Diet Question Please?

Maybe I can try adding some oatmeal but I really want to keep one meal replacement instead of meal and snacks while I add that on first. I've read that meal replacement drinks are one of thebest ways to loose weight and stay nourished. I guess I feel as I have done something wrong as I shouldn't have drank and put all of that weight on....plus now my husband tells me he's not attracted to me any longer, as I'm fat and let myself go. It's really not that cut and dry as you all can see from my blunt and embarrassing honesty. It was hard to admit the truth on here, as I'm not proud of what I did and I guess I'm pretty sensitive for letting a bunch of 20/year olds bully me to the point that they did.......I actually even ended up loosing my job over the situation.

Lorajeanne:

I am sorry to hear that you have been through some troubles recently. There's a whole bunch of different problems all coalescing to make you feel pretty crappy right now. But, they don't have to keep having this control over you, and you can move past this.

"I shouldn't have drunk and put all that weight on..." Well, the first thing to do here is to acknowledge that you are simply human, you did what you did because at the time you wanted it or needed it, it now belongs to the past. Leave it there and focus on now and tomorrow. This, in the scheme of things, is a minor mistake or past action. It really is not the end of the world. Try not to lose perspective, as your husband seems to be doing! Forgive yourself, accept this humanity in you, and now move forwards, OK? I screw up every single day in some way or another. My daughters do too and they berate themselves for it to no end, but really, it achieves nothing and can be harmful.

Weight is gained, weight can also be lost. You didn't gain weight overnight, you won't lose it overnight either. But a friend of mine, aged 52 who does not exercise due to hip problems, has been working to lose weight: 18 pounds in 18 weeks is her total so far. It can be done at our age. Slow and steady is the way. Her solution is portion control. She measures all her food, does not put any single item on the 'forbidden' list, simply enjoys smaller portions of them because she wants to live her life and food and drink are some of life's pleasures. You have equal right to these pleasures. You are not here to deny yourself taste sensations to fit into anyone else's, including your husband's, idea of what you should look like at this age.

As we age, our bodies change. Fact. Does your husband have any stones to throw really? Is he exactly the same as the day you married him? Has time not wrought changes upon his body and metabolism? Well then. Do you love him still?

Many factors come into play to determine how and why and whether we are attracted to someone or not. Physical appearance is only one factor. If your husband bases your attractiveness to him purely on weight gain, then maybe he is a shallow human being and is doing you and your relationship a disservice. I can imagine that, what with hormonal changes, weight gain and now your husband's callous words, your confidence has taken a beating. Know that you are worthy. And you are lovable. And you are worthy of believing in yourself to go ahead and make small, incremental changes in your exercise and nutrition habits to help make you feel better and more comfortable in your own skin. You have to love you first: whether your husband does or not comes second. Try not to let his opinion derail your goals and the plans you make to attain them. And also, try not to let his words filter through into your head as the message that you do not deserve decent nutrition and must resign yourself to multiple meal replacements. You deserve better.

Meal replacements are not meant to be used as fuel long term. And they do not educate a person to resume a normal healthy diet at the end of this period of meal replacement. It is a form of weight loss diet and all diets backfire sooner or later. You truly are better off getting rid of them and focusing on nourishing your body and practicing portion control. You need a habit of exercising regularly and consistently and nutritional habits that you can sustain for this next stage of your life. Meal replacements will not help you get there. I am sorry to say so and disappoint you.

It is true however that we need fewer calories as we age, so, real food, but less of it than you ate in your 20s is what's called for at this point.

If you aren't already, might I suggest speaking to a counsellor of some sort? gaining another perspective on all these myriad troubles will help you to understand how and why they happened, how they are affecting you, and how you can move past them and start feeling better about yourself.

I wish you luck Lorajeanne,

Clare

Clare has given you the best advice I think you are gonna get, I just wanted to add regarding
I guess I'm pretty sensitive for letting a bunch of 20/year olds bully me to the point that they did.......I actually even ended up loosing my job over the situation.
. I'm very sorry that you lost your job. I went through something similar. It was not easy for me to re-build my confidence back up either. Not at all. It takes time and it takes work. I was discriminated against at my job nearly every day and it was pretty bad. Jokes posted up in the lunch room ....that type of thing. Not something I expected from a group of adults. I have so often looked back and kicked myself because I SHOULD have done something about it rather than just leave my job. What did I have then? I saw an EAP counsellor when this was happening and they informed me that it was illegal (what was going on) and that I ought to make formal complaints. But because I was a mouse who didn't want to cause any more fuss or have any more negative attention, I did not. It is difficult to let all of that go. But by going over it again and again and feeling bad, you are only putting yourself back in the situation. FORGET those arseholes, don't let their words stay with you and replace it with self respect.
Just as Clare has already said, none of us are perfect inside OR outside. You need to stop being so hard on yourself. You are completely worthy of love whether you gained some weight or not.
Amazon has some excellent acceptance & commitment therapy workbooks available. I have found this approach quite helpful.
Sorry if I went off topic too much!!

