Ok, I need to have this discussed some more.....

Cbelle

Cathlete
I'd like to get a nice lively discussion going on this theory:

You can't lose bodyfat and build muscle at the same time.

If that is the theory then one should concentrate on lots of cardio, endurance type weights (maybe full body? maybe like CTX? what exactly?)until the wieght is lost, then go full blast into something like S & H, ease up on the cardio and heavy on the protein.

What do you think? True or a fitness myth?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for bring up this topic. This has had me quite discombobulated for quite some time. (Yes, it is a word according to my Seinfeld dictionary!) So what to do?? 6 weeks of cardio with light weight training to lean out and then reduce cardio and increase weight training to build muscle?? Wold those educated ladies please please give us your .02 cents on this??
BooBoo

I don't understand what implies that you cannot do both. Your body works pretty well at digestion and respiration at the same time as well as so many other functions.

I would think that your body is capable of burning fat and building muscle at the same time. I think that sometimes we forget that there is fat that collects around your internal organs as well as underneath your skin.

I could understand someone thinking that just because you don't see immediate results that maybe your body was only doing one thing at a time.

As you break down muscle tissue and allow it to repair, the muscle increases in size and therefore will metabolize more food. If you are burning more calories than you are taking in, your body draws its energy from your fat stores.

Other factors to consider are your genetic makeup, your bone structure, your personal metabolism and your own metabolic rate, how your body stores fat and how your body responds to exercise and nutrition.

I'm happy to be wrong. But, in my limited knowledge, that is what i understand. Please. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Danna

I have probably made that statement before.

I do think it is technically/scientifically possible...just hard to measure and therefore detect how effective your current plan of action is being. Therefore...it is more effective to concentrate on one thing at a time.

I stand by the theory still though that if you are eating a calorie deficit (to burn fat) you can't add or is extremely unlikely that you will add muscle.

Jen

I've heard this before but know from my own experience that it can be done...

http://www.fitnessvideofanatics.com/inspirations/FitnessGoddess.slim

You can see a definite change in my body composition. Unfortunately, I have had a major set back in my working out--I haven't worked out in more than 10 months & now I've lost all the hard earned muscle & gained more than I had lost.

You definitely can loose weight & gain muscle at the same time. You just have to find the right mix for your body.

Something else I forgot to mention. There have been countless fitness competitions where the contestants have tracked their body composition and shown that they have built muscle at the same time that they reduce their fat percentage.

I like this website and it give some but not all information about this topic.
http://www.hussman.org/fitness/#inside

Danna

I really think it all depends on YOUR body and body type. If you have alot of excess fat when you start, you may be able to build muscle while in a calorie deficit. If you start out at an average bodyfat level, it's going to be tougher. Your body needs to have excess calories from somewhere to build muscle.

Here's another thought from my personal experience....when I was losing weight, I was weaker. My body didn't have the energy to lift really heavy like I do now. You're spreading yourself thinner...so to speak, so you're performance will likely suffer some in the process.

I think you may be getting too caught up in all the details. Here's what worked for me:

1) Lowering calories while eating a balanced diet (40% carb/40% protein/20% fat). Yes, I tracked it in a food journal and counted calories. I still do, even in maintenance...I think that's partly why I've been able to maintain! :)

2) Lifting weights heavy enough to challenge myself. Meaning I didn't do low weight/high rep videos or gym workouts.

3) Doing lots of cardio. I do Cathe Step, run, and other fitness DVDs.

Out of the top three, number one is the most crucial to your success. Get a handle on your diet and believe me, you'll see a whole new physique. Just my two cents....again! :)

Kathy (link to my photo album below)

http://www.picturetrail.com/kathyg4

wow Kathy,

You look great! Good job and keep up the good work! I am getting ready to meet with a pt tomorrow and if I can brave, I want my husband to do a before and after of me. :)
And you just confirmed that I 'NEED' to start keeping a food journal!

I think the ladies above look absolutely gorgeous.
That being said...
However I still think the average fitness competitor probably focuses first on adding muscle while trying to minimize adding any fat then leans out before a competition (depending on how much they have to lose). And just because they have accomplished both goals while preparing for a competition over a period of time...doesn't mean that they did them SIMULTANEOUSLY. Probably consecutively. IMHO. :)

I think if you eat clean surplus while adding muscle you may lose some body fat at the same time. You would have to calculate your lean body mass "before" and "after" each type of rotation (using the scale and bodyfat percentage) to see actually what happened to your body. Just looking at a bodyfat percentage by itself wouldn't do it....maybe your bodyfat percentage went down simply because of fat loss and no muscle gain. Maybe both fat loss and muscle gain.

So...is it possible? Probably. Is it the most effective way to do it...try and do both at the same time? I still am not convinced. But, I have changed the original question that started this post....so I will leave off there!

Also...suspect why people can never agree on stuff like this might be that everyone is different...like smurfette? said.

Interesting question.
Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.