drill max plank pushups with 3lb weights - what's the deal

fontanic

Cathlete
What is the deal with those plank pushups at the end of the workout? Cathe and the crew make it look so easy, yet I cant even finish the first set, so forget the second set entirely. I usually keep up with Cathe and go even heavier, so why are these so impossible? I admit that I cant quite keep up with her drop sets of push-ups in GS Chest, but I really am quite disappointed with my struggle on these plank pushups. Do they work the triceps more than the chest? My triceps are pretty strong. Is anyone able to do these as easily as Cathe?

I can barely do those either and I can pretty much do the drop sets of pushups in GS Chest. I don't know if it's because it is the last exercise and I am already spent of energy or what. Maybe I'll have to test that theory one day and do them first. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone!

I have trouble too. The last time I did them I hurt my shoulder. I'm not sure what I did but it didn't feel good. Next time I am going to modify them. Instead of going to the side, I'm going to go down into the pushup and when I come up I'm going to bring the weight up with me like a one arm row. I've done these before and I can usually go heavier on the weight.

I can do them, but I don't like the move at all! Probably my least favorite move of the new series!

They're really, really tough for me, too. You're basically doing triceps push ups into a side plank and my triceps are usually pretty tired at that point from the dips and the push ups on the ball. At least that’s MY excuse.

Yep ditto. They're not happening for me! I tried, my body wouldn't cooperate. It gives me a new challenge to work up to (as do some of the other moves)! :)

Jo

Well, I'm the weak link here, because these are WAY off the chart too hard for me. Anybody have suggestions for a good sub?

Funny thing, my tris are actually pretty strong, but I am totally unable to do triceps pushups. It doesn't seem to be a strength issue, more of a "my body doesn't bend that way" issue. I have really long arms and have wondered if it's a long-lever body-mechanics kind of thing. I always have to substitute heavy dips or some kind of extensions, and it's always a frustration to HAVE to do that.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5536.gif

I have the same problem, Kathy S. I can't seem to master the triceps pushups either. Never have been able to do them with proper form. I really can't figure out why either. I think your guess that it's somethng to do with your body not bending that way, is right on. I can't seem to figure out how to bend my arms the right way to complete the exercise. It's very frustrating!

Now that I think of it, I wanted to ask you guys something. I seem to have weaker chest muscles and am unable to do as many standard pushups since I had my son 4 years ago. I have no idea why that would be an issue, but it really, truly has been. I wonder sometimes if it's from weak shoulder and upperback muscles, or they are overworked from carrying my son around so much. I just can't seem to bend down far enough, in proper form, to execute a traditional pushup. I used to be able to do them really well, but now I simply can't. I was curious if anyone else had this same problem, or am I totally odd and it doesn't make any sense at all???

I haven't had any problems doing the plank push ups in Drill Max at all. It must be because I have done them in other workout videos before. I can do all of them and keep up with them all, too. I really love that kind of core workout!

But I must say, last week my 5 year old was bugging to workout with me. I always tell him it is too hard for him. The very next morning when he woke up, he came into my workout room and saw me doing the plank push ups ( I had just started them). He ran right over and picked up two 2# weights and proceeded to watch Cathe and try them.

Well, after he tried to do a couple he said "These are too hard!" After the stretch, he asked me to put an easier workout in for him because Cathe was too hard. It was really cute!

Cheryl

>Well, I'm the weak link here, because these are WAY off the
>chart too hard for me. Anybody have suggestions for a good
>sub?

How about a push-up move from the bonus footage in one of the Timesaver workouts: do a regular push-up, and at the top, do a lat row with one arm (Cathe doesn't use weights for this, but you could if the move is doable for you with them).

Can you do triceps push-ups on your knees? I usually have to go to my knees for tricep push-ups and some other variations (like 'pyramid' push-ups---the ones where your pointer fingers and thumbs are touching, and the space between your hands is in the shape of a triangle/pyramid).

Hi Kathryn!

I appreciate the suggestions. That push-up move from Timesavers is good for me, but does it hit the tris?

Triceps pushups on my knees aren't any easier, and if anything they feel more awkward because then my long arms feel even more tangled up with my knees (I swear I'm practically knuckle-dragging ;-)).

Yesterday I tried doing these pushups in a wider-handed position so that they hit more chest than tris, but when I did that I had balance issues coming up into the side-plank move. Yikes. Just gotta keep practicing.

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5536.gif

>I appreciate the suggestions. That push-up move from
>Timesavers is good for me, but does it hit the tris?

It will hit them a bit, as all push-ups do, but not as much as a triceps push-up, unless you turn it into a triceps push-up by keeping your hands closer and elbows in (and maybe going to knees, which I have to do for tricps push-ups).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.