Star Wars

catwoman

Cathlete
Okay, so I am a Star Wars geek! Self-confessed and proud of it!! :7

By the way, no spoilers in this post for those who haven't seen it. I wouldn't ruin it for you like that.

So, obviously, I went to see the new Star Wars flick, and just thinking about at this very moment gave me goosebumps. What an amazing movie. I will say right now that I think it is my favorite of all 6 of the Star Wars movies. The action was great, and so were the special effects, especially the opening sequence. Wow! There was so much going on in those first few minutes that I couldn't take it all in. (I guess I'll just have to go back a few more times to see it so I can catch it all, huh? Hee hee!).

The other thing I liked about this movie was the incredible storyline. The tragedy and emotion of this movie had me tearing up about 30 minutes before the end of the movie...and at the end of the movie, I actually had tears streaming down my cheeks and it was all I could do to keep from sobbing right there in the theater. It just really sucked me in and I never would have guessed that the story would have played out like it did.

Part of my tears could also have been blamed on the fact that this is the last one...this is it. The whole story has now been told and I can't expect to go back to the theater in three years to see the next installment. I was seven years old when the first Star Wars came out, and I can still remember my fascinated awe at that opening scene. No movie grasped me as hard as Star Wars did for a very very long time after that...and it was the one and only time I remember our local movie theater having both their box offices open to handle the massive crowds. So, this amazing story has been a part of my life for the last 28 years - the bulk of my life - and this final movie is like an end to an era. Withdrawal is already setting in, so I have to go back to see Revenge of the Sith over and over and over to make sure I get as much out of it as I can - and believe me, there's a lot to get out of this movie.

And for all you other Star Wars geeks out there...look for the Millenium Falcon in a cameo appearance in Revenge of the Sith. Apparently, it is in one of the scenes toward the beginning of the movie. My husband saw it, but I didn't (another reason why I have to go back to see this movie again). George Lucas also makes an appearance as a General at an opera house. I missed him, too. x(

Okay, so enough with the Star Wars for now. I'm just really sad to see this story come to an end...but oh, what a fabulous end it is!! Tragic, emotional, exhilerating, and fabulous!

You know, sitting here and re-reading my post just made me realize that I can't believe how much a part of my life this story has been. It's very strange. It's almost as if I've been waiting for 28 years to see how it all came to be and now all the questions are answered. There's an amazing sense of closure to the Star Wars story now...and even if someone wants to film Episodes 7, 8, and 9 someday (because there is a 7, 8, and 9), I don't think they will have the impact that 1-6 have had. Movies 1-6 are Lucas' original story...it's the story he always wanted to tell...and now it's been told. He won't do anymore. If he does, then great, but I don't think it will be the same.

Hard to believe that Lucas struggled to even get a studio to take on this project in the beginning. There are some people in Hollywood that are kicking themselves so hard right about now.

Okay, this self-described Star Wars geek is going to sign off for the night.

May the Force be with you.

(I couldn't resist). :D

Can you say "nerd"? Do you go to conventions in your cinnamon bun earmuffs?

Just kidding...I love Star Wars too. I wanted to turn around and sneak in and watch the next showing, but I had to go pick up dd at Grampa's house.x(

I heard or read somewhere that Lucas had orginally meant for the Star Wars series a set of 9 movies. It sounds like he might have given up on that plan.

I remember seeing "Star Wars" in the theater when I was 8 or 9 years old. I went back and saw it again in the late 90's when it was re-released a few years ago with enhancements. This film really did change the way I saw movies.

One of the best scenes ever is the one in the original "Star Wars" where Luke Skywalker is on Tatooine looking out over the desert landscape with the two suns in the background - THAT gives me goosebumps. I wish I could find that scene in a poster. I'd put it in my office.

(begin RANT)I'm becoming more than a little annoyed with some of the changes that George Lucas is making to the orginal three (eps. 4, 5 & 6) in the DVD versions. It was one thing to add a few digital enhancements in the re-release, but he's going as far as removing Clive Revill as the Emperor in "The Empire Strikes Back" and replacing him with Ian McDiarmid AND changing the dialog between the Emperor and Darth Vader. He's also digitally adding Hayden Christenson somewhere into "Return of the Jedi". Aaaaaack!!! What the HELL???!!! LEAVE THE ORIGINALS ALONE GEORGE!!!(end RANT)

How's that for "nerd", Donna? ;-) ;-)

I haven't seen the DVD versions of Episodes 4-6. I wasn't aware that he made such significant changes. How odd. If he really wanted to make changes, why didn't he replace Sir Alek Guiness with what's his name in Episodes 1-3????

