Anyone live in TN

firemedic

Cathlete
My husband and I are really considering moving from SW FL to TN. We are considering only 2 areas, Cookeville or NE (Johnson City, Kingsport area). What I was wondering is if anyone lives in or near these areas, what's it like? I'm not as concerned about weather, but how easy is it to go places (stores)? Are roads pretty easy to navigate? Is there always a lot of traffic? Short cuts to places? Anything like that. My parents in in the NE TN and I went there a few times, but it was 17+ yrs ago and only for a week at a time, so couldn't really get a feel for the place. I did love what I saw but living there is different than visiting. Any insights would be great.

Thanks
Kim

They are pretty different even though both are smaller college towns.
Johnson City is fairly remote and more rural in feel. Definitely a slower pace lifestyle. Eastern time zone. It's not necessarily direct paths to shopping areas. It wasn't very well planned and limited in shopping options. Your closest access to larger shopping is Bristol or Asheville, NC or Sevierville. The access on ramps to the interstate can be... exciting? The area has gorgeous views and can see some chilly winters. Opportunities for homes with land or room are better here. Not busy traffic as I consider Murfreesboro and Nashville the busy traffic threshold.

Cookeville is small but more urban. Central time zone. It has several concentrated shopping areas near interstate with larger stores/more well known chains, charming downtown areas with boutiques and independent restaurants. Cookeville is very easy to navigate. Nice options for shopping and restaurants but also close to Nashville for larger selection. It is busy traffic compared to most small towns and will get busier because of it's proximity to Nashville. Chance of house with land or space much harder to find.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for that info. My husband is going to go look at each place but also make sure is allergies aren't too bad up there. If they are, then we cannot leave FL because he cannot take allergy shots.

I'm originally from Nashville. Loved living there but don't know it anymore...it has definitely become denser and more expensive.

I would suggest before any big move renting a house for a month or more to see how you like it without selling your house or the expense of moving. If dollars are tight try a 2 week AirBnb for a couple of seasonal visits. Also, if you are getting older don't forget to review medical accessibility. Johnson City has a strong rural medical presence. Cookeville is an hour from multiple urban hospitals in Nashville. I note this because I have a mother-in-law in NW Florida and finding/keeping an internal medicine doctor and engaging with paid caregivers has been almost impossible.

I have a brother that moved from Atlanta Ga to just outside Knoxville when he retired in 2014. He loves it. The cost of real estate allowed him to buy (same size) newer house and lower real estate taxes. He was looking for quieter and laid back living.

I'm originally from Nashville. Loved living there but don't know it anymore...it has definitely become denser and more expensive.

I would suggest before any big move renting a house for a month or more to see how you like it without selling your house or the expense of moving. If dollars are tight try a 2 week AirBnb for a couple of seasonal visits. Also, if you are getting older don't forget to review medical accessibility. Johnson City has a strong rural medical presence. Cookeville is an hour from multiple urban hospitals in Nashville. I note this because I have a mother-in-law in NW Florida and finding/keeping an internal medicine doctor and engaging with paid caregivers has been almost impossible.

I have a brother that moved from Atlanta Ga to just outside Knoxville when he retired in 2014. He loves it. The cost of real estate allowed him to buy (same size) newer house and lower real estate taxes. He was looking for quieter and laid back living.
Thanks for that. I did look into the cost of healthcare right now and it is a lot more out of pocket expenses than what I have in FL right now. That is making us rethink the move until my husband turns 65. I'm only going to be 50 in Aug. and he will be 61 in Sept. so that give us time to really think about the move. Thanks for all the input, it was very helpful. I'm leaning towards NE TN and he is thinking more Cookeville, so we still have lots to consider.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.