Am I really stronger than I think?

jengollf

Cathlete
I am starting STS April 1 and I started my 1RM testing. Since I am not really counting doing 1RM testing it as a "workout" I went much heavier than I thought I could lift for any major amount of reps. I only need a # of reps between 1 and 20, right, to input into the calculator--so if I can only do 3 reps with good form, that works. First, I could do a lot more reps than I thought I could at these heavier weights. Second, when I went to have a look at one of the workout cards (for workout #1 and #2 in fact), all I could think was WTC? Really? I'm supposed to do 21 back rows with a 71 pound barbell? REALLY?

This leads me to so many questions and thoughts. The first being, sure, I could lift that much in an isolated moment, but am I really going to be able to lift that much in the middle of a workout? Doesn't muscle exhaustion from all of the exercises that come before it change things?

The other thing is, I really thought I knew my strength. Looking at what the workout cards say I can do for biceps and triceps is pretty much in line with what I thought I could do, but the back, shoulders and lower body? That 1RM calculator seems to think I am stronger than I actually think I am. I haven't done any chest 1RM yet.

Anyway, I was initially excited about STS, but now I am getting a little bit scared.... I now have these feeling of dread for the excruciating DOMS I foresee.... Xtrain has given me some pretty serious DOMS, and on Burnsets I am always lifting to failure, so I felt like I knew what I could lift.

I don't know what to think anymore, but I guess that is the reason why it is important to do the 1RM testing maybe? Because we really are stronger than we think?

Hi Jen,
I had similar results. My 1 rep max for certain exercises was heavier than what I could actually lift during a workout. I eneded up not completing the tests for xtrain because of this.

I do think we are stronger than we think we are. For me, I think if I worked out with a trainer, I may lift heavier because I would have someone spotting me and pointing out my form issues.

I say go with your 1 rep max and adjust if you feel like your form is suffering. Of course you already know this, sorry to sound preachy, I am just your average home exerciser plodding along.

Good luck with STS. I am just at week 6 on xtrain.

Melissa

I was wondering he same thing. I just started to complete the 1RM for STS and I was surprised what I could do. I did wonder what an entire hour trying to do that would feel like. I guess time will tell.

jengollf ... don't worry about the numbers, they are numbers. If you plant the seed of doubt it grows, you are *stronger* then you think you are and that will become evident when you do the Queen of all workouts. STS!!! This program rules, there is nothing out there like it (for me) including Tony's stuff and Bodybeast (comes a knocking but falls short).

You can always change numbers and lo...if you don't want to complete all the one-reps you can estimate and then consistently change them with each workout, mark them down and change them for the next workout. Its really easier then it appears, you just have to learn how to manipulate the workout manager and calendar.

Rock on woman!

Jengollf -

I had the same thoughts when I did my 1rm testing. For the first few workouts I had to adjust my some of weighs, because I could either lift more or less than suggested. Most of the weights were spot on, but some were off. It bothered me at first, because I felt like I was doing something wrong, but then I learned that this is how it is for most of us. I think the 1rm gives you an idea of your capability so that you push yourself, but if it doesn't feel right in the moment, definitely adjust. FYI, you can put these adjustments (the weight and reps you could actually manage) into the workout mgr so that your future workout cards will be more accurate.

And you ARE stronger than you think you are, and STS will show you that. You'll definitely be lifting more than 71 lbs on your rows by the end. :). Oh, I should add that if you're used to doing your rows with dumbbells, you can usually lift heavier with a barbell, which may explain why, if you don't use a 35 LB dumbell for rows, you might still be able to row 70 LB with a barbell.

Best of luck to you...let us know how it goes!

Jengollf -

I had the same thoughts when I did my 1rm testing. For the first few workouts I had to adjust my some of weighs, because I could either lift more or less than suggested. Most of the weights were spot on, but some were off. It bothered me at first, because I felt like I was doing something wrong, but then I learned that this is how it is for most of us. I think the 1rm gives you an idea of your capability so that you push yourself, but if it doesn't feel right in the moment, definitely adjust. FYI, you can put these adjustments (the weight and reps you could actually manage) into the workout mgr so that your future workout cards will be more accurate.

And you ARE stronger than you think you are, and STS will show you that. You'll definitely be lifting more than 71 lbs on your rows by the end. :). Oh, I should add that if you're used to doing your rows with dumbbells, you can usually lift heavier with a barbell, which may explain why, if you don't use a 35 LB dumbell for rows, you might still be able to row 70 LB with a barbell.

Best of luck to you...let us know how it goes!

You know, that actually occurred to me at some point yesterday after I posted this. I am using 35 pound dumbbells for my one arm back rows in Burnsets, so I am lifting 70 pounds for back row--sort of. BUT, the thing that scared me is that I am definitely reaching failure in that third set by 10 reps--how that crap will I be able to do 21 reps? But I am going to go with it! I am going to assume I am going to get the best workouts of my life by doing them this way.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I am just going to go with it and see what happens. I have some DOMS today in my lower body just from 1RM testing! Ha! I expect much worse from the actual workouts. But it will be a good thing, because I will really be pushing myself to my limit--which I thought I had been doing all along!

BUT, the thing that scared me is that I am definitely reaching failure in that third set by 10 reps--how that crap will I be able to do 21 reps?

I'm doing STS for the first time and just finished Meso 2. The workouts where there are 21 reps for back rows are not as bad because (at least in Meso 1) Cathe does 7 reps then you stand up rest a second or 2, then do 7 more stand up rest a second or 2, then 7 more to make 21 reps.

BTW loving STS :D

1 Rm spot on or off

Hi Jen,

In my case , just as it was posted above, most were spot on but some were definitely off. Also I did , in the beginning take easy on new moves because naturally I had to find my way/technique around them :confused:

You will be fine--- You are not *scared* yet lol, you wait till the end on Meso 3 when you realise have gained strength. You will feel like the female terminator Linda Hamilton lol,

Last week of Meso while doing deadlift, my workout card was listing 31kg/68 pounds. I just had a feeling it was too light. I paused few second took a decision to lift heavier 37.5kg/83 pounds. In all honesty I was fine and my form did not suffer. At the end of the day what is the point of working hard if we are not gaining strength from it ;-)

I have to confess now push up feels so great . I now can state I love them---Love the feeling I get when it pumps my chest:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As to your 1RM it's just a number. The feeling you get after attempting is what matter. if it feels right and your form does not get compromised---Go for it :p

All the very best Jen and keep us posted,

You will love STS at least as much as I do:cool:

Another thing to take into account: I don't know about Cathe's calculator in particular, but 1-rep max calculators are typically calibrated for men. However, due to differences in how men and women are able to recruit muscle fibers, women can often lift more of their 1-rep max for higher reps than men. So a 1-rep max calculator will tend to overestimate for women. Different muscle groups behave differently, so as people pointed out, one will likely be more accurate than another, but still, it's something to keep in mind.

I found that sometimes the one rep max was too high and sometimes too low. It seemed really dependent on the order of exercises in the workout. Keep in mind that some of these numbers will decrease if the exercise is towards the end of the STS workout because the muscles are already fatigued. My best advice is to stick with what the value recommended and then adjust the weights accordingly.

Hi Jen!
I think you're going to give STS a run for its money!!!!;)
You have the energy and enthusiasm for this challenge!
I have to admit that there were many times I could not do all the reps (especially on those 21s!!!):eek:, but my strength increases were much more than I expected! I enjoyed the variety and structure of the program...it helped me realize that I can do a lot more than I thought I was capable of doing! Yes, you ARE stronger than you think!!!
GO GET 'EM!!!!!!:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.