I really enjoyed watching Episode 3. However, I feel that there wasn't enough there to convince myself regarding the transformation of Anakin to Vader. Hopefully, more of a storyline on this transformation will be in the director's cut on the DVD.

Ok....There is a lot of stuff cut out of EP3. Read the entire Clone Wars series and then you will get the full picture. There is so much that takes place between 1 and 2 then a whole series between 2 and 3.
Yes there should be a 7-9. The books after Return of the Jedi are awesome! Han and Leia's twins are so powerfull. Especially the emotions Leia goes through after learning who her real father is. Yeah that is enough to screw somebody up for life.

EP3 was better than 1 and 2 but still isn't better than Return of the Jedi. That dual between Luke and his Father is just breath taking. The dual of heros in EP3 is good. Anakin really pissed me off b/c he made the obvious bad decision. If he would of thought about how she would have felt after learning all that bad stuff about what he did, he wouldn't have done it. I really wanted to kick his butt. I think more story could have been told and they didn't go into enough detail on the wookie home world Kyshakk but oh well. They are suppose to live in gigantic trees on a larger scale then the Ewoks but oh well. They also took out the Jedi too easily and didn't spend enough time on that.

Good movie...Go see. You have 6 months b/c its on Special Extention.

As for the DVDs. I was ticked when I saw the changes but I guess it does fit better with the characters from 1-3. I know change is hard but it works better. Think of newbies who have no star wars background when they watch them all in order and notice that ppl don't look the same.
Yeah I'm a star wars geek. Maybe I'll get cable to see the new series that they are working on. Go to the site to find out more about the up coming prodects.

I agree that Revenge of the Sith could have delved deeper into the story about why and how Anakin turned, especially for people who really don't know the story...but the story is so well-known by so many that for those people, they'd have been like, "Geez! Why is he spending so much time on this???? We know he goes bad!" :)

And yes, so many people don't realize that a whole lot of stuff actually happens between each episode. We're talking years - not months - of stuff that we don't see in the movies.

Also, I also heard that the original story was 9 volumes long, but Lucas' main story was Anakin. It was always a story about Anakin, but by starting Star Wars with "A New Hope", after Anakin has gone bad, we miss all that. Lucas said that he felt a little jipped by having to start his story with "A New Hope" so that all the Darth Vader backstory got lost. Anakin's story (Lucas' main storyline) is now complete. Nothing more needs to be done, and Lucas says that he won't do anymore Star Wars films.

I have read a few of the books, which are interesting, and know about Han's and Leia's twins being strong in the Force, but it's been a while since I read one of these books, so I know I have a lot of catching up to do.

Lastly, regarding the changes to Episodes 4-6: I like most of the changes. I was a little thrown when Return of the Jedi was on a few weeks ago and they'd changed the ending. I'm actually glad they are editing in Hayden's features, though. It brings a look of continuity to the films.

Oh, and no, I don't go to Star Wars conventions. I actually look quite normal. You'd never know by looking at me that I'm a Star Wars geek. Oooohh, that fake light saber and Darth Maul T-shirt might give it away to the very observant, but average folks would NEVER know. :7 :7 :7

What books do you recommend? I was going to buy Labyrinth of Evil, but am not sure about it. I want to find out how Anakin became a Jedi, how Dooku turned to the dark side and where in the heck did Admiral Grievous come from? When and how did Obi Wan get elected into counsil? And what is up with Sipha Dious? (the jedi who ordered the clone army) I think I am letting you guys know a lot more about me than I should! I am a huge geek of Star Wars and LOTR, all that good vs. evil and redemption stuff. I am happy to see that I am not the only one, and a woman nonetheless!!! But any books that you guys really enjoyed I would like to delve into as well!

I actually did almost go to a convention when it was in town with my son, can you believe that??? George Lucas was going to be there, but it was bucu bucks, so we settled for some ice cream cones instead and both of us where happy! And yes, we do battle with our light sabers and blasters. Noone knows and our neighbors don't suspect a thing! :+

Missy

I love the Star Wars movies too. I was wondering if anyone knows what happens to Luke Skywalker? Does he become the head jedi? Does he meet a jedi-chick?

Just curious.

I haven't read enough of the books to know the whole Luke Skywalker story, but I do know he meets and falls in love with a Jedi woman named Jada (I think her name is Jada).

Here's what I recommend for Star Wars books: Go to Amazon.com and search for Star Wars. You'll get a whole list of books. You might have to do a little research, but try to find some information about where the stories fall in the Star Wars saga. I think my first 3 books were: Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, Darksaber (not necessarily in that order).

I really need to start reading my books again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.