Arc Trainer?

NinjaMom

Cathlete
Does anyone here have an Arc Trainer? If so, how does it compare to an elliptical in terms of intensity? Sadly, I have been diagnosed with moderately severe arthritis in my right hip and had to hang up my running shoes. High impact seems to aggravate it so I'm spending more time on my spin bike and doing low impact workouts. I'm worried that this is going to affect my cardio capacity so I'm looking for the most intense low impact workouts I can find. I have an Octane elliptical but am looking for a greater challenge. My physical therapist mentioned an Arc Trainer and I'm intrigued. I read on Runners World that many prefer the trainer for cross-training as it is very intense and mimics running uphill much better than an elliptical. Can anyone attest to that?

Thanks!

Judi,

You are not alone. I was recently diagnosed with moderate to server arthritis in my left hip. I've never heard of an Arc Trainer. Might have to check into that. I don't run but I love step and I dont' do nearly as much step as I used to and I miss it.

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone else replies.

Brenda

I love the Arc Trainer. I use it the Cybex Arc Trainer at my gym. It is my go-to piece of equipment when I'm dealing with injuries. (I've used it when I've been having hip flexor issues, knee pain, or feet issues.) I personally do find the Arc Trainer to be more intense than the elliptical. Also, I think it provides a better variety in terms of the workouts you can do. You can do anything from climbing a steep hill at high resistance to sprinting on a flatter surface at low resistance. I burn calories like crazy on the Arc.

The only bummer is I've never seen an affordable at-home version. Maybe my standards are too high, but I have never found one in a price range that is justifiable.

HTH somewhat! :p

Thanks for your replies!

@ Brenda- I can so relate!! There wasn't a Cathe workout I couldn't do and the higher the impact the better. There is nothing worse than being forced to give up something you love and now must look at my huge DVD collection knowing that I may never be able to do some of them again...it makes me want to cry:(

I will have to get a day pass at the gym to try out the Arc Trainer but if I like it, I'm willing to buy one as my cardio options are becoming limited.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.