Anyone living in Atlanta area?

DeborahG

Cathlete
It looks like I may be relocating to Atlanta in a few months, and I am not that familiar with it. If anyone is, I wondered if you could tell me whether I'm on the right path. I'm looking at the East Cobb area because it seems to have good public schools and doesn't seem too miserably far from downtown (should I ever land a job there). Are those correct assumptions? My husband is more inclined toward a planned community (Brookstone) in North West Cobb. Anyone heard of it? It sounds way too far from the city for me, given that I'd like to eventually find a new job. Is that a fair assessment? Also, I'm not as sure about the schools there.

Any input? Anyone?

Thanks!

Deborah

Atlanta

Hi Deborah,

I just wanted to say "GOOD LUCK" with your move!!

This has nothing to do with information about "East Cobb" but my friend moved to Ballground, GA (north of Atlanta) last year from Michigan and works on the south side. It "should" take her about 35-40 min. to get to work; every day she sits in traffic for about 1-1 1/2 hours! Be forewarned about driving in Atlanta! lol She does like the weather so much better!

I was wondering where are you moving from?

I just tried calling my friend to ask her about the areas you mentioned but she didn't answer. I'm sure someone else on the forum will know and can assist you!!

Patti

I have a house in East Cobb, would love to sell it. I worked 12 miles away near 285 and Peachtree Dunwoody Rd. and it would take me 45 min. in rush hour. GA-400 freeway is a parking lot during rush hour and every day I traveled it and made it home without an accident I felt blessed. 285 and 575 are not much better. Go to wsbtv.com and click on the traffic cams during rush hour and you will see what you are in for.

No matter where you go - up 575 or up 400 or up 75, your travel downtown will be miserable if you are going during rush hour.

The schools in East Cobb were great. My kids went to Tritt Elementary, High Tower Middle school and Pope H.S. Be very careful going into a planned community because their homeowner associations are just a pain to deal with and the covenants on your property will be restricting.

Good Luck !

Hi Deborah!

I'm in Kennesaw (Northwest Cobb) but I'm a little south of the Brookstone subdivision. I work downtown. I start work at 9:30 and usually have anywhere between 30 minutes to 1 hour commute. Days when school's out are much easier. For instance, today was only 30 minutes. Acworth is a little farther north so you will have a bit more of a commute. Try and find a house that's closer to the interstate. It will make your commute easier. I am in a subdivision. We just recently got a property manager to handle things for our subdivision. Each subdivision will have different covenants and rules on what you can and cannot do so I would suggest you try and get a copy of them before you sign on the dotted line. Even though we are in a homeowner's association, we have had a few problems with people who rent out their homes and we are trying to put new language in our covenants to prevent that in the future.

This was a very helpful website when I was planning my move:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/

I come from NY and I heard all the horror stories about traffic but my commute here is actually shorter than in NY.

If you need a realtor, you can PM me and I'll give you the info. My realtor was very helpful with our move.

Marcy

I live in Paulding county. I think you're on the right path. The schools are good in E. Cobb. That area can be expensive though. Whereever you're thinking of moving into call the homeowners associate for specifics. Ask about a community blog cause that's where you'll get a lot of good information about the subdivision's from.

Good luck

Hi Deborah,

I live in Marietta, West Cobb. My home sits in the middle of Kennesaw National Battlefield Park. I walk out my door and can walk to a trail head and have 16 miles of paths to play in. Our daughter went to Marietta High School and got a great education because she was in the IB program. Marietta High School is probably more culturaly divers than the High Schools in East Cobb. I do hear great things about East Cobb schools. I just finished grand jury duty and can tell you that Cobb County is well run. The county is not running a deficit like many counties are in the area. They have an excellent police and fire protection, in short they have their stuff together. My home is custom and not associated with any housing development; therefore, I don't have to deal with extra regulations or fees, its perfect. My husband works for Delta and says the commute from our front door to the parking lot is 35 minutes on non-peak hours and 50 minutes during peak hours. I'm a transplant to the south and resisted it, but have found the people to be as warm and pleasent as the weather. I know you will enjoy it here.

Welcome!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.