Best high rep?

vivbc

Cathlete
Hi all, what are your fav high rep/muscle endurance workouts? I am thinking of buying a few more during the BF sales, and looking for recommendations. Anything she sells, including Live.

I don’t know if it’s one of the best, but I have always liked “High Reps” from 2010. It
certainly is a high reps workout and I think lots of fun. If I remember correctly, I think
the Ripped with HIIT series was kind of on the high reps end as well. There is one
called Muscle Endurance from the Intensity series which is high rep also, and on the
same dvd, you get Bootcamp, which is cardio & weights. Both of these are older
workouts. hopefully others will offer ideas as well.

My favorites:
Muscle Endurance
Power Hour/Maximum Intensity Strength/Body Max (three different workouts, all contain weight segments, but the latter two also have cardio)
Muscle Max (one of my all time favorites)
Supersets/Push Pull (two workouts — both are superb; I use this one a lot)
Pyramid Lower + Upper
Body Max 2 (cardio and weights)
STS Total Body
Xtrain Burn Sets (very good — usually 12-16 reps, but only upper body)
Total Body Giant Sets

Of these, if I had to get rid of all but three, I’d keep Muscle Endurance, Muscle Max, and Supersets/Push Pull — but there’s not a “bad” workout in this bunch. They are all really useful and well done.

Last edited:
FlexTrain is great for high reps/metabolic. I would classify it as almost an PHA workout. And the original PHA workout is great, too (from Strong & Sweaty), but PHA 2 and PHA 3 are also great. Don’t know if those count as “high rep” since they are metabolic, but if they do, I might as well throw in High Step Training and High Step Challenge as well!

ETA: I love the new STS 2.0 series, but I’m partial to the “classics”. They are just as effective and just as high quality. You will find many of the same moves in the older DVDs as in the new ones, but of course in different combinations, with different pacing and different flavors thrown in. The music tracks on the older DVDs is fire, though. No comparison to the new videos. I did Low Impact Circuit yesterday and was dancing while I stepped.

Last edited:
I have a tendency to forget Flex Train, which is weird because I DO like it.
Low Impact Circuit is my favorite step workout (I do the premix). Love the music, love the moves. It is magic. I agree that the music was best before new copyright laws came in.

Just nodding my head on ALL of the above..the music on the older workouts help carry you through the critical 'grit' moments for sure!
Muscle max my all time fave! But so many goodies like xtrain burn sets, push pull, supersets, strong and sweaty giant sets, power hour, the list goes on!!
All the PHAs are an excellent way to throw a change of pace in with these.
(Looking forward to trying Flex train, Intensity and High reps )

Just did Pyramid Upper Body (from the Intensity Series) for the first time. I had looked at it for yearrrrs but finally pulled the trigger on buying it when I was rounding out missing DVDs I needed to complete the rest of the Hard Core, Intensity, and Body Blast series. It was a Daily Deal a couple weeks back and I couldn’t resist.

HOLY SMOKES. My armed are obliterated. I used the same weight as Cathe (sometimes higher for things like pullovers and triceps kickbacks) and wow. WOW. My arms are TORCHED.

This might be my new favorite DVD, though, because Cathe is just so stinking funny in it. We’re all grunting and making faces and that “SHHHHHEWWWWWWW” sound you have to make when you can’t get the weight up (or you’re pushing out a baby LOL) and she’s cracking jokes and suffering right along with us.

The abs portion is wonderful, and the stretch is delicious. I’m doing Pyramid Lower Body tomorrow.

Get this one!

Yowser- how I could forget the classic of classic Pyramids for endurance work! Love Cathe's face when doing biceps at the top of the pyramid!
YAH: It‘s all fun and games until you get to biceps! Of course it‘s the very last pyramid after you’ve already done the rest of arms and you’re good and fatigued. I started with a 10-12-15 pyramid and ended up with an 8-10-12 pyramid. I felt like such a wuss! LOL
I usually use 20#-25# for biceps curls or hammers. Picking up an 8# to finish the pyramid was bananas.

Be suspicious — very suspicious — when Cathe picks up a “light” weight for high reps. You know it’s gonna sting.

YAH: It‘s all fun and games until you get to biceps! Of course it‘s the very last pyramid after you’ve already done the rest of arms and you’re good and fatigued. I started with a 10-12-15 pyramid and ended up with an 8-10-12 pyramid. I felt like such a wuss! LOL
I usually use 20#-25# for biceps curls or hammers. Picking up an 8# to finish the pyramid was bananas.

