Opinions on next circuit workout to purchase

LoDo

Cathlete
Hi all, I'm working on losing weight (50lbs) and my plan is 3 days cardio, 2 days circuit and 1 day full body weights.

My collection of circuit workouts needs expanding. I already have C&W, Bodymax, High Step Circuit and High Step Challengee.

I'm looking to get 1 or 2 of the following. Which two would you get?

1. Intensity series - Bootcamp + Muscle Endurance
2. Circuit Max
3. Terminator - The Gauntlet
4. Drill Max
5. LIC

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lori

:D

Of the ones you have listed, my favorites are Drill Max and LIC. I think that they will also be different enough from what you already have to add a bit of variety.

Bootcamp is also a fun one, and it does come with ME, which would be great to do on your one day of full-body weights.

Maybe Bootcamp/ME and Drill Max? That might give you the most versatility.

I'm sure others will chime in, too!:)

My vote would be for BC/ME and DM. The premixes alone will keep you busy for weeks. DM is such a nice change with the functional cardio drills. I want to do it right now!

If I were to pick one I would go with BC/ME because you get two workouts in one plus the premixes makes it easy if you later want to focus on Upper and Lower body separately.

I'd definitely go with BC/ME, there is a lot of versatility there. My other vote would be for LIC, I just really enjoy that one. For some reason DM just doesn't click with me. It just depends on what you like more, step cardio or cardio drills.

Maggie

Hi,

I love them all for different reasons, but I'm voting for the Terminator because you get The Gauntlet (which is one of my favorites), plus The Viper, plus that long cardio workout that combines IMAX2 and C&W. I think you get the most variety for your money with this one.

Tracy

So many different opinions, good luck making up your mind! Of the ones you mentioned, I vote for LIC and DM because those are the ones I own. LIC is fun, DM everyone loves it, I haven't clicked with it yet, but I'm sure I will.

Thanks so much for all your opinions. It sounds like really I can't go wrong in my selection.

I am surprised that no one mentioned circuit max. In my search of previous circuit workouts many people recommended circuit max, but I guess the rec's were probably prior to production of some of these newer workouts.

Well, I'm definitely getting BC dvd and most probably DM as the other.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks to this thread and all the circuit talk I just ordered the Terminator to add to my collection!

There is no such thing as too many Cathe workouts, right?:7

Maggie

I really like the LIC circuit. Not too much, not too little - just right!

And might I recommend a different training schedule for weight loss:

2 days circuit
3 days weight training (hit each body part HARD once a week)
1 day straight cardio

I recently changed up my workout schedule as follows, and it has really garnered good results:

M: Circuit (LIC) & abs (lighter weights in the circuit than on my weight training days)
T: Chest & Shoulders (heavy weights)
W: Cardio only (45-60 minutes)
Th: Biceps and Back (heavy weights)
F: Legs and triceps (heavy weights)
S: Circuit or cardio, maybe abs depending on how I feel
S: Off

Hmmm, this is an interesting mix -- did you order STS? I'm wondering if you're going to try to do STS this way.... (with circuits mixed in).

-Beth

bitmover, I'm not sure if your question was directed to me, but I'll answer.

I have ordered STS, and will likely change up my workout schedule to accommodate the new workouts. I will probably still do 1 circuit workout per week, but will wait and see before setting anything in stone. I don't always use the workouts as Cathe plans them, but rather tailor them to fit my own needs. However, I will likely use STS the way it has been intended, at least the first time I run through it.

For the record, I am always reworking my workouts - changing up the schedule every 6-8 weeks or so. It keeps things fresh and the muscles guessing. And since I've never done circuits before, adding circuits in and working each body part with heavy weights only once per week has been great. I've really noticed that I'm leaning down. I have to make sure I stick to my schedule, though, and not miss a day, because I've crafted things so that I'm getting at least 24-48 hours of rest for each body part. What makes it even trickier is staying aware of which secondary muscles are being worked. For example, shoulders and triceps are worked pretty heavily when chest is worked. So, I group chest and shoulders together, but then don't work triceps again for 3 days because they got worked on chest day. You can also work chest & tris together and do shoulders 2-3 days later - same difference.

Anyhoo, my answer was probably overkill, but oh well. :p

Catwoman88, my question was definitely for you, and you did not go overkill -- in fact, now I just want to know more! :) I can see how this would require quite a bit of planning, but I'm having a hard time seeing how you work circuits in but still get the rest from the heavy weight days. I will take a look at the workouts I have in more detail and think about it, but if you want to send me any more info in private mail, I'm at [email protected].

Thanks!! I think your plan sounds very intriguing.

-Beth

I'd vote for BC/ME. You get a great circuit and a total body workout on one disc and the bonus combo workout is tough. I did it yesterday and it combines some cardio and weights from BC with weight work from ME. My other choice would be LIC. This workout is very versatile and it's tough without being too hard. DM and the Terminator are really tough workouts and have a high dread factor for me. I don't think I could put these in my rotation on a regular basis.

As far as CM. I really like this workout but I would classify it more as a cardio than a circuit workout. The weights are too light and there's not enough of it for this workout to be an effective circuit workout. (This is just my opinion of course) It is a tough cardio one though.:)

Good luck. You can't go wrong with whatever you choose.

Jacque

Hi Catwoman88,

I'm am really out of shape right now. Plus, I haven't been working out for a year. Would your training schedule still be good for someone as out of shape as me?

Lori

This decision is getting more difficult all the time. Actually, I think I might just get all of them. I have been looking at getting CIA:2604 Double Cardio. Any opinions on that one?

DESCRIPTION: Two complete workouts: an innovative aero/tone step interval program plus a basic Bosu workout. "All Body Cardio" features extremely fluid transitions; the moves just naturally flow between aerobics and toning without a pause (so you're constantly burning fat). In fact, the body-sculpting is almost never static; instead you're always moving one body part as you're toning the other. Sharon Money Twombley is a "classy," supportive instructor with lots of creative moves - from "traveling tricep dips" to lifting her step-bench overhead to build endurance. "Bosu Blast," by Seasun Zieger, is very straight-forward - five Bosu cardio combos plus a Pilates-style toning segment. "All Body Cardio" requires 3 to 10 lb. dumbbells while "Bosu Blast" requires a Bosu (although one person does the workout on a step).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.