Cortisol/Adrenal Fatigue

Murphymax

Cathlete
Ladies, I apologize in advance for the long post. I always learn so much from all of you so I thought I would throw this out there and see what feedback you might have for me.

I just learned my cortisol levels are off the charts and my poor little adrenal glands are more than a little fatigued. As I am sure many of you can relate to, I love my Cathe workouts because of the adrenaline rush I get from the high intensity.

Well, for the time being, I need to lower the cardio intensity factor of my workouts. I plan on continuing to use Cathe’s Butts and Gutts, Core Max and Muscle Endurance. I thought it would be ok to use some of my P90X DVD’s (chest & back, shoulders & arms, yoga, chest, shoulders & triceps) as well. Of course, no Plyo for me – gosh darn it, and I was soooo loving Cathe’s new HIIT DVD.

A couple of Cathe’s new Shock Cardio DVD’s seem fairly low intensity to me (i.e. MMA Fusion), meaning my heart rate remains in Zone 1 (65%-75%) for most of the workout. I think that should be ok to be working out at 65%-75% max HR. Typically, my workouts were in Zone 2 mixing in Zone 3. I don’t know, Ladies, what do you think? My doctor and I merely talked about me “lowering my intensity”; however, we did not go into great detail of what this would look like.

Any suggestions on Cathe workouts or other workouts that would provide a good overall workout – strength, flexibility and mild cardio?

If anyone else has faced this issue I would love to know if there were things that helped you. I really hate to bore you with an inordinate amount of detail; however, my doctor and I are presently working to balance my hormones with bio-identical hormones (due to a hysterectomy) and trying to improve my sleep with amino acids. I am an extremely healthy eater (no gluten, dairy or eggs due to allergies), no processed or refined foods, only whole foods and no caffeine. We do not use any chemicals in our home either, including cleaning products and health and beauty products. I recently added in l-theanine and phosphatidylserine. I also take an adrenal support. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help, ladies. There have been so many times I have searched the forum on information and have always had my questions answered by other posts that were made. You are a great community and resource. Thanks again.

Elaine

Brendan Brazier's "Thrive" book adresses nutritional strategies for supporting the adrenal glands.

He suggests using Maca, and I've found it helpful.

I had to go on prednisone for poison ivy (for the Nth time) in the summer of 2008 (but NEVER again!), and acupuncture and maca were the two things I did to help get me back on track after the medication left me really burnt out.

Thanks, Kathryn. Actually, I started using Maca root a couple of months ago. I definitely notice a calming affect with it. Thanks again for the suggestion. I will also check out the book and see what else is recommended.

Check out this book "Adrenal Fatigue the 21st century stress syndrome" and "Lights out, sleep, sugar and survival." by TS Wiley. Both are illuminating and helpful.

I highly recommend a meditation or yoga practice. That has greatly reduced my stress level. I do take fish oil which seems to help with my stress response (seems to) You might try switching to day light spectrum light bulbs. I don't know if that would help at all. How is your vitamin D level? What about guggul? No, not giggles although I think those would help too. Its supposed to help the body deal with and recover from stress. Can you do lavender baths? Those help me before bed bring down my stress/anxiety level. If you don't take an SSRI you can try grapefruit to assist with anxiety levels. I don't know if any of these simplistic things would help you.

Workouts to try: LIC (ok not really low intensity but lower than HIIT!)
Basic Step (the easiest Cathe)
Walking with or without a weighted vest (for intensity without impact, adjustable up or down.)
Leslie Sansone- any of the fast mile workouts are lower intensity than Cathe and low impact. You may laugh but I like her. You can get them on Netflix so if you don't want to keep it you don't have to.
What about hula or belly dancing?

Good luck, I really hope you feel better soon.

Alisha

Alisha, thank you so much for ALL of your suggestions. I have not heard of guggul (I agree, I think more giggles would help :) - I will definitely be doing some research on this. I love it when I learn about a new herb/supplement. Thank you.

This isn't a Cathe workout ... but I usually go for Kari Anderson's Reach when I want a nice dynamic stretch that's upright and peaceful. Will Power & Grace is also good that way.

And I absolutely positively love my TRX suspension system (had to throw that in). It's one of those pricey but worth it items. Flexibility and Back Biometrics are relaxing yet effective; and it is easy to adjust the 'weight' you're effectively moving with other style workouts (Core, Strength, Training, ...).

Thank you, Shadowpup. Yeah, I just ordered a couple of new yoga DVDs. I typically only do yoga a couple of times a week; however, I think this might be a good time to make it more of the focus of my workout versus something I simply add on at the end.

The TRX suspension system looks interesting. I had not heard of this.

Thank you for sharing.

Elaine

Elaine...I know a couple of other posters have mentioned some adrenal supplements, but have you tried Adrenal Health by Gaia (Sorry if someone already suggested)? I've had a lot of success with it. I get it from Whole Foods.

