eating clean

I HAVE JUST STARTED READING TOSCA RENO'S EATING CLEAN BOOK. I HAVE NOT RUN ACROSS ANYTHING YET ON PROTEIN BARS AND SHAKES. I HAVE SOME ZONE BARS AND PRIA. SOME METRX AND MYOPLEX SHAKES. WHAT IS ANYONE'S ADVICE ON THESE FOODS IN A CLEAN DIET?

THANKS,

ROSELYN

i just finished reading her book. she does talk about supplements in her book. she talks about watching the calorie and carb count on them. she seems to talk more about protein shakes than bars though and shakes are cheaper.

>I don't know anything about your book, but protein bars are
>highly processed and I wouldn't consider any of them "clean",
>or would at least use them only occasionally.

I agree. Most are nothing but glorified candy bars. Some exceptions, like Vega, aren't necessarily really high in protein, but they are more balanced and are made from real food, minimally processed.

Probars are excellent from a "clean" perspective (it's Probar, not Promax - my original post was in error - sorry!!!) - nothing but whole, raw foods in them. HUGELY carb heavy, but they are great when you need that.

>Kathyrn, what do you think about Myoplex bars and others of
>that ilk?

I'm not familiar with them because they aren't vegan (and I am ;-)). But even if they were vegan (like Cliff's protein bars, whatever they are called), I wouldn't recommend them as a regular part of anyone's diet. I thing eating real foods (and not concentrated or isolated proteins) is a much healthier way to go.

You can get them from numerous sources on the internet. A caution, though - they are very high in calories! 380 for one bar - so definitely a meal replacement, not a snack.

Other than ProBars, I consider all meal replacement bars processed food and would only use them in a dire emergency. I'd rather take ziplock bags of spinach/grape tomatoes/sliced mushroom/zucchinni spears that you can eat with your fingers, or those Costco grapefruit cups -- or one of those ziploc omelets Tosca describes in her book - 4 egg whites and 1/2 cup vegetable - only 110 calories of quality protein, and you can slip it out of the ziploc to eat whenever you want.

I also liked her oatmeal cookies recipe, except that I make them in 1" balls and substituted agave nectar for the brown sugar (you need to add an extra 2 cups of oats if you do this because it makes the dough runnier). Those are delicious and travel well in ziploc bags for on-the-go meals or snacks.

Hope that helps!

Cheryl

For biking or camping, I just mix any old nuts with any old dried fruit, in a ziploc bag. Instant healthy clean and relatively inexpensive "protein bar". I like cashews and cherries, but good old peanuts and raisins is fine.

If you look at her menus, there are a couple of days that she has you eating a Nitro-tech bar (30 gm protein, 2 gm sugar) for an afternoon meal.

Like Cheryl, I use them in dire emergencies (keep one in my purse) for when I am hungry and out and about. That's where they are nice.

(Oh, take the caps lock off, it looks like you are shouting);-) :)

you could also make your own protein bars. i have found a few recipes on the internet. the ones that i made actually tasted better than most of the ones that i have bought in the store too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.