Like Clare and Elsie have said, you deserve some support and compassion. I think at the moment your weight is not relevant- would your life be perfect if you lost the excess weight? I totally understand your wanting to lose it, but that's just easing some symptoms, rather than fixing the real problem.

Do you have a hobby? Something you're really good at? Any particularly close friends? Maybe you could get out and find a lovely group of people who share a passion for something you enjoy? And, no, you don't need to lose the weight before getting out there....

We are not a number (on the scale or on the barbell or round the waist or our IQ):
https://medium.com/@niashanks/your-weight-doesn-t-define-your-self-worth-610f9abd7ab0#.5ocwx13oq

Thanks ladies for letting me spill! I am starting counseling AGAIN after a couple failed attempts In the past....was hit on by one women at one counseling session and another woman told me to simply buy se!f help books on positive thinking, duh.....I already have a bunch of that stuff. I'm going to a drug and alcohol counse!or this time as a long time ago....in my teens... I had issues with that and since I turned to alcohol atmy last job bullying issue, I think it would be good to go this route and try it this time.

As far as hobbies...yes, I'm getting a perfume oil biz started...and that keeps me busy.

Elsie....sorry for your WO trouble! I've had a lot of problems at work also!

If you are interested, you might also look into IIFYM way of eating. I am mostly doing that now, and its great cause as long as you work out your macros, your carbs, proteins and fats, you can eat anything. How wonderful to get my ice cream bar if I want one!

I also had to reverse diet my way from eating 1200-1400 cals a day, to now I'm finally losing weight on 1800-2000 cals a day depending on if I workout or not. Cause its so hard to eat rabbit food everyday, workout and gain weight. Been there done that!

As far as your life goes, wow! Sounds like you have a lot going on, and I'm so very happy you are going to see a counselor about it. That's a very positive thing to do and shows you are really taking steps in the right direction. Just keep putting these small steps together, and soon you will see things all fall into place.

Clare has given you the best advice I think you are gonna get, I just wanted to add regarding
. I'm very sorry that you lost your job. I went through something similar. It was not easy for me to re-build my confidence back up either. Not at all. It takes time and it takes work. I was discriminated against at my job nearly every day and it was pretty bad. Jokes posted up in the lunch room ....that type of thing. Not something I expected from a group of adults. I have so often looked back and kicked myself because I SHOULD have done something about it rather than just leave my job. What did I have then? I saw an EAP counsellor when this was happening and they informed me that it was illegal (what was going on) and that I ought to make formal complaints. But because I was a mouse who didn't want to cause any more fuss or have any more negative attention, I did not. It is difficult to let all of that go. But by going over it again and again and feeling bad, you are only putting yourself back in the situation. FORGET those arseholes, don't let their words stay with you and replace it with self respect.
Just as Clare has already said, none of us are perfect inside OR outside. You need to stop being so hard on yourself. You are completely worthy of love whether you gained some weight or not.
Amazon has some excellent acceptance & commitment therapy workbooks available. I have found this approach quite helpful.
Sorry if I went off topic too much!!

Oh Elsie:

so sorry for all that shittiness in the past. Big hugs girl. Love your post and your honesty. It's amazing the shit we put up with when we are younger and scared. But, we are getting more mature and better at saying 'no!' and kicking the arseholes to the curb. All power to you,

Clare

Check out this site (link below) I love these Naturopath docs, they have written two books and their blogs and website have awesome info, I plan on doing their nutrition certification this year, great tips to deal with hormones as we age! :) You need to find what works for your personal metabolism.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/menopause-weight-loss/[/QUOTE]

OK finally read this and it looks like I'm on the right track with everything ....need to add the walking ....I've started rebounding due to weather..... And watch my sugar....and I should see some improvement ....need to drink more...I know -- I forget to drink water. Actually that article didn't say to eat much more than I am. I guess menopause really is a BEAR!! My Beautician is post menopausal...and is too funny. Everytime I go get my hair cut she tells me Honey, you just can't eat at all when you're post meno'pausal! Stop eatin'!! just stop! or it'll go to your hips!!! and she tells me to walk all of the time!!

Loved this article! Thanks so much for posting. Some great suggestions in an easy to remember '4S' format for those of us who wish to tweak our lifestyle during and after the menopausal years! I still think I have to work out more than he suggests to get the changes in body composition (% lean muscle) that I want (I do like to workout with Cathe almost every day ;)) but the idea of decreasing stress (cortisol) I have found to be very important (Yoga Relax DVD is now more frequently used :)). Great simple ideas for tightening up the diet specific to those of us over 50.

