1RM tips and suggestions--and a question

kellymom

Cathlete
Hi everyone-

I was wondering if those of you who have started to tackle the 1RM calculating could share some tips.

I've started printing out the cards to take to my exercise room to figure things out and was wondering if I can skip the exercises that list %1RM as 0--meaning, you don't need a 1RM for that exercise?? Sometimes it's obvious--uses the band, or is a pushup, etc., but other times there appears to be a typical exercise with no %1RM listed, like "seated curls alternating + both arms" on disk one.

Also, is there a way to tell which cards to print out to hit all the exercises in STS--since I know so many of them are duplicated throughout the workout, just with different %1RM?

My brain is on overload.......

Kelly

I'd love more input, too! I'm also feeling a bit overwhelmed with how many exercises there are. I had been under the impression that there wouldn't be quite so many, and I'm not even sure what some of them are!:confused:

Okay, how does this sound--

After I've done the 1RM tests for discs 1-3 and saved my results, my work out cards should show % 1RM calculations for those repeated exercises on the rest of the discs, and I should be able to see which new exercises do not have a 1RM calculation. Right? Does that make sense?

Last edited:
sts confusion

I don't get it! When I look at disc one of STS there are like a GOZILLION exercises! Are we suppossed to do all of disc one in one workout?

I "think" I've got it

It seems easier to me rather than going thru the STS 1RM disc by disc, which I started doing, go straight to the one that says list all STS exercises, then go thru them one by one - you won't be repeating and will hit them all. Just go thru alphabetically and do them one by one. From what I can tell, the some of the same exercises are in each workout, just with a dif % of the 1RM which will calculate on the workout card. If you just list all the exercises with out selecting the STS option - you will get a gazillion choices, if its just STS, its really not so many. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I found that there were only a few exercises I didn't know - looking at the blog pics will help as will Google. Also, there were many that I already know which wt I top out at 10 reps. I know how many squats, curls, kickbacks, etc I can do with what wt, so I didn't necessarily have to test those.

HTH,
Nan

Does anybody know how many 1 RM tests you can do before the results get skewed by fatigue? I've been thinking about doing an arm, then leg, then back, then leg, then chest... and so on. But how many can you really do at a time and get true results??

Last edited:
So you have to go through each exercise one by one and do the 1 rep max and save it for that exercise? I'm still so confused! :confused:

I didn't think there'd be so many exercises that needed 1RM calculated either and would like some guidance on the best way to tackle this.

This isn't what we are supposed to do, but it is what I am going to do: I am only checking my one rep max on major exercises and guess at the rest. I will check on bench press for chest, overhead press for shoulders, squat for legs etc. I won't be checking for isolation exercises such as chest flies, side laterals etc.

Does anybody know how many 1 RM tests you can do before the results get skewed by fatigue? I've been thinking about doing an arm, then leg, then back, then leg, then chest... and so on. But how many can you really do at a time and get true results??

SNM posted on another thread that you should wait 2-3 minutes between exercises for the same muscle groups. But beyond that, I would agree that at some point, you have to just stop for the day. It will be a workout in and of itself getting the 1RM!

Hi,

I am not sure what you are doing wrong.... click on One Rep Max Calculator,choose either show all exercises or STS only etc. and then at the top is a drop down list of excercises. Choose type of exercise,weight used and how many reps. Then hit calculate 1RM. It might take a couple seconds to show up in the % column. Then click on save.

I have many weight sheets that I have been keeping track of my weights used on different DVD's. This is how I will be entering my information to get my 1RM. I hope this helps.

You can always go back and adjust your totals later if you find you could actually go heavier. :)

Your friend in exercise,
Heidi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.