Eating healthy AND environmentally smart?

buffettgirl

Cathlete
While I was on vacation, I read a great book about sea turtles. It pull me in a dilemma, though, when I learned how harmful some forms of fishing are to turtles. The same thing happened when I read a book about dwindling song bird populations and found out that blueberry farming is one of the most harmful to them. It all seems so complicated. Does anyone have any good websites or information about how to make smart choices regarding healthy AND environmentally wise food choices?

I don't know of any specific websites, but I do things this way. Since humans have roamed this earth, we have had to eat. It never caused a problem, though, until these huge conglomerates took over for the main purpose of making money with no regard to the environment. So, as much as possible, I research companies before I buy from them. Most people eat eggs, but most chickens are kept in horrible conditions. I buy from companies, and almost always, the smaller the better - farmer's market if possible - who treat the animals/environment with kindness and respect. What I'm saying is, don't give up on fish and blueberries - just find places to purchase them from that are humane. I also grow my own produce as much as possible. And don't forget, the products we use have an impact too - I buy from companies that don't test on animals, and as much as possible, with natural ingredients.

Robin, this is one of the dilemmas DH and I face often with our sustainable living goals. You have to do the best you can, and not get too stressed over each and every food source. In other words, pick your battles! I've come to realize that there are very few environmentally perfect food choices. There's almost always a trade-off! Anyway, I do try to eat local, grow my own veggies (and some fruit, eventually) can and freeze the leftover summer bounty, that sort of thing. We are also going to get chickens. See if you can find local sources of meat, eggs and dairy.

Here are some websites that might help. Of course, grain of salt here, I can't vouch for any agendas in the message. HTH!

www.treehugger.com
http://www.sustainabletable.org/intro/whatis/
http://www.eatlocalchallenge.com/
http://www.ucsusa.org/publications/catalyst/eatingfortheenvironment.html

Sparrow

ETA: regarding organic eating, the US gov has been steadily fiddling with organic standards so we may soon - if not already - not be able to tell if something is truly organic or not.

Even after all this time the earth never says to the sun, "you owe me." Look what happens with a love like that.

It lights the whole sky.

- Hafiz

Gosh Robin, this is a great question.

My first thought was that eating lower on the food chain (such as vegetarianism) is usually more environmentally friendly. But then I thought, that's not always true. Just think of all the pesticides and chemicals used on most crops. In the long run, those chemicals work their way into the environment and affect everything else.

I've thought about stuff like this before. Sure, we can go organic. But so much organic produce is still shipped across the country, or even from other countries, which causes its own type of harm. About the only thing I can think of is to raise all your own food. :eek:

You think I'm kidding. Nope. But most people don't have the space or the time to do that!

All I can say is that if we each do the best we can, we're doing better than we were before. Right?

Oops double post sorry!

Sparrow

Even after all this time the earth never says to the sun, "you owe me." Look what happens with a love like that.

It lights the whole sky.

- Hafiz

I don't have much to add to what's already been said, accept to say that I agree with everyone. I'm fortunate to live near a fantastic grocery store -- a small independent grocer -- that carries locally grown produce in season, meat, chicken, eggs, etc -- all from local organic farmers. It's expensive but worth it IMHO. I also shop the local farm stands in summer and fall.

As for blueberries -- look in your frozen food section for Wyman's brand wild, uncultivated blueberries from Maine. Here's the website if you're interested http://www.wymans.com/about/sustainability.htm

Hi Robin,

I'd recommend checking out "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. He takes a pretty in-depth look at different models of food production (industrial/fast food type meal, industrial organic, small organic, and hunter gatherer), and their environmental, socio-economic and health impact.

It's very informative, and well written...as in not dry. :)

It is complicated. I try my best to buy locally produced food (organic and non-organic) as much as possible, and with the stuff that can't be locally produced (COFFEE!!!), I try to get products from producers who are trying to do it in the most ethical and environmentally sound means possible. It does increase my grocery bill, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

I agree with everything said. I just posted regarding the silly "ziplic omlettes," as well. I try to minimize my usage of that kind of stuff. Wash a pan - you'll live!

Yes, The Omnivore's Dilemma" is very enlightening and heartbreaking, I also loved it!

