Kettlebell help

CathydsRNA

Cathlete
Hi educated crowd. I am new to the Kettlebell thing and I bought Paul K. Kettlebell Drills as my intro workout to kettle bells. I also bought an adjustable weight Kettlebell which I think was a big mistake....it is too big and clunky and I now have bruises on both forearms as well as the middle of the tops of both arms from where the Kettlebell hits during some of the exercises. What sort of arm protection do you wear and where do you buy these. Also, what brand kettle bells do you suggest I buy and what weight ranges should I start with. Where do you buy your kettlebells.
Thanks,
Cathy

Hi Cathy,

You can purchase forearm guards from Lisa Shaffer's website www.nofearfitness.com. Many people use socks and cut out the toes to use as forearm guards.

I buy my kettlebells from Perform Better. I like the handles and they offer free shipping from time to time. Dragon Door kettlebells are nice too but a bit pricy.

I think there was a thread a while back regarding Paul's dvds and most people were using 15 or 20 pound bells.

If you are interested in learning good kettlebell technique you might want to find a RKC instructor that can give you the basics. Also Dragon Door and The Art of Strength websites provide lots of information and videos to help with your form.

HTH,

I'm no expert on kettlebells, but with proper technique you shouldn't hit your forearms to the point of bruising. I know the first couple of times I used them I ended up with bruises on my arms, but then I watched some youtube videos to figure out what I was doing wrong. I still struggle with my technique for cleans, but I don't get bruises anymore. :)

I have gofit kettlebells. I haven't used anything else to compare, but they work just fine for me. They have them at Target and on Amazon. Last time I looked Amazon had free shipping for the gofit.

I may be wrong, but I think lighter bells might be better for his workouts. I use 15 and 20 lb KBs for Lauren Brooks, but I just bought a 10 because it looks like 15 and 20 will be too heavy for the moves that Paul does in his workouts. I don't have the workouts yet to know if that was the right decision, but in the videos it looks like he uses a smaller KB.

Good luck!

Thanks. I think part of the problem is the adjustable Weider Kettlebell I have. It is much larger and wider than the Kettlebells used in the video. I think I will purchase the Kettlebells recommended here.
Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.