Alternative step?

Brit-Josie

Cathlete
I have a reebok step which I only purchased recently.... and now I've just purchased the BB Timesaver and Terminator dvds....when they arrive, will it be ok to still use my reebok step? I know Cathe recommends the larger club style step, just that my DH would go crazy if I went out and purchased a new step!

Also, what are other UK Cathe fans doing in place of using the high step since we can't purchase it here? Can I just put the reebok step up to its max? (which I think is about 12 inches)

Thanks
Josie

I think the reebok step should be fine if it is the one I am thinking of where it is 2 levels. For step ups you can use a chair. Before I had the high step I use a wooden foot stool that was about 16 inches high which was to high for me but I manage. I've heard people using a rubbermaid box but not sure what kind it was.

I have almost all of Cathe's videos and I use a Reebok step with no problem. As for the high step, I think Reebok only goes up to 10 inches max. You might want to try using a step stool (like mentioned above) but be careful that it is sturdy enough to support you along with extra weight on your back. Also, if your TV is near a stairway, you could try using your own stairs (go up two levels instead of one). I did this until I ordered my high step and it worked pretty well. Happy stepping!

Alison

Thanks for that...I'll just have to see what I can sort out.

Actually, I do have another question: do you have to use a barbell with these workouts, or can you improvise with dumbells? I only have 3 sets of dumbells right now cluttering up my living room floor and the thought of buying more stuff doesn't appeal just for the moment!

Thanks again.

Actually a lot of people like just using all dumbells but I like to use both. What ever you have is perfect. I know what you mean about clutters. I have everything and it is all in different rooms. I keep my step, High Step and mat in my son's closet. All of my dumbells are under my wood stool along with my plates and my bar is under the couch. I keep my stability ball in the basement.

For a long time, I just used my original step without the extra risers as my "high step". It was just 8 inches, but if you REALLY squat low as you touch your foot to the ground, you can still target your glutes nicely. I finally bought extra risers last year and love it, though. I did get the high step for Christmas, so I'm excited about that :D.

I also have been using dumbells exclusively for Cathe's workouts, and I have had no problems. There are a few chest and tricep exercises that would be better with a barbell, but they can be done effectively without. I got a Troy Lite barbell for Christmas and will start working out with it, but probably not always.

I hope that helps. I think any of Cathe's workouts can be modified to suit what you have. I have just become spoiled and need to have everything that she uses :D

Sara
http://www.picturetrail.com/rayiisara/sblordita

Hello Josie,

I must admit that I looked at the Reebok step and thought that it was too small and not high enough. I didn't like it at all. I bought the proper step and extra risers for £100 + P&P. I love using the it.

As for weights, I started with a barbell set, which you can buy cheap at Argos (£50) that was 50kg - a barbell and adjustable dumbbells. It is brilliant! It is just right for a woman as the weights plates are not too big but are very solid metal. I would definitely check out Argos for the sale. I use this with some old dumbbells that I had. Then I bought an extra barbell from Index (they didn't have it in Argos).

I now have the proper hexagonal dumbbells that Cathe uses. I bought 2-8kg set from www.evernewphysique.co.uk for £80 + P&P. I love using them. They are perfect for the PUB and Slow & Heavy & PS series. They are just great and definitely worth investing if you think you can stick with doing Cathe for the long term.

Yen

Yen has already given you good advice on where to get dumbbells and barbells etc. I started out with a small Weider step, which was good enough for Cher but too small for Cathe or Christi workouts. I looked at the Reebok step but storage space is a real problem so I decided to get a full size club step. I bought mine from www.proactive-health.co.uk earlier this year. I can't remember exactly how much it cost but I think I paid about £70 in total for it. I contacted them to ask if they still sold extra risers for the step so I could increase the height to use it as a high step but was told that risers are no longer sold without a step in the UK. I think a site like www.fwonline.com would be our best bet now.

I'd really love to have a high step but for now, (on those days when I just don't feel like pulling out my step for a strength workout) I substitute with extra lunges. The type of lunge depends on the workout and I'll do either forward lunges, backward lunges, static lunges or lunges where you lunge forward and back. Squats and Plie squats would do as a substitute or you could just use your step as it is for step ups. Lakeland Plastics (www.lakelandlimited.com) have a fold up step stool about 10" high, which looks like a good alternative.
ATB,
- Lisa :)

Hello Lisa,

Are you sure that proactive-health don't do risers alone? I bought my step from them too. At the time I bought the step I also bought the risers but I am sure they told me that risers could be bought seperately.

This is the company that is considering importing the high step that I was telling you about. I spoke to the owner and he told me that he has a distribution base in the US so he could import a few high steps.

I need to find out more about the manfacturer and get back to him. I'd hate to think that he is the type to make promises he can't keep or changes his mind. That would be bad for business.

So far this company and www.evernewphysique.co.uk are the best for equipment.

Yen

Thanks for those replies everyone! Kimyenchu: here's hoping that guy will import some of those high steps! :) Happy New Year everyone.

>Hello Lisa,
>
>Are you sure that proactive-health don't do risers alone? I
>bought my step from them too. At the time I bought the step I
>also bought the risers but I am sure they told me that risers
>could be bought seperately.
>
>This is the company that is considering importing the high
>step that I was telling you about. I spoke to the owner and
>he told me that he has a distribution base in the US so he
>could import a few high steps.
>
>I need to find out more about the manfacturer and get back to
>him. I'd hate to think that he is the type to make promises
>he can't keep or changes his mind. That would be bad for
>business.
>
>So far this company and www.evernewphysique.co.uk are the best
>for equipment.
>
>Yen

Hiya Yen :)
I telephoned Proactive-Health in August to ask about risers. They said they had sold out of the last of their surplus stock at the beginning of the year and would no longer import them into the country. They said the demand for risers just wasn't there not even the health clubs/gyms etc.

I wrote to Proactive to ask if they would consider stocking the High Step in August and was told by their Sales Director, that my request would be passed onto someone called Chris Onslow who looks after new products. I haven't heard anything from them since although I was very pleased with their service except for their/Chris Onslow's not writing back!

The High Step is made by the same company that make the health club step, though they have changed hands and are now owned by Escalade Sports at www.escaladesports.com The High Step is here: http://www.escaladesports.com/the-step-fitness/detail.html?sku=F1080&subcat=The Step

I agree Proactive and Evernew are about the best around. I've used John Lewis for a few things (so nice to have heavy weights delivered!) but there's not a lot of good places to buy fitness equipment in this country.
ATB,
- Lisa :)

Hi Yen

Here's hoping that proactive-health will be able to do something. You've got my email address - keep me posted.

Happy New Year everyone!

WebGirl :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.