DVD player

Fannie

Cathlete
Since I have read all the enthusiasm from you who are using DVD I am getting ready to purchase a DVD player. What type of DVD do you recommend? Do you have one that only holds one DVD or two? My only use for this will be for workouts since I use my basement. Any suggestions for a good, inexpensive DVD that will suit my workout purposes?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Pioneer DV-C503

The Pioneer 503 is a 5 disk machine, which allows me to combine workout sections from different DVDs. I can add a section from the Cardio Hits DVD to a CTX cardio section, for example, to get a longer cardio workout. If you think you might ever want to have that option, you really only have a couple of choices. The Pioneer 503 has this function, as does a 5 disk Sony whose number I can never remember, but I'm sure that someone with that machine will post. :) The new Pioneer model, the 603, is starting to appear in stores and has that function as well. Some people have seen the Pioneer 503 at Cosco for $219, which is a fabulous deal. :) I love mine! I can't wait for these newest DVDs to come out! I'm going to have so much workout flexibility!

Now if other advanced instructors would just put out DVDs, it would be perfect! :)

Hapy shopping!

Erin

Hello!

I got a DVD player about a month ago so I could buy Cathe's X-Train series on DVD so I could mix and match. I especially like this because I can use it to just do the strength portions at the end of each tape, but with the DVD, I don't have to switch VHS tapes constantly. This DVD was well worth the money. I bought mine on Amazon.com. It is the Panasonic DVD-CV40 DVD Disc Changer. It is $229.99 but shipping on this item is free (for now). I just checked and this DVD player is still available and the shipping is still free. I also didn't have to pay tax on it since I got it through Amazon. It holds 5 DVDs, which I love! This is actually an older version DVD player. I believe Amazon now has a CV50 player which is the newer one, but that is $329.99. But mine was $100 cheaper, and honestly, it works great even though it isn't their newest one.

Good luck!

Does it program across the DVDs?

Someone at Video Fitness who bought the Panasonic CV-50 tried to program across DVDs and it wouldn't. Does yours? Or are you just programming within a single DVD? Wendy over at VF is writing an article on DVDs that sut the needs of home exercisers, so she would be happy to know what your will do either way. If you don't have time to go over and post, just post the info here and I'll take care of letting Wendy know the info ( credited to you, of course! :) )

Thanks!!

Erin

RE: Does it program across the DVDs?

Hi Erin!

Actually, I'm not sure what you mean by "program" across DVDs. I'm assuming you mean can I automatically go from Cardio Kicks DVD then do something from my Pure Strength DVD.

I(for example) go to Disc 1, then do the menu options to do whatever I want--for example, the kickboxing section. Then I would do the kickboxing.

When done with that, I have to hit the button for Disc 3 to get to my pure strength DVD where I might decide to do back and triceps that day.

However, the description on Amazon.com (in the "technical description" area) says: DVD programming: Yes/32 tracks (Audio CD's and Video CD's only).

Since I am new to the DVD scene, I am not aware of many of the features on my DVD yet so maybe it does do what you are asking... I am not sure.

But, so far, I am really excited about not rewinding, fast-forwarding, and removing/inserting tapes constantly. This made the purchase worth it for me. I'll definitely have to check out it's other features to see what else it can do.

Ciao!

Programming across DVDs

With some DVD players you can set it up so that, for example, you can tell it to play the kickbox CTX section, then a cardio section and CD from Cardio Hits without having to hit any buttons after you program it and hit play. It goes through and automatically does all of the steps I told it to. It's wonderful for when I want to do combo workouts! It will be even better when the new DVDs come out. :)

I have a Sony

It's a DVP-C660 and it holds 5 disks. I don't know the current price because it keeps coming down!

I can program across DVDs. Now that PS is on DVD, I have a couple different strength programs mapped out that use the PS, CTX and Cardio Kicks/Circuit Max DVD. There is only a brief moment when the program switches between DVDs and the blue "Sony" screen flashes on the TV. Otherwise, once everything is entered in, the program plays itself beautifully.

RE: Programming across DVDs

Wow! That sounds great... I doubt the CV40 Panasonic can do it though if the more recent version (CV50) does not. But I'll check it out anyway. You never know!

RE: Does it program across the DVDs?

Since I've been checking into this for the past couple of weeks, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in! Originally I purchased the Panasonic DVD player after being assured by the salesman that it would program across DVD. Got it home, hooked it up, and NO GO! It can only program CD's or Video CD's but not DVDs. My husband even called Panasonic to make sure that the technology didn't exist on their machines. We returned the Panasonic and tonight I will pick up my new Sony. Since this was my Mother's Day present, my husband again called the company - just to be sure. Sony assures him that it will program across DVD (and I knew that from reading another thread here!). I can't remember the exact model numbers but both are 5-disk players. The Panasonic was $250 with a $50 rebate from Panasonic (at Howard's TV & Appliance) and the Sony is $299. Just for the record - Panasonic has no plans in the future to make a DVD player that can program across disks. The only 2 on the market are the Sony and the Pioneer someone else mentioned.

It's so hard trying to explain to sales people what I'm looking for and why on earth I'd want to program across DVD!

Lindy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.