All the best!
Jonezie

Hi Elaine,

I think you are right on track for taking care of this. My adrenal levels were rock bottom a few years ago and my dr gave me a supplement made by Vital Nutrients called Adrenal Support (from their website):

Adrenal Support - 120 capsules
Description: *ADRENAL SUPPORT is a combination of whole adrenal, adrenal cortex and herbs that nutritionally support the adrenal glands. Enhancing the body's ability to produce certain adrenal hormones, it helps to support the immune system and also relieves mild stress and frustration.

Adrenal Support contains per 2 capsules:
Adrenal (whole) Bovine 300mg
Adrenal (cortex) Bovine 150mg
Eleuthero Root Extract 200mg
Ashwagandha Root Extract 200mg
Cordyceps sinensis Mycelium Extract 100mg
Pantothenic Acid 100mg
Other Ingredients:
Gelatin Capsule, Rice Powder, Calcium Carbonate. May contain Ascorbyl Palmitate and/or Silica.

I, too, am on bioidentical hormones from a hysterectomy I had to have in 2002. Of all the supplements/medicines I have taken, you'd have to pry this one from my hormone-deficient fingers before I gave it up! AND I'm allergic to whey/dairy and eggs .... although I do have my coffee every morning.

I think the MMA workouts (and others you listed) would be great while you are getting your levels up. I worked out the whole time I was trying to figure out my fatigue, and some days it was the only time I felt good.

HTH!

Hokypoky and Jonezie, thank you so much for the supplement suggestions! I have not heard of either one of these. I will print off the information and take it to my doctor at my next appt.

Hokypoky, I love reading the Adrenal support has been really effective for you. I have been on several supplements for adrenal support since August and clearly they are not doing the trick. You gave me hope - thanks! :)

Adrenal Fatigue

It is so nice to see this post here. I have been struggling with adrenal fatigue. I was a HUGE Cathe fan and last year I just couldn't do it anymore- I had no energy, nothing. I have hypothyroidism and no one ever told me about adrenal fatigue. I have been dealing with anxiety and now depression. At the time, I thought I needed a change so I bought the P90X program. It sat there until my husband started it almost 90 days ago. I see his drive to workout and I miss mine!!! I have to take things slow and go for walks. Today I did two 15 minute walks. My doctor has me on Cortef (hydrocortisone) after the adrenal supplements and Isocort (a stronger adrenal supplement) did not help.

I have most of the Cathe videos and have been thinking about starting with a stretch... I have the desire to do it now but I don't have much energy- yet!

Thanks!

I too have been struggling with insomnia, depression, anxiety and lack of energy. I have recently seen a naturapath doctor who suggested adrenal fatigue and possibly early perimenapause (eek - only 37!) anyway excercise is one of my passions and I have dreading workouts lately. It is interesting to know others are also experiencing this as well. I would be interested in learning how everyone is coping with this. I have attempting another round of STS (made it through Meso 1) and now find little motivation or desire for Meso 2. I am afraid of gaining weight if I cut back on my more intense workouts.

I really like this website www.womentowomen.com have ordered the vitamins and adrenal support supps. I"m starting to feel better. My thyroid isn't functioning properly either but the endocrinologist doesn't want to put me on meds just yet. I had to give up many of my high intensity workouts because the fatigue I've been experiencing is so bad! Its a struggle just to exercise period...its so frustrating! Little by little I"m getting my energy back but I'm not ready to push myself to do harder workouts right now. My body just can't take it.

I really like this website www.womentowomen.com have ordered the vitamins and adrenal support supps. I"m starting to feel better. My thyroid isn't functioning properly either but the endocrinologist doesn't want to put me on meds just yet. I had to give up many of my high intensity workouts because the fatigue I've been experiencing is so bad! Its a struggle just to exercise period...its so frustrating! Little by little I"m getting my energy back but I'm not ready to push myself to do harder workouts right now. My body just can't take it.

Connie-Were you diagnosed by a doctor with adrenal fatigue or did you just take their survey on womentowomen.com? I took their survey and they said I am moderate to severe and should go on their adrenal support. I'm wondering if I need to first get a formal test from my doc?

Stephanie, I took their survey. The endocrinologist insists my fatigue is from sleep apnea, another dr insists I have a thyroid problem (he's the one that sent me to the endo) I'm just so frustrated at having all these dang blood tests but no answers. I"m depsarate so I decided to try the adrenal supps from womentowomen. It may not be a smart move but I"m at a loss as to what to do. I simply don't have the energy to find another dr, get yet MORE tests...

I totally understand. I went to my gyn last week and was explaining to her that I was having such a hard time losing weight. She looked at my chart and said, "Well, you've done great. You've lost 26 pounds this past year!" I had a child, and I lost residual weight, but I've totally stalled out. She didn't understand that I am doing EVERYTHING I know to do. She just told me, "Maybe this is your new normal." And "People's bodies change after babies." I told her that I had gotten into VERY good shape after my second child was born, so I knew it was possible. And this definitely was NOT my new normal. I wish I had asked for hormone tests. I feel stupid calling them back to request them because she thinks I'm just being vain. I could tell. I just want to see the fruits of all this labor. I mean, if you work and work toward a goal and cannot reach it, SOMETHING has to be holding you back. Right? If it's an imbalance, it's important to find it. I am tempted to go on adrenal support regardless, but I just don't want to do damage.

