HCG or is it HGC?

susieq

Cathlete
Anyway, I've been hearing about this on the news for weight loss. You take this stuff and only eat 500 calories a day. Um....I think you're gonna loose weight on 500 cals a day no matter what you're taking. They say it makes you burn only fat. How can this even be considered healthy in any way?

I lost almost 100lbs so far doing the HCG diet this year. You do eat 500 calories per day and are you aren't starving. You do about a month at a time on the diet with a 6 week or more break in between rounds. You can't workout while doing the diet due to the low amount of calories you are taking in. I am about 10lbs from my goal weight and will do another round of HCG in January to get the last bit off.

not sure...

...how safe this is...yes it's a hormone your body has naturally during pregnancy, but during pregnancy there are several things that keep this hormone in check. I have attended many obesity medical conferences and to date, I have never heard of a certified bariatric medical doctor ever recommending this diet as a treatment. I'd tread with extreme caution. At a recent breast/gyn conference, a well respected oncologist in our area raised serious concerns about this diet...for crying out loud, HCG in a nonpregnant person is often tested as a tumor marker! Of course, one of the diet's biggest proponents only makes me more skeptical-a patient asked me to read his book and I raised more red flags and had more questions and concerns after reading the book. I for one will never risk my DEA license to prescribe or recommend something this dangerous. Sure, there have been far too many instances where FDA approved drugs have caused harm, however these drugs have been studied and the problems identified...I have yet to find any placebo controlled double blind studies done with this diet...
just my opinion

...how safe this is...yes it's a hormone your body has naturally during pregnancy, but during pregnancy there are several things that keep this hormone in check. I have attended many obesity medical conferences and to date, I have never heard of a certified bariatric medical doctor ever recommending this diet as a treatment. I'd tread with extreme caution. At a recent breast/gyn conference, a well respected oncologist in our area raised serious concerns about this diet...for crying out loud, HCG in a nonpregnant person is often tested as a tumor marker! Of course, one of the diet's biggest proponents only makes me more skeptical-a patient asked me to read his book and I raised more red flags and had more questions and concerns after reading the book. I for one will never risk my DEA license to prescribe or recommend something this dangerous. Sure, there have been far too many instances where FDA approved drugs have caused harm, however these drugs have been studied and the problems identified...I have yet to find any placebo controlled double blind studies done with this diet...
just my opinion

I agree with you. A gal at work did this twice. I believe she lost about 50 pounds and she is very happy how she looks. I think she lost a pound a day for awhile. She looks like bones with skin hanging off of her and she does not exercise. I believe she eats pretty well, but, not all the time.
She was getting the hormone through shots, and her doctor completely approves. This sounds very scary and dangerous to me.

I don't think 500 calories a day is enough for babies let alone adults, I eat that at lunch most days! I imagine starving your body with our without extra hormones will lead to weight loss.

When you are told not to work out while on a diet plan b/c you are not taking in enough calories to support the exercise this should send reg flags up all over the place that it's not healthy. Just because it's effective does not mean it's good for you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.