Combining Workouts

JanetPinto

Has anyone been combining the workouts? I've been doing that from the start and love it! Plyo 1 with Upper Body Circuit, LI 2 with LBC. I did the All Blasts Premix from LIHI Legs with LBC and today, UBC followed by All Strength Premix from LIHI Legs. Other combos: Cardio Blast from X10 followed by LI 1 and 2, Plyo 2 followed by one of the LIHI upper body workouts.

My only worry is that I'll overdo it, so I am mixing those combos with older workouts from the LI Series and the Xtrain LI HIIT workout.

I'd love to hear how you all are combining workouts!

I'm going to have to save up and get the LIHI Series.... I need a challenge and it sounds like they are harder than tabatacise, HIIT, IMAX3, Butts & Guts ???

I'm going to have to save up and get the LIHI Series.... I need a challenge and it sounds like they are harder than tabatacise, HIIT, IMAX3, Butts & Guts ???
I don't know if I'd say they are harder, just different. I do think 40/20 is just as hard, if not harder! I don't have the IMAXes, but I havent done Butts and Guts in a while, maybe I'll hit that one tomorrow morning!
Also, Afterburn is still one of my faves.

I'll have to do Afterburn again... I did it after a 15 miler one day and I think I just wasn't into it because I was too tired....

I've been combining the plyo hiit or low impact hiit from lihi with one body part from burnsets, and then finishing with abs work.
another thing I want to try is the weights work only from lihi legs plus weights only from lower body circuit. I'd then go heavier on the weights.

oooh, and I'm also enjoying Cathe Live where she mixes Hi Lo Hiit. I'll make my own version when the w/o blender happens. Can't wait to try her RWH Scramble that she's creating for Cathe Live today!

I've been combining the plyo hiit or low impact hiit from lihi with one body part from burnsets, and then finishing with abs work.
another thing I want to try is the weights work only from lihi legs plus weights only from lower body circuit. I'd then go heavier on the weights.
Justine, I love the sound of this.
I generally avoid doing heavy UB weights (even two different parts of an UB split) on consecutive days, but I imagine this is unnecessary if you sequence your workouts intelligently, right? Like, chest and back on consecutive days, as there isn't a ton of assistance between those two muscle groups, but not chest and shoulders on consecutive days?
Curious to hear your thoughts...
Roz

Hi Roz - yes, I tried to order the workouts sensibly. Chest, then bis, then shoulders, then back then tris. Probably not the best order, but it felt OK. Once I've finished my current rotation (RWH + Xtrain, with a few extra UB workouts thrown in), I think I'll do a 5 day split using Burn Sets and other heavy workouts (Body Beast?) and all Cathe's various HiiTs. (Although I'm thinking 4 day split + 1 day total body may be ....can't decide).
Love to hear your thoughts????
x

Justine,
Your order seems sensible to me! I feel like shoulders are the hardest group to place, as they participate in so much.
Another possibility might be:
Back, Chest, Bis, Legs, Shoulders, Tris

In your 5-day split, would you have a straight lower body workout in there, or just get your LB work from the HIIT work (which would still be significant)!

This could be a possibility for a 4-day split + TB week:
(Bis + Tris), Back, Chest, (Legs + Shoulders), [other workout], Total Body
Or maybe do Chest + Legs on day 3 to give the lower body more time before total body?
I feel like I'm playing Tetris... ;)

I'm trying to streamline my workouts (busy times for me) and add back a bit of yoga, so I think that's going to mean cutting some of the straight cardio. I did Lean Lower Body Live this morning, which is great for me, as it get in cardio and LB work in less than an hour -- time for a little yoga at the end, too.

I've been toying with beginning Mesos 2+3 (and have done a few of the Meso 2 workouts), but I'm not sure I want or can take on that commitment right now. However, the way the Meso 2 UB workouts are sequenced, I could add one body part (or two) on to the end of a leg or cardio or yoga session. Even though it's not less time, somehow it feels more flexible.

Meso 3 wouldn't be as flexible but... I suppose I could run two laptops, one with a M3 UB workout and the other with a LB or HIIT workout (or even yoga/pilates), and squeeze the LB/HIIT in between sets of, say, chest only in M3 (i.e., doing the LB/HIIT work during the rests and back work).
Does that sound totally insane? :eek:

Curious to hear what you settle upon!
Roz

I was just thinking of combining Burn Sets with RWH Low Impact HiiT workouts and also with Insanity Max 30 cardio workouts (using the modifier to keep low impact). I like the idea of doing only the leg weight sections from both with heavier weights. I just may have to give a whirl!

Denise

Roz - at the moment I've been simply adding in a Burn Set single body part, as and when it makes sense in the rotation - so, yes, I have been doing legs (lots and lots and lots in RWH!) When I come to do it as a proper rotation, I think I'll follow your plan of back, chest,bis, legs, shoulders, tris (NOT doing a Hiit before the legs w/o ;) ). Because I'd like a little more variation, I may do one week like that, and then the next week use the Circuit UB / LB workouts and one heavy leg day and a couple of total body days.....not really sure. I change my mind every time I think about it! At the moment, I don't need any more cardio, or high rep boring leg days, as I'm walking over 2 hours a day (dog training!)

Love your idea of 2 laptops! Doing a quick hiit interval during those Meso 3 rests? Great! I use on demand, and quite often I have 2 or 3 workouts open at once, and switch between - but it's usually more like a warm-up from one, lifting from another, Hiit from the third, and then a bit of yoga. And YES to more yoga. I'd love a few 15 min yoga routines from which to choose.

Denise - if you try the strength only leg workouts before I do, let me know what you think!

Can't wait for the online blender, so all this becomes soooo much easier! I hope we can share the workouts we create.

Justine,
I'm with you on needing weekly variation in my rotations. I've done a few recently that are mostly the same week-to-week, and I just get stir crazy way too fast. And what's the point of that?

I'm curious to try the HIIT in between the Meso 3 workouts, but I imagine doing flying angels or icebreakers would have some effect on ATP replenishment (or whatever process of re-equilibration is at work during those rests), even if you're hitting the lower body and resting the upper body. Not exactly active recovery -- more like hyper-active recovery! ;)

Once we get the new workout blender (or maybe even before), I may have to create a contrast training workout with Squat Rack Legs... the possibilities are endless! I'm also hoping that we all will be able to share our mash-ups (via workout manager perhaps, as we share rotations)?
SNM, if you're out there, is that in the plans?

Roz

Then again...apparently activating quads and glutes during an upper body workout stimulates growth hormones...
My poor legs are spent from all this plyo work. They don't want to bend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.