Be suspicious — very suspicious — when Cathe picks up a “light” weight for high reps. You know it’s gonna sting.
I take it you had "an out-of-body experience" too?! :D

Today Xtrain Legs was on my calendar - endurance-based. Which got me thinking of other LB workouts: Lean Legs & Abs, Great Glutes, Butts& Guts, ICE To the Mat are endurance based also. Hmmm ... maybe BodyBlast's Legs & Glutes too. Of course all of Meso1 from the original STS. ETA: Oh yeah, LIS Tri- sets LB, aka "oh my butt!"!

I hope you're finding some bargains!

Last edited:
Today Xtrain Legs was on my calendar - endurance-based. Which got me thinking of other LB workouts: Lean Legs & Abs, Great Glutes, Butts& Guts, ICE To the Mat are endurance based also. Hmmm ... maybe BodyBlast's Legs & Glutes too. Of course all of Meso1 from the original STS.

I hope you're finding some bargains!
I know I’ve talked here about my love for Butts & Guts. It’s so good! I also have Xtrain Legs on my rotation tomorrow, but I haven’t done Pyramid Lower yet so I’m going to give that one a go (hints and “outer body experiences” welcome!). I also purchased KickMax, which I‘m doing for the first time later this week. It looks amazing. So much gold to be mined!

Take advantage of the Daily Deals, combined with the Black Friday Coupon or the regular SAVE coupons. I always end up with a ton of new workouts for peanuts. I’m starting to come to the end of my purchasing road, though. I completed my Hard Core, Intensity, and Body Blast Collections with some purchases two weeks ago. All I have left to purchase are some videos from the Shock Cardio series, a few one-off videos, and some classics, like Cross Train Xpress and Ab Hits (which I’m still not sure I’ll use). I don’t get along with HIIT or Tabata stuff, so … I’m pretty much done — until the next Big Thing comes out ;-)

..., and some classics, like Cross Train Xpress and Ab Hits ....
Besides the weight work from CTX, I enjoy the step work ... All Step, Step and Intervals and parts of Power Circuits. 10-10-10 has ~ 10 minutes of kickbox, 10 step and 10 hi-lo. I don't think the Kickbox workout is Cathe's best ...so if you don't care for step, I don't think you'll be missing out if you forego CTX. I used to use Ab Hits alot back in the day, but with newer workouts, I seldom reach for it anymore since they have soooo many crunches and variations - I think Cathe's newer core workouts are more effective.

Besides the weight work from CTX, I enjoy the step work ... All Step, Step and Intervals and parts of Power Circuits. 10-10-10 has ~ 10 minutes of kickbox, 10 step and 10 hi-lo. I don't think the Kickbox workout is Cathe's best ...so if you don't care for step, I don't think you'll be missing out if you forego CTX. I used to use Ab Hits alot back in the day, but with newer workouts, I seldom reach for it anymore since they have soooo many crunches and variations - I think Cathe's newer core workouts are more effective.
Thanks for the feedback! I love step and am not much of a kickboxing fan. BUT! I literally have every other step video except maybe the classic-classics (think: thongs and sponge-painted walls kinda “classic”). The price point on CTX is really the thing. I get that it’s two DVDs, but since I already have such a big collection… meh. (It *was* half off several days ago and I looked at it hard… but decided against it.)

CoreMax was one of the DVDs I just got. Between that and alllllll the other core workouts I have, I really don’t see myself buying Ab Hits.

My issue right now is creating rotations! :D

..., but I haven’t done Pyramid Lower yet so I’m going to give that one a go (hints and “outer body experiences” welcome!)....
I don't think the LB Pyramid is as tough as the UB Pyramid - the Pyramid part is only about 30 minutes. You'll be surprised when it's time to use the stability ball. I suggest you use dumbells for the step-ups - that barbell can be a little unstable with all those fast reps (at least for me). And my step isn't as high... And the heart-rate can really climb, so be ready for a pause. And, have fun! :)

Thanks for the feedback! I love step and am not much of a kickboxing fan. BUT! I literally have every other step video except maybe the classic-classics (think: thongs and sponge-painted walls kinda “classic”).
I really enjoy those classic step workouts. I originally had them on VHS, but bought the DVDs a few years back during the Black Friday sales. If you can get past the thongs and the sponge-walls & fake fireplace of the old CIA set-ups, they're a lot of fun! I seldom watch the screen, I just listen for Cathe's cuing - she was really good at the cuing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.