recently all of a sudden my energy levels and all the strength I had develop doing this rotations have gone down the drain. I'm not quite sure if my workouts have anything to do with my lack of energy during my workout or if is other things that might be contributing to my fatigue. 1 being that I live in Arizona and its hot and humid, I have not had a period in almost 3 months, I just turned 47, my calories are not sufficient (but still feel like my waist is thicker) and I probably not drinking enough water. I guess what I like to know, will doing Hit workouts for 6+ months 6 days per week burn you out specially if you combine it with this HOT HUMID WEATHER? Any input would greatly be appreciated. I forgot to add that I have all 6 of my children in summer break, plus I have 2 additional children that I care for.

Lourdes

I think your dealing with dehydration which the weather and age is a factor (skin is thinning and hormones are hell) . I'm 45 and live Alabama we are having 90 + heat and high humity.
I"m having to really drown myself in water this year LOL.

I would suggest you take a recovery week and drink lots of water or try some electrolyte sports drinks. I grew up with these tempeatures and the old cheap way of getting rehydrated was eat pickle (for the salt) and then drink water. I still will do this after a workout.

I just came off 6 months of heavy lifting/hiit workouts. I just felt like I needed a change. I also wanted to do more endurance based workouts for the summer. I've been doing high rep, metabolic and bootcamp stuff.

My body must of went into a shock change cause I started shredding off some vanity fat and started seeing more definition. I didn't have a goal just wanting a change up but I'm sure liking the change kwim.

after your take a recovery week and really get hydrated and still having fatigue issues I would go for a check-up cause your around the age hormones really do start changing stuff for us.

There are many women that have to lay off the advance workouts when they get in menopause years because they cause cortisol levels (stress hormones) to kick in and the then high octane workouts actually cause them to keep on fat/weight.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me but if its the case I will turn to power walks and yoga during menopause but I'm hoping my body will always have positive reaction to heavy weights, hiit, bootcamps etc

I know for me, living in SW FL, my energy level goes down somewhat in the summer time. But I also have to do more yard work because of "rainy" season, so now I'm outside in the heat a little more often. I try not to spend more than 30 to 40 mins at a time, so I try to split my yard work to about 3-4 days/week. I make sure I drink plenty of water but sometimes the heat/humidity is just to much and I'm tire the rest of the day. If it continues, I would go to the doc and get a check up, esp. labs with hormone levels. Best of luck and hope you will be feeling better soon.

Humid in Arizona? Wow, I thought it was as dry as Utah! After a two month rotation of RWH, I had to take a break. Most of the workouts are intense, short but intense. I will sprinkle RWH in with my current rotation. But, six months straight, is quite a bit. I would suggest you switch things up a little, it could be burnout. That being said, your symptoms sound a lot like menopause, or peri menopause. Eight kids? How is your stress level? Start taking care of yourself, food, water, and a break from the kids. Everything is much more difficult, when it's unbearably hot. If it continues, make an appt. with your physician. Just to make sure it's nothing serious.

Last edited:
Leaving the possibility for menopause out of the response...
I do a similar rotation, and personally, I need to switch out of it after about 4 weeks. I just feel too beat up and overworked., and yes, fatigued during my workouts. So I take 2 weeks "off" where I do circuit style, total body, and steady state workouts, just for a change of pace.

Usually when I hop back into the heavy lift/HiiT work, I feel much better and my body responds well.

Hi Lourdes,
There was a time when i worked out daily with no recovery time and did mostly metabolic/ endurance/ Hiit type workouts. I started to notice that suddenly I could no longer pump out tons of push-ups on my toes and couldn't seem to lift the same weights without struggling. I was burned out and over training - and only had one child to take care of not 8 LOL! Like the others I'd strongly recommend some recovery time and a change in your workout choices. I did RWH for one month straight and was tired but now use it sporadically with other heavy weights and steady state workouts to switch things up.
Take care and allow yourself some down time without guilt,
Jamie

You have a lot on your plate now and I am going to suggest that you take a break and listen to your body. Go to bed a bit earlier perhaps, when you eat, just sit with no noise and really enjoy your food (if possible obviously), take 10 minutes in the morning before you get up to just think about what you can do (or not do) today that will make YOU feel whole. That type of thing. Ask your kids to pitch in more because you have been feeling more tired than usual.
Also, fatigue is such a common symptom for so many different ailments that I think if it lasts another 10 days or so, that some blood work and a check-up are in order.
Do you find that the humidity disrupts sound sleep? I find it really does with me and that will mess with your metabolism as well. Ever use magnesium oil? Try putting some on the bottoms of your feet and your shoulders before bed to help with sleep.

Take care. I know you asked specifically about the workouts, lol, but I feel strongly that sometimes a break can be the best solution.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my question so quickly. You all have really opened my eyes. I have read all your suggestions and recommendations over and over again and it makes so much sense. I will try everything that was recommended and will see how it goes from there. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart! Having been a stay at home mom for over 20 years, I don't have any close friends, it feel good knowing that I could come to this forum and genially call all of you my friends!

Lourdes

Humid in Arizona? Wow, I thought it was as dry as Utah! After a two month rotation of RWH, I had to take a break. Most of the workouts are intense, short but intense. I will sprinkle RWH in with my current rotation. But, six months straight, is quite a bit. I would suggest you switch things up a little, it could be burnout. That being said, your symptoms sound a lot like menopause, or peri menopause. Eight kids? How is your stress level? Start taking care of yourself, food, water, and a break from the kids. Everything is much more difficult, when it's unbearably hot. If it continues, make an appt. with your physician. Just to make sure it's nothing serious.

