Calorie Counting...Where to start?

CLD

Cathlete
Hi Cathe...or anyone else who can help me!!! :)

I just started counting my calories again to try to drop some pounds I've gained. Long story made short, 2008 wasn't really my "year" (as I'm sure it wasn't for many others!!) and I fell off the wagon for about 3/4 of the year. Eating healthy went out the door, cigarettes became a problem again, and exercising became pretty much nonexistent by the end of it....sigh!

However, my biggest stressors have pretty much resolved themselves now, and I'm slowly climbing back on the wagon. I quit smoking December 1st, but I also gained some weight with that...which is ok now that I'm a nonsmoker again!

So...I'm just trying to figure out a good calorie range to start with. Right now, I eat 1600 to 1800 per day and exercise 20 minutes to an hour 6 days per week (I've only been at this for about a week). Is this a good range to start with? I know I'll have to adjust how much I eat depending on how my body reacts, but I just want a basic idea of where to start. Everything I read seems to give me different advice! Also, I do try to follow the food pyramid, eat whole grains, low fat, high fiber, that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance to anybody who has any advice for me!! It's very much appreciated!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.