Baby Names.....

I have always had a fascination with names-way before I ever had kids. When I was younger I loved the names Audrey, Katherine, Ava(had an obsession with classic films, too:)) When I was pregnant with my first, my husband and I decided on using ethnic names for our kids-I'm 100% Serb-but ones that sounded strong, feminine, and not too out there-just like you Lorrie. DD#1's name is my grandma's name-Danica Grace-it's pronounced DAH-nee-tsa, not DAN-i-ka, which gives her some grief at school, especially since the arrival of Danica Patrick, but at least people are starting to recognize it. It means "morning star." DD#2's name is Milla Rae. It's pronounced Mee-la. Her name means "beloved." And DD#3 is Nevena Leigh. It means "marigold" and is pronounced NEV-eh-na. She goes by Neve, too. They all got one syllable English middle names to use, if they ever wanted. Maggie, I love the name Magdalena and wanted to use it with our third, but my sister-in law was planning on naming her daughter LENE(LAY-na) so we passed. I love reading all the beautiful names people choose. Whatever name you decide on will be perfect for your little one-because you love it and him/her!

Take care,
Klaudia

Audrey is my daughter's name(Audrey Claire). She'll be 17. Once in awhile, I'll run into a younger Audrey, but rarely. And only once in my 20 yrs. working L&D, did I have a patient actually name her baby Audrey.

Ava is getting more popular. My friend has a 13 yr. old named Ava and she's starting to babysit a lot of little Ava's!
Valerie

obrn- my 5 yo is named Audrey. We rarely meet others, but I did see an infant Audrey baptised at church this weekend.

Klaudia- your girls have beautiful names. You chose very well. We were at a NYE party with a bunch of folks who grew up in Zagreb and their kids all had the coolest names. My favorite was Toma (Tomaslav?).

Hey Kristan,

Thanks so much! There are definitely some cool, unusual Slavic names out there. I love Elena, Sasha, Luca, Mattea, Marko, Kristian (my brother's name). I could go on. I was lucky when I started having kids-it was out of fashion in the Serb community to give ethnic names so I had a lot of names to choose from without the market being saturated, so to speak. Although our priest did tell me that he christened 8 other Millas the year mine was born! Luckily, the community is big enough that they all don't run into each other too often. And there's actually another Danica at my DD's school-go figure! I never knew another Klaudia when I was growing up and I don't think it's that unusual a name. Lucky me-everyone knows who I am cause I'm the only Klaudia around-ha!

Wow, am I long winded or what?! Sorry lorren!

Take care,
Klaudia

No problem Klaudia! I love seeing all the new names too-i have always thought Sasha was a neat name-is that more boy or girl?

We just found out we're having a boy, but for a girl we had these names picked out:

Taylor or
Lyric

:)
Middle name would have been Elaine.

This has been a fascinating thread. I love reading everyone else's baby names and ideas for future ones.

Ultimately, everyone gets used to the names we name them anyway, so just decide and do it and know that in a year no one will trouble you anymore. Actually, I've found that as soon as the baby is born and we tell the name--no more comments. The comments only come when the baby is in utero.

Why? oh why? are we pregnant ladies so vulnerable to comments of every ilk that no one else would have to put up with? (baby names, our weight gain, our belly size, our workout habits, what we are eating or not eating, our labor and delivery choices, etc....)

but that's a whole 'nother thread.

Maggie:)

Lorren & Ladies,

Do you like the name Delaney for a girl? I only know one. She is
12 now. My nieces are Caroline and Alexandra. I agree this is
a fascinating thread!!

Maggie, you are so right. The kids become their names!! The name
that I wanted was Kerin but no one really liked it. My sister
was pronouncing as Karen, and others thought the R may look like
a V and she could ne called Kevin in grade school. I guess if I
learned anything it is do not over think this too much. But its
my personality I suppose.
We agreed two was all we were having but if we had another
daughter I would name her Kerin.

It's kind of a gender neutral name. My cousin's given name is Aleksandra, but we've always called her Sasha. I think Russians use it as a nickname for Alexander, too. My male neighbor, who happens to be Serbian, has the given name Sasha. I like it for both boy and girl.

Klaudia

Wow... having a great time with this thread, too!

DF and I are going through the name-picking process, as well, and we have Sasha picked out for a girl, but are having a difficult time choosing a middle name. I would have loved Sasha Cristina, but Cristina is DF'S ex-wife's name and we can't have that! ;-)

Over the weekend, I made the poor choice of telling my family that Caleb Elijah was a "possible" boy name and they were all naysayers. The problem is I'm Dominican so it doesn't translate as nicely in Spanish... but still!! I can't find anything that I like better for a boy!

Congratulations!!!!!!

So glad to hear it! You and baby both doing well?
What a nice name!

DH and I could NOT agree on a boy name - good thing we found out it's a girl!:7

Kate-congrats on the girl!!

Me and Riley are doing great-hes 2 weeks old today-so far he has been my easiest baby-which is nice being the 3rd.I love the newborn stage,they are so snuggly!!:)

Please send some easy-baby vibes my way!!!!
DH is already saying that when she comes "it's all you!" to get up with her! LOL!
Honestly it has always been "all me" because of nursing, but on those really awful nights I would wake him up to take the baby out for a 2AM drive to calm her down. Then I just pretend to be asleep when they get back! hahahaha!:7 :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.