OMG - pet peeve

A few months ago I started making a concerted effort to stop saying OMG. I've got it down to just "Oh my" and i leave it at that. The reason being is a joke I heard that takes place in Italy.
3 older women are eating lunch together and trying to say that my son is better than their friends sons. So the 1st one says "When my son walks in a room, ppl address him as holy father." The 2nd lady says "They call My son Most Holy Father." The 3rd lady is sitting there thinking over her morbidly obese son and says "When my son walks into a room they say Oh My God!"

There is more to the joke but you get why I stopped saying OMG?

~Reece Out~

>I make a point not to say it! Don't like it either!
>
>Actually, I just thought "gosh" was a slang name for God so, I
>don't even say that! Guess I'll have to find out what gosh
>stands for/means!
>

"gosh" doesn't refer to God at all. It's a way of softening the expression. There are a lot of expressions that replace "four letter words" with other words. Like when people say "shoot" instead of "s*@&t" or "darn" instead of "d!@*&#m", or "forget you" (in movies dubbed for TV)instead of "f(@&@!k you" , or "frickin'" instead of "f(*#!(n'"

Just a note of how our children pick up on these phrases very quickly. I grew up with an Irish mom and I remember her always saying in her accent, "Jeezus Krrrrist" and "Jeezus, Mary and Josefff" at any of lifes stressors. Unfortunately these became reflex phrases for me under the same circumstances. They burble out before I'm aware of them. My lesson was learned when my then three year old daughter was due at preschool and I was trying to get her raincoat on. She wouldn't keep still and her zipper got caught in the material and I said Caitlin.....she interrupts me and says "I know, I know, Jesus Christ." I, of course, tell her that she is not to says those words but can replace them with Jezum Crow. I drop her off at preschool and mention to the teacher under my breath that we are having an issue with a certain swear. She asks which one and I embarrassingly tell her. She says "Oh that one, yes she says that quite a bit. Just the other day Felicia told her she got a new bed and your daughter says all excitedly, "really, JESUS CHRIST!" Doh!!

Now I am hyper aware of my verbal reactions. Gosh is used on an hourly basis in this house.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.