Any advice for this new 60 minute one way commuter.....

gonnabea5

Cathlete
My new job requires a 40-70 minute commute each work day. And on top of that, I am at my desk for the majority of the day. Give me your best commuter advice please.

I already
* workout 30 minutes in the am
* walk 6-10 minutes every hour (shooting for 10,000 steps a day)
* eat sensibly throughout the day
* kept check of my posture at the desk
* upping my water intake to a gallon a day

Does anyone have any other advice. Thanks in advance!

It looks like you are on the right track. A few other suggestions would be

-to park as far away as you can from the office
-always take stairs if possible
-marching your feet up and down while sitting to get the blood moving in lower legs
-glute sqeezes while sitting
-pack healthy snacks and meals to avoid eating out
-definitely Justine's suggestion of audio books

Take care and congrats on the new job!

You are on the right track!! :) Be sure to deeply stretch your psoas on a regularly basis (the sitting .....I have similar issues) & warm up nicely before all workouts to avoid injury.
I am not sure how you commute. I commute standing on a train for 65+ minutes and I cut out my own shoe inserts from those anti-fatigue mats that you find at hardware stores to help out my back & hips.
Eat a complete breakfast!

Best of luck.

My sciatic nerve is inflamed from all the sitting (in the car and at desk), and I'm not hitting my daily calorie burn according to fitbit. I will overcome these things!!!!!!! . I might look into getting a pedal bike for under the desk. I know a stand up desk wont work.

Yall are the best. Thanks so much@

Aww, Shereta ....that pain is terrible! I ordered one of these cushions as I am having ongoing issues with my tailbone & iliopsoas bursitis (I think mainly from being a desk jockey far too long). I will let you how it goes! https://www.amazon.ca/XH-rebound-me...e_p_img_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=WV3WJ0S4WKHGAGZGP6RR
I keep a small ball (not too hard) with me to use up against the wall to massage out the tightness & pain. It does really help, especially when it's numb all down your leg.

Thanks everyone. Doc said using the heat, naproxen and walking every hour is good on top of keeping the 30 am workout and trying to do core and back and often as possible will help as well. I'm feeling very positive. I love my job and I don't mind the commute. I've just got to keep doing everything else to stay healthy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.