Check out this site (link below) I love these Naturopath docs, they have written two books and their blogs and website have awesome info, I plan on doing their nutrition certification this year, great tips to deal with hormones as we age! :) You need to find what works for your personal metabolism.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/menopause-weight-loss/

OK finally read this and it looks like I'm on the right track with everything ....need to add the walking ....I've started rebounding due to weather..... And watch my sugar....and I should see some improvement ....need to drink more...I know -- I forget to drink water. Actually that article didn't say to eat much more than I am. I guess menopause really is a BEAR!! My Beautician is post menopausal...and is too funny. Everytime I go get my hair cut she tells me Honey, you just can't eat at all when you're post meno'pausal! Stop eatin'!! just stop! or it'll go to your hips!!! and she tells me to walk all of the time!![/QUOTE]

I also feel you need to eat and fuel your body, so don't get into that mode of feeling the need to starve yourself, vegetables are unlimited, and full of fiber that will help you feel full and nourish your body as well, don't forget the all important protein, I think someone above posted some great options for you. I love to mix up different vegetables and roast them, all sorts of combos and include your sweet potatos for a great carb source. With what's been going on with you, the walking and rest based strategies are going to be very helpful for you, you've been through a lot and need to take care of you !! :)

OK finally read this and it looks like I'm on the right track with everything ....need to add the walking ....I've started rebounding due to weather..... And watch my sugar....and I should see some improvement ....need to drink more...I know -- I forget to drink water. Actually that article didn't say to eat much more than I am. I guess menopause really is a BEAR!! My Beautician is post menopausal...and is too funny. Everytime I go get my hair cut she tells me Honey, you just can't eat at all when you're post meno'pausal! Stop eatin'!! just stop! or it'll go to your hips!!! and she tells me to walk all of the time!!

I also feel you need to eat and fuel your body, so don't get into that mode of feeling the need to starve yourself, vegetables are unlimited, and full of fiber that will help you feel full and nourish your body as well, don't forget the all important protein, I think someone above posted some great options for you. I love to mix up different vegetables and roast them, all sorts of combos and include your sweet potatos for a great carb source. With what's been going on with you, the walking and rest based strategies are going to be very helpful for you, you've been through a lot and need to take care of you !! :)[/QUOTE]

Well, I forgot to mention - that I do Kundalini Yoga every day. I'm hooked on it. My husband and I actually do it to try and heal our backs and my neck. He started doing it for his low back. I do it more than him. So I'm good on the cortisol lowering exercises. I also want to start cross training with flow yoga like I used to do...but I couldn't do it right after my rib fractures...not sure if I'm ready yet...maybe if I go slow. My problem is finding what is "hard enough" exercise for me with my limitations, being my disc herniations, and I have a horrid arthritic big toe and bunion on my left foot that require a cortisone injection every 3 months just to be able to walk pain free. I'm trying to keep from having surgery. I'm only allowed low impact cardio...but even walking bothers it when it needs injected...it swells and hurts so bad...like now...cuz I didn't have it injected when I was layed up with my car accident. Anyway.....I either Overdo it with my weights and go to heavy and then spend a week having to do yoga and quelch my neck and shoulder pain....or feel like I don't do enough. You know it's hard when You KNOW you have the muscle and ability to DO IT...but you can't because of limititations of your body!! It's maddening! You think since I've had this my entire life that I'd be used to it...but I've suffered with balance.

Anyway, I highly recommend Ravi/Ana DVDs...they are the most used in my library of DVDs....that and my Dasha's as Kettlebell's are the only other thing that don't seem to bother my back/neck.

And yes, I DO need to move more...since it's been crappy weather here....plus too dark in the morning's yet to walk in the Park where I walk where I like to see the deer! I have started Rebounding on my Rebounding with a Health Bounce for now....just finished 30 minutes switching back and forth on my Malibu Pilates Chair and some boxing.....then did my half hour of Kundalini! and 10 min TA Arms...450 calories...max HR 130...not bad for a start?

Lorajeanne:

excellent start! Consistency is key. Do something every day. Movement in addition to exercise. 2 days ago I did two of Cathe;s newest workouts. Today I walked 12 miles. Some might say it isn't legit because today didn't involve HiiT training or weights, but I like to mix it up and walking is good meditation.

Do something every day and do and eat a little of what makes you feel good.

Remember: your body is NOT your enemy and you do not need to battle it. Treat it well and you'll enjoy living in your own skin. I personally do not like what your hairdresser said. But then, maybe, she never exercises, so her metabolism has slowed right down. Get yours back in gear and then nourish your body. Yes, eat!

Clare

You can check in facebook Gina Alottis she has a good diet programs, if you want send me you email and I can share with you the 6 weeks plan, no countin calories, she give the plan wath you have to eat every meal and the amount.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.