Can you help me pick out a good Heart Rate Monitor??

linlos

Cathlete
Do any of you have any recommendations for a good Heart Rate Monitor? Do you use one and if you like it, please tell me about it. I have never had one and really don't know what to look for. This forum is so Helpful and "an educated crowd"--- thanks!!

Linda

:) ;)

I have a Polar and love it. I don't remember the model number but I do know it calculates calories burned for that workout, which is a real motivator. I got mine about 2 years ago and it's still going strong. I think they have new models out now with more bells and whistles for the same price. I paid around $90 for mine.

HTH!!! :D

susan

I have a Polar also - the M52. I got mine off of ebay for $95 - it ususally retails for $170.00. I like it too - it's nice to be able to see how many calories you've burned.

Nike Heart Rate Triax Inspire!

I LOVE IT...and it has a watch and chronograph too!!

It's only $69.

"Nike HRM Triax Inspire Watch ECG Monitor ( Heart Rate Data ) Pulse Mode includes Heart Rate Display Average Heart Rate and Time in Target Zone Programmable Training Zone with Out of Zone Alert Exercise chronograph, Exercise Time Ergonomic Chest Transmitter Date Display / Alarm Nike Electrolite Anodized Stainless Steel Bezel PU Strap with Stainless Steel Buckle 50 Meter Water Resistant or 165 Feet"

Here's a link:

http://quemex.zoovy.com/product/SM0008_001

I bought mine at Galyan's sporting goods store. It's very nice looking and doubles as a watch and stop watch also which I love.

RE: Can you help me pick out a good Heart Rate Monitor?...

Hi Linda,

I have the Nashbar C12 from Bike Nashbar. It has the calories burned, time in training zone, etc. I purchased it because it was only $45.95+/- plus shipping. Couldn't beat the price and I never exercise without it. I think I'm addicted to the total calories burned :p feature. It allows you to enter your weight and resting heart rate so it is pretty accurate.

Just for giggles I checked out my consumer reports website. They have a one page review of HRM's, and I believe it is a free article. Go to www.consumerreports.org and type in Heart Rate Monitors on the search window. If that doesn't work, let me know and I will find a way to get the review to you. It suggested two, a Polar a3 and an Acumen Cardio Trainer, as the recommendations. They tested with an actual EKG machine to see if the HRM's were accurate in the heartbeats. Most were off significantly. Also, it concluded with these itmes being less accurate around electrical interferance, like televisions and electrical equipment, which kind of blows the whole workout at home scenario. I think it sounds like it is intended more for running, walking, biking.....that sort of thing. Hope this helps!

I just want to add that the Polar a3 has a subgrouping in the review that includes the one mentioned here in this thread. Good choice ladies! a1, a5, M51/M52 are all Polar. Even though these are second on the review, they would be my first choice due to the top performer having a comment about an especially heavy chest strap.

Thanx for the great suggestions!!
Dani, I am not a subscriber to Consumer Reports - so it wouldn't let me log onto that page.
Could you send me that page somehow to my email address, please.??
[email protected]

I really appreciate this so much. You are all so helpful !!

Linda:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.