You guys should have seen this!

lcsavik_85

Cathlete
My mother was inspired to start exercising when I was previewing my HCs. I'm starting her out really slow. I ordered Basic Step for her and my father. In the mean time I have them doing the 19 minute wt premix from SJ&P, some S&H, and they just started learning the 1st combo from Step Heat. Well, last night a friend came over and wanted to join my mother in Step Heat. I grabbed another 4 in. step for her and got her started. It was the funniest thing watching those 2 older ladies trying to do the steps with Cathe. I told them to just try to do the moves and keep moving for at least 30 minutes. Basic step really confused them. They were tripping, on the wrong side of the step not even doing the right move. They made up their own moves! Sometimes when they both stopped and were just watching I played drill stg. and told them to move. They then started jsut dancing with each other! OMG. My dad and I were behind them trying to stiffle our hysterics. I was so proud of them for trying and actually going for 30 minutes. Then I let them do a stretch vid for 10 minutes. It was the best laugh I'd had in a long time. This part will only last a few more days b4 they catch on so I'm going to savor it and mabe get a video camera and sent the tape into funniest home videos as my father had sugjested. Then I could really black mail them in the future. }( Or keep it so that they can get some good laughs later on when they are pros! I can't wait till they are able to do Rhythmic Step and be able to even get ahead of Cathe like I do.

I was never like that when I started stepping. I didn't expect that nice little laughing session at all. My father has no problem with the step workouts either. He says its b/c both of us can sight read music as we play our intruments. I guess hearing the rhythm helps us a lot. After I thought about it for a few minutes, I realized that its just like sight reading. That is something I havent done in a long time. My flute is probably feeling neglected. ;(

Just thought I share some tyro action!

~Reece Out~

That's wonderful that you're helping them out! I can remember how stupid I felt the first time I worked out to a Cathe tape!! My first was Step Jam and I never thought I'd get it! It's still fun to workout to that one even though I don't use it very often anymore! Way to go!!

Supposedly when we get older, it takes us longer to learn things like this. I took a Tai Chi class a few years ago and was the youngest by far in the class. I caught on to everything much faster than the older ladies...it's just a side effect of getting older. :(

What is "older"? At 55 I don't have any problems and do all the new and old Cathe workouts. I don't know that age is necessarily a factor.

Reese, that is PRICELESS! i was rolling laughing at that story! thanks for sharing! you gave me a big smile!

jes:D

Well, maybe because you're a regular exerciser. I've read that regular exercise helps keep your brain sharp too. Must be the extra blood flow. Or...maybe the people in my Tai Chi classes were just dopes and airheads.:D

My mother never seemed to lose any of her brain power as she got older (that is, until she got a brain tumor). But she also read constantly and did puzzles. It's a total "use it or lose it" thing.

I forgot all about this thread. lol.

Ok...Would it help if you knew that my mother has mental problems/chemical imbalance and epsteenbar?
I just posted over on the Ask Cathe forum and told her I had my mom do Basic Step in slow motion. She says Way To Go! I'm very glad I figured out our dvd player could do that. It was still difficult for her to grasp but at least I got her moving! lol.
My moms biggest restraint is how embarrassed she gets. She always sat out in p.e b/c she didn't want to get made fun off.
I think its great to watch beginers like her b/c it is funny but we know that they will have it down in no time at all. lol. Its not making fun of her. We are proud that she's putting in the effort!

~Reece Out~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.