Hi Karen,
To answer your question...Generally no. Its never humid like it could be on the east coast. What happens in the southern part of Arizona (Phoenix area, and south) we get this outrageous thunder storms during the summer months called monsoons. It rains a lot for a short period of time, after it will be humid and hot (up to the 110-115) until all the water evaporate.

There are some great suggestions here. I live in South Georgia and do all my workouts outside and fatigue has been a big issue for me. I'm up at 5am though and work a full day and I start my workout at 6pm. The heat does come into play even when drinking lots of water.

I wanted to make a comment on drinking sports drinks like Gatorade. Please stay away of that stuff. It has lots of artificial stuff and is not good for you. Here are some great options for making your own sport drinks.

http://www.drfranklipman.com/recharge-your-workout-with-ribose/

There are some great suggestions here. I live in South Georgia and do all my workouts outside and fatigue has been a big issue for me. I'm up at 5am though and work a full day and I start my workout at 6pm. The heat does come into play even when drinking lots of water.

I wanted to make a comment on drinking sports drinks like Gatorade. Please stay away of that stuff. It has lots of artificial stuff and is not good for you. Here are some great options for making your own sport drinks.

Thanks for the link.

Hi Jane,
For the past 15-17 years I've been waking up at 2:45-3am and start my workouts no later than 3:45. We have a swamp cooler in there, so for the most part its pretty cool. But during the monsoon season its dreadful in there! I've never been a fan of Gatorade drinks, I don't have much of sweet tooth, so stuff like that just annoy me. Just smelling donuts hurts my stomach! :) Have a great day!

I agree regarding the sports drinks but on occasion I use the low sugar version taste like crap but does rehydrate. I suggest sport drinks because its better to drink a bit of color water with some electrolytes thrown it instead of ending up in the ER with dehydration. I see this every workday from June - August and our MD suggest the sports drinks with our climate. He happens to do triathlons and in general a health nut like myself but realizes that most folks aren't' into making anything for themselves LOL. The Gatorades, power aids etc help keep our ER waiting room down.

Last edited:
I agree regarding the sports drinks but on occasion I use the low sugar version taste like crap but does rehydrate. I suggest sport drinks because its better to drink a bit of color water with some electrolytes thrown it instead of ending up in the ER with dehydration. I see this every workday from June - August and our MD suggest the sports drinks with our climate. He happens to do triathlons and in general a health nut like myself but realizes that most folks aren't' into making anything for themselves LOL. The Gatorades, power aids etc help keep our ER waiting room down.
What types do you recommend? I'm not one who likes super sweet either but sometimes you need something.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Cafelattee, can you tell me more about older women, heavy weight workouts and keeping weight on? I am working out 6 days a week, post-menopausal due to chemo, on breast cancer drugs which severely inhibit my estrogen production and really keeping on the weight. I am now doing STS and 4 days of cardio (only into week 2). Just finished X-Train, which I loved! But I just can't lose the last 10 pounds no matter what. I'm hoping adding an extra day if cardio will help. So, can you tell me more about weight retention?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have never been super flexible, but lately my lower body has been feeling super tight, specially my hip area. My flexibility is pretty much not existing and making my workouts that much harder. Is there a workout DVD you would recommend to add into my workouts that would work on my tightness and flexibility issue? Thanks!
Lourdes

Lulu (oops I mean Lourdes LOL!), I have the same issues and recently I purchased a few of the Essentric DVD's. I'd never heard of them before but there's a few discussions on this and Classical Stretch on the videofitnessforum. Since I'm so easily influenced by total strangers I jumped on the bandwagon and bought them when there was a sale LOL! But I'm so happy I did. After doing one of the lower body stretch segments from Sarah's Stretch and Strength DVD my hips and lower back are so much better already with reduced pain. I don't how to post links but they have a website with some free segments to try. Check it out.
Jamie

I love essentrics too!
-Jill Miller's (Yoga tune up) Post Athletic Stretch is good, -Viniyoga Therapy for the low back, sacrum & hips by Gary Kraftsow is excellent, and -Hab-it Pelvic Floor (for specific pelvic-hip concerns) is another good one. They are all different though. Rebecca Wood was a great Restorative Yoga dvd set which I really like (using bolsters etc) to gently open and restore the hips. It's an older one.
Soft ball rolling in the psoas, groin and piriformis before working out is what I usually need to do and it makes a big difference (I recently completed a course in self myofascial massage and release). Elaine Petrone has a nice program for ball rolling, although there are many available.

Oh, & do check out James Knight's youtube vids! I think your hips will like that as well. : ) It's a little different I know.

Last edited:
I have never been super flexible, but lately my lower body has been feeling super tight, specially my hip area. My flexibility is pretty much not existing and making my workouts that much harder. Is there a workout DVD you would recommend to add into my workouts that would work on my tightness and flexibility issue? Thanks!
Lourdes

You need to check out Rudy Mettia and the other instructors on the udaya website. Rudy also has some workouts in his Yoga Warrior 365 program that focus on lower body. They are my "go to" when I am feeling really tight from sitting.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.