Custom made arch supports

ashleyann

Cathlete
Has anyone of you had custom arch supports made? I've been having problems with my knees and my Dr. sent me to a foot Dr. and to Physical Therapy, the therapist and both Dr.'s say that I have weak arches and that may be why I am having problems with my knees. I am going today to get the arch supports made and it costs around $400. I was just wondering if anyone else got them and if you noticed a big difference.

Thanks,
Ashley

Hi Ashley,

I had a pair of prescription orthotics made for my shoes about six months ago to help address some problems I've had with my back and one knee. The pair I bought were made to go into sneakers, and for use with sports and activities that might be higher impact.

I've noticed a big improvement in how I feel after doing a workout since wearing them. I can definitely tell when I'm not wearing them. My left arch drops quite a bit when I stand up, which causes my knee to turn in and my body to become kind of crooked. The orthotics do a great job of stabilizing my posture. They were expensive, like $330, but IMO worth the cost.

Hope this helps.

I have had them for 6 years. Best investment for my feet I have every made. Mine were $300 and worth every penny.

I got two pairs of custom orthotics (one for regular shoes, one for dress shoes) a few months ago. After the break in-period, during which I also had some chiropractic adjustments to help my body adapt, I think they're great! Not only are they helpful for my knees, but also my hips, back and shoulders.

Mine cost something like $249 per orthotic, but my insurance footed most of the bill, and the chiropractor I got them though gave me a discretionary discount on the rest of the cost, so I ended up paying $240 for both pairs.

FYI: Birkenstocks and Teva's have good support for pronating feet (low arches) like mine (my chiropractor tested me with some neuromuscular test while I was wearing them, and they were the only shoes I had that passed the test). Unfortunately, they don't have workout shoes or dressy shoes.

I've had mine for 8 years. I don't remember what I paid for them but insurance covered a portion of the cost. I simply couldn't get by without them. I put them in my athletic shoes. I tried the half supports for dress shoes but didn't feel they worked as well as the full inserts. It's a great investment in your health and I wouldn't hesitate to get them. Most likely you will need to buy a larger shoe size to accommodate them.

I worked for podiatrists for 10+ years and I've seen hundreds of people get their orthotics!! Feel free to pm me with questions!

Most people love them. If you don't, feel free to go back and tell them the problem- it's usually a quick modification for the doctor to make.

Insurance companies don't typically foot the entire bill, so make sure you're not taking the doctor's word for it. I believe the code is L3030 or something like that- you're welcome to call your insurance company and request the benefit breakdown on custom orthotics!! :)

Ashley,

I have weak arches and had also (long ago) had arches made for me. They are soooooo expensive. Later though, I moved and got another doctor. He told me to purchase Birkenstock. Never had a problem since, and much less expensive. They even have inserts to put in your favorite shoes. It's now been going on 15 years and I still love the birkenstock. The shoes never get old! I still have them and they still work. I get a new pair just because I like to change shoes from time to time, but it seems they go on forever.

Janie

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, then don't say anything at all."
-My mother, Mary Cooper-

Can you wear open backed shoes with these? I have very high arches, which can lead to overuse injuries, plantar faciitis, heel pain... I'm going to see a podiatrist soon. I have some orthotics I purchased through a specialty company in the meantime, but they can only be worn with shoes that have a back.

What do you do if you want to dress up?!! Last week, I bought a pair of Dansko's because they have excellent arch support, but they had a heel and my shins were killing me in a few hours. Now I'm only comfortable in my workout shoes, but ick, I can't wear those with everything!!

>Can you wear open backed shoes with these?
>What do you do if you want to dress up?!!

They make all different kinds of orthotics these days. There are special 3/4-length ones for dress shoes. And some you can wear in open-backed shoes as well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.