Low Max

Ladies, I apologize in advance for the long post. I always learn so much from all of you so I thought I would throw this out there and see what feedback you might have for me.

I just learned my cortisol levels are off the charts and my poor little adrenal glands are more than a little fatigued. As I am sure many of you can relate to, I love my Cathe workouts because of the adrenaline rush I get from the high intensity.

Well, for the time being, I need to lower the cardio intensity factor of my workouts. I plan on continuing to use Cathe’s Butts and Gutts, Core Max and Muscle Endurance. I thought it would be ok to use some of my P90X DVD’s (chest & back, shoulders & arms, yoga, chest, shoulders & triceps) as well. Of course, no Plyo for me – gosh darn it, and I was soooo loving Cathe’s new HIIT DVD.

A couple of Cathe’s new Shock Cardio DVD’s seem fairly low intensity to me (i.e. MMA Fusion), meaning my heart rate remains in Zone 1 (65%-75%) for most of the workout. I think that should be ok to be working out at 65%-75% max HR. Typically, my workouts were in Zone 2 mixing in Zone 3. I don’t know, Ladies, what do you think? My doctor and I merely talked about me “lowering my intensity”; however, we did not go into great detail of what this would look like.

Any suggestions on Cathe workouts or other workouts that would provide a good overall workout – strength, flexibility and mild cardio?

If anyone else has faced this issue I would love to know if there were things that helped you. I really hate to bore you with an inordinate amount of detail; however, my doctor and I are presently working to balance my hormones with bio-identical hormones (due to a hysterectomy) and trying to improve my sleep with amino acids. I am an extremely healthy eater (no gluten, dairy or eggs due to allergies), no processed or refined foods, only whole foods and no caffeine. We do not use any chemicals in our home either, including cleaning products and health and beauty products. I recently added in l-theanine and phosphatidylserine. I also take an adrenal support. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help, ladies. There have been so many times I have searched the forum on information and have always had my questions answered by other posts that were made. You are a great community and resource. Thanks again.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

I understand about adreanal insuffiency. A close friend of mine had a pheochromcytoma (adreanal tumor) and had to have the tumor and the glad removed. He had all the symptoms: uncontrolled high blood pressure and anxiety attacks.

One doctor never thought that he might have a pheo. I was pretty sure that was the problem, so when an MRI showed a growth on his adrenal gland and he was referred to a surgeon he had a thorough testing. This is because pheos are extremely rare.

Did you have the 24 hour urine test to measure the levels of hormones that are out of whack if you have adrenal problems? Have you had any type of imaging to rule out the possibility of a tumor?

If not, ask your doctor about this. He/she will should know a lot more about it than me.

Before turning to holistic medicine or supplements, I STRONGLY suggest you have the possibility of a pheochromocytoma ruled out. You are describing some of the symptoms of a pheo. These tumors lead to stroke or a heart attack most of the time. These tumors are lethal most of the time and doctors do not think to screen for them due to their being a very rare tumor.

On autopsy 50% of stroke deaths were due to an undiagnosed pheo. Most doctors are very uninformed about what to look for when you have adrenal insufficiency. If you have a doctor who says no, that is not it you don't need to be screened, get a second opinion like my friend did. A second opinion saved his life.

As for workouts, Low Max was the cardio workout that helped me the most when I had uncontrolled asthma. I lowered the step to 6 inches and did one of the premixes.

ABC news just had a video section about how sometimes social networking can be bad advice and mine may be. I am not a physician and I may not know what I am talking about, so take my advice for what it is worth.

I hope you feel great soon. Please keep us posted!

Last edited:
As someone who is going through adrenal fatigue, I did a 24hr saliva test... It is a 4 part test where you collect your saliva at 8am, Noon, 5pm and before bed. The company tests it and tells you where your cortisol level falls- either high or low. It is highly recommended doing this test BEFORE starting any adrenal support... If you are on something, it is suggested to be off of it for 2 weeks prior to testing.

I did the saliva test and it came back low in the morning, high in the afternoon and dinner and low at night. I have also had a 24hr urine test and that just showed I am low in cortisol and I recently had a CT scan of my adrenals- there are no tumors.... They did find gallstones! :-(

I was interested in how everyone works out with the fatigue? I know I can't push myself because working out uses the cortisol I take and I am needing all I can get right now.

For me, I would be extremely suspicious if the "doctor" was a naturopath, homeopath or other alternative practitioner. The OP doesn't mention what kind of doctor it is that she's working with. I would stick to getting official diagnoses from MDs, including endocrinologists.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.