Anyone have a recipe...

Mocha

Cathlete
for healthy granola/ energy/ breakfast bars? I'd like something I can grab on my way out the door for breakfast. Most of what I'm finding on the internet is full of sugar! TIA for any recipes! :)

Here's a great, super-fast and super-easy recipe I use constantly (modified from Ina Garten). You can modify yourself accordingly.

4 cups oatmeal (NOT quick-cook)
2 cups nuts of choice (I use 1 cup whole almonds, 1 cup sliced almonds)
3/4 cup canola oil (I usually use a little less)
1/2 cup honey
spices, to taste (cinammon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, etc.)

Toss dry ingredients in a bowl. Add oil and honey. Toss to coat. Spread on non-stick cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden. Stir once halfway through baking. *Keep an eye on it as you approach 20 minutes, as it will turn from golden to over-done quickly.

Remove from oven, stir once (to prvent sticking and darkening on the bottom) and allow to cool.

Toss with dried fruit of your choice (I like dried cranberries and sometimes dried blueberries). Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

YUMMY!!!

Do these press into bars? And can you cut out the oil and maybe use something as a substitute like natural peanut butter? Just curious...

Here is a healthy Granola(not a bar) recipe I got from someone on the Beachbody forum. I think her name was Anne. I've made it and it's very good.

Granola
This is a high energy mix. A serving is 1/3-1/2 cup. 134 calories, 4 grams protein, 3 grams fat.

4 cups old-fashioned oats
2 cups rolled wheat ( I use a 5 grain rolled mix)
1 cup unprocessed oat or wheat bran (if I don't have this, I put in a little more oatmeal)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2-1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1-2 cups slivered almonds
1 12-ounce can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed (I used Old Orchard brand...it's 100% juice. Now I used mostly the Apple/Raspberry blend..)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup chopped dried apples or other dried fruits

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix apple juice concentrate and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients and stir until well mixed. Spread mixture on a large baking sheet. Bake in a 200 degree oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until golden and almost dry. For chunky granola, do not stir during baking. When cool, break into bite size pieces and add dried fruit. Store in an airtight container. Serve on yogurt or as a cold cereal.

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sports/barbell.gif [font face="script" color=magenta size=+3]*~Dallys~*[/font]

www.picturetrail.com/keeponthesunnyside

I'm sure you could get it to press into bars by adding in some peanut butter - I've never tried. Sounds good, though. Swap out the oil for the peanut butter and that should work. I may try that myself. I've also added wheat germ to it - although I recommend adding it if you're doing bars, as when you do it loose granola style, and bake it, it tends to get overdone.
Also - try the Food Network - look up Healthy Eating with Elie Kreiger. She had a good looking recipe for a granola bar and her focus is healthful, lowfat foods. I've never made it, however. (although this may prompt me to try it)

Here's the link:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_33623,00.html

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.