I also agree with everything meowracer said. I am part of a summer coop for fruits, veggies, breads and eggs where everything is grown no more than 40 miles from my home by farmers who allow you to inspect their grounds yourself. We also buy our meat this way (grass fed cattle, no soy or animal by products in their diet, completely synthetic free!) Nothing is torn down, and no animal is caged or hurt and I am supporting my neighbor, the forests and animals and not some suit. ;) I am sure that there is something like that around you, you just have to dig around for it. :)

We also buy fair trade sugar, coffee, etc. It is expensive, but the conscience is clean.

Missy

Sort of on this topic! I just told my kids earlier this week that we are NO LONGER buying ANY bottled water (we didn't really buy much to begin with), gatorade, juice, etc. From now on, we're using RE-USABLE water bottles and jugs. They asked about when they have friends over (which is ALL the time), and I told them the friends can either BRING one with them or they can borrow a bottle from us!

I also grow my own veggies in the summer. Each summer, my garden gets bigger and bigger! I STILL have whole tomatoes in the freezer from last summer, plus green beans, and other veggies!

Just my little part that I can help out with!

Gayle

I think we can all try to do our best to eat and live in a more environmentally friendly way.

Eating lower on the food chain is a good first step.

I agree with eating locally (usually fewer chemicals are used, even on non-organic produce, and the food doesn't have to be shipped long distances, or at least within 100 miles and eating organically as much as possible. Food coops and farmers markets are good places to find local foods. And I think everyone who can should have some kind of garden of their own (organic, of course). Even if it's just a sprout garden on your countertop, growing broccoli sprouts!

Avoiding GMO foods, that are an environmental disaster waiting to happen, IMO, is also important. Unless it is organic, or labelled as "non-gmo," most soy, canola and corn is GMO, as are many potatoes.

Hemp is a very environmentally friendly crop: grows fast, blocking out most competing weeds, and is naturally pest and disease resistant, and actually enriches the soil. And it can be used for so many things : a high-quality protein powder, an ingredient for baking, oils for cooking and body care, fabric for clothing.

Avoiding processed foods (especially things that have lots of packaging vs. content) helps reduce waste as well as being healthier.

Not food related (in general), but the growing of cotton, touted as a 'natural' product, isn't that good for the environment. Cotton crops take up about 5% of agricultural land worldwide, but use about 25% of all agricultural chemicals. Buy organic cotton instead to be "environmentally smarter".

Depending on where you live, you may be able to purchase a farm share in a local farm. The concept is like a cathe pre-sale. :) You pay a certain amount up-front, at the start of the season, when local farmers have little to sell but lots to buy, and throughout the growing season you pick up a basket of all locally-grown, organic produce, a "share" of the farm's output. Research local farms in your area to find on that produces foods you want. (Depending, again, on where you live....) you can find all vegetarian, all meat, or any kind of mix.

I have been really fortunate in my life on this subject. When we lived out in Kansas our neighbors had a farm they grew produce on only and hired on people to help. My DH was their doc and they brought us free veggies and fruits for the 4 summers we lived there. They did not like most of farmers in that region use any pesticides or the very dangerous nitrogen as fertilizer. They used compost they made themselves. I would come home fom work and find 5 lbs of roma tomatoes on my doorstep. Those were the days! We also got all of our meat (pork and beef) right there too, and the cattle were not corn fed. I have no idea about the pigs (scary creatures).
Now we live in central texas and have access to all sorts of farmers markets that only grow organic and raise organic meat. I really want my own garden, but the deer can eat it all in one evening! DH says he's going to start eating the deer LOL!

That is an issues I also struggle with. I do what I can but being a poor college student it is sometimes hard for me to make the right choices. I would love to buy all organic locally grown veggies at the health food store but I am on a stict budget with things. I try to do what I can like avoid stuff that has a lot of packaging. I cringe when I see those 1 serving size/100 Calorie packs they have everything in now. It just seems like a huge waste with all that plastic based packaging. I try to shop at the farmers markets as much as I can. Health food stores can be good places to shop without over spending if you know how to shop them. My local health food store has a bulk food section for grains, beans and things along that line. I think a lot of people get upset when they think about trying to make better choices because it seems like not matter what you do you are hurting something so they do not even try. However I think it is important to do what you can but at the same time realize that nobody is going to be perfect.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.