Does anyone know anything about cooking?

dss62467

Cathlete
I'm not much of what you'd call a "good cook". I can make things that taste pretty good, but am not exactly educated about things. I just found this recipe in this month's Shape magazine for Almond Parmesan Chicken. It calls for 1 split bone-in chicken breast, but then in the instructions, it tells you to remove the skin and the rib bones. So...why not just buy boneless, skinless breasts? Is there a reason???? The less I handle raw chicken, the happier I am. YUCK!

Donna,
You can absolutely by the boneless skinless breast, especially if you have the slimy skin aversion:eek:. I love to cook and substitute all the time! Let us know how this turns out.
BooBoo

Hi Donna,BooBoo is right i always use boneless regardless of what the recipe says, just be sure to adjust the cooking times.Boneless always cooks faster than with the bone.It usually takes between 20-30 minutes to cook boneless breasts depending on the size ,temp, and wether they are stuffed or not.Hope this helps Bon Apetite!!!
Mrsscififanec

Thanks! I will have to give this one a shot this week. It's always such a pain coming up with ways to eat chicken. Especially since we have it at least twice a week!

Try Chicken Cordon Bleu

Basically you take the boneless, skinless breasts and use a meathammer to crush them to about 3/8 thick

put a slice of lean ham or prosciutto on it

then a slice of provolone cheese

roll it like a sleeping bag

hold it together with toothpicks

dip it in skim milk

cover it with a bread crumbs/ parmesan cheese mixture

bake for 20- 25 minutes at 350 degrees

Hey - that sounds good. Normally I hate Chicken Cordon Bleu (not a fan of Swiss cheese). The provolone sounds good though. Nice and mild.

Thanks! Maybe SNM should make a recipe share area...

the chicken cordon bleu sounds delicious! I might make that tomorrow night for the family.

I remember when I was a teenager my dad used to buy us these chicken cordon bleu's in the frozen food section. (He was in the grocery business and would sometimes bring home food that my mom would never buy) Anyway, we were eating them for a couple weeks, a couple times a week, and then my sister and I looked at the calorie count. It was like 1000 cals and 65 grams of fat per chicken. Thanks dad!!! :)

Oh the good old days when calories didnt count. I think Donnas idea about a share area for inexpensive and low calorie meals is a great idea. For myself personally, Im not very creative with fish and would love some new cooking ideas:)

i like to cook fish in foil packets.

place fish filet in piece of heavy duty foil, drizzle olive oil, fresh lemon, salt and pepper, wrap up well, sealing edges, cook in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 12 minutes.

you can add any kind of herb, like fresh dill, italian parsley, etc. also you can add roasted cherry tomatoes, onions, peppers.

i also like the grill pan for fish.

Lori

We eat a lot of fish and cook it exactly as you said! I love halibut or cod with herbs and lemon! I also eat a lot of salmon.

Jo

Me too with the fish! The only thing I know how to do is broil it! And we try to have it at least once a week. SNOOOOOOOZE!

Donna,
The recipie may call for the bone and skin because they do tend to add flavor and moisture. However, it is odd that you are instructed to remove them before cooking since the cooking process brings out the flavor and moisture. Weird.

Tried the Chicken Cordon Bleu tonight. It was really good! I forgot the parmesan cheese, but I still really liked it. Very easy too. I didn't have any toothpicks in the house, so I ended up using metal skewers (see? Told you I wasn't much of a cook):)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.