New Fashions?

susieq

Cathlete
OK, so I went shopping today. Now I want to know...do I HAVE to wear a belt with EVERYTHING???? Belts are NOT attrative on me at all! And please, please tell me I don't have to ever wear stirrup pants again!

Any fashion experts want to weigh in?

Thanks,
Susan

I hear ya Susan! Going clothes shopping lately has been like walking through a really bad flashback of the 80's fashion don'ts! :eek::eek:

Pam

I always think rule #1 in fashion is: if it doesn't look good on you and/or you don't feel comfortable in it... don't wear it!

I give you permission to skip the belts and stirrup pants! ;)

Seriously! I don't want to belt my cardigan sweaters, and nobody can make me! What is UP with that?

P.S. No stirrup pants for me, either, thankyouverymuch! :D

I agree. Belts with jeans for a rugged, cowgirl look and that's it. As for stirrup pants....shudder! Not now, no way, no how, not never!!!!

Clare

I like the wide belt look and will wear it from time to time but it's not a requirement. I don't like the shirt tucked in my pants look either b/c all it will do is accentuate my middle which I don't want.

I think the leggings look is really cute if done right, but agree no stirrups :)

I HATE that the 80s fashions are coming back. I'm staying true to what I like. Keeping it simple and a little bit earthy. I'm not a fan of belts either. So I say ditch the belts and go for what you love. You may turn out to be a trend-setter! :)

Well, after trying to be a bit trendy and trying on leggings w/ tunic type tops last year (which just made me feel like I was pregnant again) I have my own little fashion rule - if you did it once you probably shouldn't be doing it again!! I'm 38 and did the 80's fashions and the leggings in the early 90's. I feel no need to revisit my younger years!!

I have my own little fashion rule - if you did it once you probably shouldn't be doing it again!! I'm 38 and did the 80's fashions and the leggings in the early 90's. I feel no need to revisit my younger years!!

LOL!!! I'm 39 and I'm going to follow your rule for sure...:D

Love the comments! Especially "if you did it once you probably shouldn't be doing it again!! "

Don't get me wrong, I think belts look cute with SOME things (just not on me). But come on, with everything?

I vow to never wear stirrup pants again (raises right hand). My mother-in-law actually just got rid of hers a few years ago (snicker).

I'll stick with my cute tanks with cardigans and jeans. Of course it's boot cut jeans, cuz skinny jeans don't look skinny on me.

I have my own little fashion rule - if you did it once you probably shouldn't be doing it again!!

I love this rule and I am adopting it as well! :D I'm 41 and all this 80's stuff is right out of high school for me. Once was enough!

My 7 year old daughter saw stirrup pants somewhere and wants a pair. I didn't see any when we went school shopping in August. Does anyone know where I can buy them in a store, not online (for her, not me!)?

I am the oddball here, but I am a totally 80s girl!!!! I lived through em', LOVE 80s music (Madonna is my favorite), and am happy to see some "sophisticated" 80s styles make a comeback. I found some cute petite sweater dresses and leggins at Loft. Some belts found their way back into my wardrobe as well (can't do stirrups-WILL NOT do those again). I will also never go back to the can of hairspray a week hairdo.
I am reliving the 80s, only a little more sophisticated now that I am in my mid 30s. I think it's fun to see this style coming back. We may be headed for Hammer pants, but until then, I am enjoying this trend.:cool:
-Jen

I am the oddball here, but I am a totally 80s girl!!!! I lived through em', LOVE 80s music (Madonna is my favorite), and am happy to see some "sophisticated" 80s styles make a comeback. I found some cute petite sweater dresses and leggins at Loft. Some belts found their way back into my wardrobe as well (can't do stirrups-WILL NOT do those again). I will also never go back to the can of hairspray a week hairdo.
I am reliving the 80s, only a little more sophisticated now that I am in my mid 30s. I think it's fun to see this style coming back. We may be headed for Hammer pants, but until then, I am enjoying this trend.:cool:
-Jen

Saw Hammer pants the other day. The Newport News catalog, I believe. It was online somewhere, but I think it was Newport. Eeeek! No, no, no!!!! And a friend of mine posted a (recent) magazine article about how to tight-roll your jeans. That was back from my Jr High days (I'm 32) I'm not wearing now what I wore when I was 12, thank you very much.

Um, tucked in shirts - no. Belts - no - they show my belly pooch. And I have too big of thighs and booty for skinny jeans. Lots of squats make lots of booty!!!

Nan

LOL as I think of all the trends that have come back and gone out again in my 50+ years ! :p

I am NOT liking the leggins that the "ladies" are wearing to work these days as they are NOT covering their lumpy legs and behinds. I would NEVER expose my lumps . . . and I am the "skinny one" ! ! ! YUCK ! ! !

Funny that I was just about to go shopping for a more "career-oriented" wardrobe as we are merging our more "kickback" corporate offices with our manufacturing site which has Customer visits all the time so the dress code is a little more professional. Hard part is making your wardrobe look professional while still being able to walk the production floor. Challenge, yes it is !

Great thread ladies . . . laughing all the way . . .

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.