Eat For Health?

pixie9

Cathlete
Has anyone read Dr. Fuhrman's new book(s)? If so, would you care to share what you thought?

TIA!
Carolyn

Hi--I bought it and read it once through, but I'm pregnant and can't seem to eat the way I ought right now.

Overall, it is a less stringent approach than the original Eat to Live. It gets a person eating the Eat to Live way much more gradually, by going through stages.

He also has a recipe book that guides one through all the stages. I found this helpful as I always wished that the original Eat to Live included more recipes.

There is more information, but the book isn't in front of me and my pregnant brain can't remember everything.

I had the best results of my life following the original Eat to Live while lifting very heavy and limiting my cardio (I was injured). I'm going to do it again post partum.

Maggie:)

Eat for Health Review

I started reading Eat for Health, and I can see why Dr. Fuhrman and his former assistant parted ways. This is a friendlier version of Eat to Live and one that I would suggest for someone who wants to transition to a plant-based way of eating as a lifestyle (instead of a quick fix diet or detox). It would be a great way to encourage your family to adapt to more fruits and veggies without feeling restricted or deprived.

Dr. Fuhrman recommends a gentle and gradual transition to a plant-based way of eating in these books. The first book is inspiration and motivation for wanting to eat this way. The second book is full of recipes and a game plan. He encourages people to start adding fruits and veggies and learn to eat slowly and chew properly. The goals for the first phase of Eat for Health are to eat at least 3 fresh fruits with breakfast and to eat a large salad (with raw veggies and fresh fruit) before dinner every night and chew all of it well. Dr. Fuhrman writes:

“After eating all these raw vegetables and fruits, you may decide to eat less at dinner because you feel too full, but let that decision come naturally. Try not overeat, but don't try to restrict yourself either. Eat the amount that feels comfortable, but try not to eat until you feel full. Stop when you are satisfied. Finding the difference between satisfied and full is an important element of this process. . . Eating slowly is the only way to gain all the nutrients you want from the food. . . In the beginning, you may continue eating your traditional diet, although you will probably be eating a lot less of it. Over time, you will be more comfortable eliminating your unhealthy food choices and replacing them with healthy alternatives because your palate will desire them. Let this process happen at its own pace. The method that I have developed is a purposeful and effective way to assist you in your transition to preferring a healthy eating style. . . This modified approach is the one you are learning here and was designed to work in sync with your brain so that you won't feel withdrawal or deprivation.”

His approach in Eat for Health is to gradually (at your own pace) take baby steps to transition from the Standard American Diet (SAD) to eating 80-90 percent fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts, and seeds. He is not as militant as his former assistant. Even the final phase includes whole grains, starchy veggies, and small portions of animal protein. I like the game plan of adding more fruits and veggies and letting them naturally displace processed food. This is more of a weaning yourself off animal protein and processed food as opposed to the cold turkey approach his former assistant advocates. If I grit my teeth and will my way through a detox only to trash out and overindulge when it is over, all my suffering was in vain. I learned that the hard way. I can negate the benefits of an extended fast or detox with a few days or weeks of trashing out. Moderation is good indeed.

I am a foodie, and I like these books. I look and feel my best with a plant-based way of eating. My body does not digest meat well. I am in full anti-diet rebellion after my encounter with his former assistant and her extreme version of this way of eating, so I have not started eating this way yet. After 3 weeks of recovery from her extreme detox (see my recent 9-1-1 thread), I am just now able to look at a fruit or veggie again. When I am ready to transform my eating with gentle nutrition, I will take baby steps as suggested in Eat for Health and enjoy this at my own pace. I refuse to diet or count calories or restrict all my favorite foods again. I like his emphasis on eating for health and life, not superficial results.

He also shares a testimony of a patient who was not willing to give up his favorite comfort foods even when facing serious health issues. Dr. Fuhrman told him to keep eating what he wanted and focus on adding more fruits and veggies. His health improved, and he eventually replaced the processed stuff with more nutrient-dense food because that is what his body was craving. This is not an all-or-nothing plan. It is encouraging to read that small changes make a big difference over time. Dr. Fuhrman writes that even if you never move beyond the first or second phase, you have still accomplished something great for your health. If you want a 3-month plan to overhaul your nutrition in phases, you will find that here. But you can do it your way too and take it at your own pace, and that is encouraged as an option.

Eat to Live made sense. I knew in my head that it was a healthy lifestyle, but it was too radical for me. My heart was not ready to give up all my favorite foods for that 6-week plan. I lasted 10 days on that. This is about learning to crawl before you walk and learning to walk before you run. Instead of diving into the deep end when you do not know how to swim, you start by stepping into the shallow end and learning how to float and breathe first. It is a much more sensible, moderate, balanced, and realistic approach in my opinion. I do not believe you have to lose your mind in the process of regaining your health. It appears that Dr. Fuhrman agrees.

I have no desire to follow the specific plan or phases in this set of books. I am recovering from chronic dieting and eating disorders. As crazy as this sounds, it is vital for me to not think about nutrition in the beginning of this journey until I break free from all-or-nothing thinking and the diet mentality. I will share more about this in a few weeks. When I am ready to transition to gentle nutrition, blessing my body with an abundance of fruits and veggies with my favorite treats and eats in moderation sounds good to me! Baby steps! (If you want goals for specific servings to eat in each phase, he gives those as an option. He may have menus in the second book. I have not read that one yet. There are plenty of recipes.)

I hope this helps! This may be more than you wanted to know, but saying anything in a few words is not my gift! LOL!

Blessings,
Heather B.

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

I am glad that he came out with this new book. I think Eat to Live had a lot of good concepts in it but to make a switch overnight it too much for most people. I may buy the book because although I am already a Vegan I have been eating a little to processed things lately and not enough veggies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.