Another shoe question

Mocha

Cathlete
Is it a bad idea to do Cathe videos in running shoes? These are what I usually use, because I have them. In the past, I haven't worried too much about what shoes I use because I do the step videos so infrequently... they are usually a back-up option, a substitute for biking or running during bad weather, or for swimming when the pool is closed. But lately, I have been thinking of making step workouts more of a staple, and I want to know if I will need to buy new shoes.

And if I do need new shoes, do I need a special pair? For example, when I shop for running shoes, I always have to specify to the salesperson that I overpronate and need the special stability shoes. Does anything like that apply when shopping for cross trainers?

Thanks in advance for any inupt!:D

Athletic footwear has changed so much over the years. I remember about 2-3 years ago that I used running shoes to do Cathe. Oh my gosh it was awful and especially uncomfortable in the arches of my feet. I don't know why, but it was. I learned to get crosstrainers after that. The last Nikes I got were rated in terms of cushioning (they have three levels now) and stability (also three levels). I got ones with the maximum level of cushioning and level 2 of stability (stable in the front and back but mostly stable from side to side).

I always tell the salesperson that I'm an outpronator and that I need cushioning because I do high impact activities. If the salesperson is experienced he/she will be able to find the right shoe for you.

Yes, you really should get a pair of cross-trainers as the motions done in the step/k'boxing workouts are quite different from running and you could risk injury.

Cathy :)

The technical answer is basically what everyone said. The reason, though is that running shoes are designed for a heel-toe movement and have stabilization to help prevent a side-to-side motion when you run, which would be a bad thing for a runner. Cross trainers remove that side-to-side stabilization and are designed to help with lateral movement as well as front back (not necessarily striking the ground with your heel as you do when you run).

A running shoe, when used for kick boxing or step can prevent or inhibit the lateral motion and can actually injure your knees or hips or lower back - depending how how you hit the ground and what you were trying to do. In step and especially Cathe's, there is a lot of pivoting, which would leave you really vulnerable to injury.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.