Bison Meat

Lynn M.

Cathlete
Hi there-

So, I went to farmer's market yesterday and saw that they sold Bison meat. I went ahead and purchased a couple of lbs of bison burger.

I made up some chili with it and I have to tell you that its really good.

Does anybody ever buy this and use it in lieu of regular red meat?

So far I've been really impressed with the burger and am curious to see if I can find some steaks.. Anybody ever eat the Bison steak? If so, do you cook it the same way as a regular piece of leaner steak?
( ie marinade or pound it etc)

The nutritionals are fabulous for this stuff, way less fat than regular beef and just as much protein and all of the good nutrients.

The only downside is cost... the bison burger was about $4.50/lb, but I think it might be worth it!! :)

Lynn M.

Yes, we eat bison and elk. We have a bison ranch locally and have had steaks. It has been awhile though, but I do know we enjoyed the steaks, roasts, etc. My tastes have changed... I blame it all on pregnancies... so it may not taste as good now as it did years ago.

We have a chest freezer stocked full of bison and elk. I don't care for any of it even though everyone says you can't tell the difference from ground beef. I cook up meals for DH (love that I can cook and not eat what I make - ha ha) using the meat and he loves it. We usually like marinate the steaks overnight.

I have not had steaks but I love bison burgers and bison in my chili. I wish it was a bit more available here in GA as it was when I was growing up CO but when I can find it and its not nutty expensive I like to have it.

Thats all we use. Haven't used beef in 6 years. There is virtually no fat in bison. I actually think you get more meat. We use it for burgers and tacos. Everything. I don't usually buy roasts and steaks because they are expensive to feed a family of 8, but we did get one once and you have to cook them quite a bit longer than regular roasts. We get our meat in bulk from a bison farm here. I'll never go back.

I hunt deer and have been given moose and elk meat before. Any natural "range" fed animal is going to be better than commercially raised cattle.

I've bought shares in cattle before, a farmer raises 10 or so cows and sells off the meat averaging the cost over the herd. the meat is so much better than "grocery store beef".

Its tough sometimes convincing the kids that my arrow was more humane than the slaughterhouse.

>Its tough sometimes convincing the kids that my arrow was more
>humane than the slaughterhouse.

Dave,
Do you really use arrows like "back in the day"?! Or do you use guns? As much as I dislike hunting, that's pretty cool if you use a bow and arrow. :)

Allison

We love bison meat as well, my wife makes a low-fat pizza casserole with bison instead of ground beef and it is great!! Doesn't have a "gamey" flavor to it.

There is a restuarant in Disney World called Artist Point which has a buffalo steak on their menu that is the best meal I have ever had at any restaurant!

Jerry

Hi all-

It sure is fun to hear that there are some bison lovers in Catheland!

In regard to those who eat the steaks, do you have to marinade them a bunch to get them tender? I've never had a bison steak, but I imagine bec. it is such a lean meat, that it would be similiar to a flank steak that needs to be marinaded or pounded before cooking. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the replies! Take care, Lynn

I sometimes get Buffalo steak medallions from my local grocery store, and grill them on my George Foreman grill, the only thing I add is my spice rub, no extra marinade needed, at least for me.

In addition, I like my steak rare-medium rare range. I friend of mine is owner-chef of the restaurant of the hotel I work at, he likes to say that if it's well done, then it becomes just another piece of meat.

Jerry

I used a gun earlier in my hunting career but moved to archery as it presented a greater challenge. There's nothing primitive about bowhunting today, my bow is pretty high tech as are the arrows I use.

Hunting isn't as bad as PETA makes it out to be. I'm more humane and eco friendly than the average grocery store shopper.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.