5 day Rotation troubles

Stacy

Cathlete
Due to my work schedule I cannot seem to consistently workout more than 5 days a week, some weeks it is only 4. I struggle to find a rotation that I can stick to, yet I really want a rotation to do so I can have some more structure and purpose to my workouts each week. "Just do something" makes me feel very scattered.

My goal is fat loss and slimming my quads primarily. I am also training to walk/jog a 10K so I dedicate one day to that (should do more but with a bad knee that's all I can handle). I am very stiff so feel one day should be yoga. I tend to try to do more intense workouts b/c of the lack of workout days I have but then I feel tired. And, with the need to fit in more cardio for fat loss, yoga tends to fall to the wayside too.

Does anyone have any great 5 day rotations they've done?? I'd love some new ideas. Thanks.

You can take any rotation and make it longer by inserting your off days after every 2-3 days instead of after 6 days. I did that with the RWH rotation because that for me was a much tougher rotation than I was used to and my body needed the extra rest day. So, it took me almost 6 weeks to do the 1 month rotation but it worked for me and still got results.

Hi Stacy,

Have you thought about incorporating stretching/yoga into everyday activities? I add in forward bends for hamstrings in the shower and drying my hair. You could do shoulder rolls when sitting, calf stretches on breaks...you get the point.

If I had 4 or 5 days that I could work out I would aim for two or three weights and two cardio.

If 4 days: 2 total body and 2 cardio.
If 5 days: 2 upper body, 1 lower body, and 2 cardio

This way you could use all your workouts-split programs and total body.

I think you'll have to make up your own rotation! Cathe has good stretching after her workouts. You could add abs in two days a week when you feel like it.

Good Luck,

Beth

Beth-B-Fit, this is EXACTLY what I was going to post! Thanks. Although you like rotations Stacy, you could follow Beth-B-Fit's structure (e.g. 2-3 weight and 2 cardio) and create your own rotations ahead of time using the DVDs you own. This is what I do - I write down my plan so I have a set purposeful, individualized rotation ready to follow.

Stacy, I might add that you don't have to set aside one special day just for yoga. You can follow Beth-B-Fit's workout suggestions above, and incorporate the 17 min. STS Extended Stretch or one of the 15 min. Stretch Max programs or the LIS Yoga Relax or Yoga Max timesaver premixes at the end of one of your workouts if you want to really relieve that stiffness . This may help you to feel less tired and give you the energy to hit your next workout nice and hard.

This is my 5 day program that incorporates a yoga day:
Mon-upper body heavy weights
Tues-off
Weds-spin bike, abs
thurs-off
Fri-legs and abs
Sat-yoga and foam rolling
sun-kickbox, abs
I find it really helps to have a schedule I can stick to. Trying to do 6 days I always ended up doing 4-5 days instead because I was too tired or busy and then the schedule is all off. Having each day be a dedicated workout type really helps. I've sequenced it so that I have a good rest period between each type of exercise. It really feels good to foam roll and then deep stretch with yoga the day after legs. And then the next day of kickbox loosens up my legs some more without stressing them too much. I take a very long time to recover, and this rotation really works well for that.

4 Day Split was made for you. Add 20 mins yoga to the end of each day's workout, or at the end of the day, and you still have a day to play around with for devoting to a full yoga practice should you wish.

If you decide to follow the 4 Day split DVD, sub the cardio on 1 or 2 days for your run/walk/jog sessions. Then follow up with the regular, daily weight training.

This way, the thinking is done for you.

BTW: 4 days per week IS enough to be in superb shape. Don't feel that you HAVE TO do more if your personal time schedule does not allow for it.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.