anyone live in the burlington, vt area?

2tina72382

Cathlete
Hubby and I are thinking of relocating (we are in NY- the hudson valley) while we are young and can without kiddies :)

We are thinking of the Burlington area, because we really like the fresh outdoors and quiet countrysides. What do you think about living there, as far as jobs and quality of life?

Thanks in advance!!! -Tina

My husband lived there before we met for 20 years. We visit a lot and I just love it. Church Street is one big open mall. There are walking trails all over. The waterfront has many good restaurants and another area for walking. A ferry takes you from Burlington across Lake Champlain.I think UVM has a large campus there. I have never been there in a snowstorm.

I live in central Vermont about 2 hours from Burlington. DH and I love Burlington and go every chance we get. If we had been to Burlington before we bought our home, we may have bought up there instead. I think you will love it.

Buffy

Hi Tina,

I live about an hour south of Burlington, and while I can't comment on what it's like to live there, I do agree that the downtown/Church street/waterfront area is very cool.

Tina,

Hello, fellow Hudson Valley! I too live in the Hudson Valley and I am in sales and go to Burlington VT all the time for business to visit clients. Everytime I am up there I keep telling myself I need to buy a second home there. What occupations do you and your husband do? Depending where you work you may find the wages lower than the greater NY / NJ area.

Therese:)

I live in the White River Junction area of VT. Burlington is a very nice city, not too big, but cosmopolitan enough to have culture.

I couldn't even begin to comment about the career opportunities there.

Always being a pragmatist, I would suggest one of you lands a job first before you move.

I would also suggest you start reading the Burlington Free Press to get a feel for jobs, real estate etc etc.

Thanks, Therese for commenting! I am a highschool science teacher and my husband works remotely for IBM. So we can basically move around wherever. I don't currently know if I'm going to stay in teaching, but I do have a masters degree and I think I could find some work between the colleges and my spinning/personal training certifications.

What do you think? Thanks! -Tina

Dave, thanks for replying. I would defintely get a job first, of course :) I have been checking the free press and will continue to do so. It seems housing is about the same price as here in NY. Around 300-400 thousand for a middle of the road 2000 sq ft house.

Thanks! -Tina

Hi Tina,

As I sure that you already know there are a few good colleges in VT if you stay in that career. And you know what they say about IBM'ers
I BEEN MOVED:+ But if he is remote well that makes life easier. My suggestions would be to make a couple of trips to different spots in VT. I am partial to Burlington. Love the area, restaurants, people.
Good luck! If you don't mind me asking what school district do you teach in? I live in the Newburgh/Montgomery area.

ah yea, I grew up in Washingtonville, and I teach at Spackenkill (small district outside of Poughkeepsie.

thanks for the advice!

I live in NY, but my father is from the Burlington area. Alot of family still live there and surrounding areas (Middlebury).
We visit there quite abit. It is a great area and a good family area. Besides the beautiful landscape, like others have said, Church street is fun, and lots of good restaurants.

I love visiting there, all seasons, but, for me, visiting is good enough. Maybe cause family live there (sometimes to stay close to family you need to not live too close to them....he..he..he). It's just a little too "hippy-ish" for me...sorry for those that live there....OBVIOUSLY, NOT everyone is a hippie.:)

ALicia:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.