Delicious milk substitue, low carb, high protein!!!

booboo

Cathlete
Hello ladies (and any lurking gentlemen),

I wanted to share something i discovered at the grocery store yesterday. It is a dairy alternative to regular milk. High protein & low carb!! It comes in three varieties: Whole fat, reduced fat 2%, and nonfat. I bought the 2% kind and it tastes SPECTACULAR!!!! I am not exagerating when i tell you that it tasted like whole milk even almost like half & half. It is very rich and velvety. 1 cup has 100 calories, 4.5g fat, 20mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, TOTAL carbohydrate 3g (yes, only 3!), 3g sugar, and 12g protein. The product is called Carb Countdown and comes in the half gallon cartons. I found it right in the milk section. It is made by a company called Hood. And it even has the "A" letter for Atkins approved for those who follow that eating program. A little pricey though, $3.99 here in San Diego, but I don't care!! It tastes FABULOUS, much better than soy. Please post if you have seen this product in the 1% variety, so that i can pester my grocery store to carry it.

BooBoo

I purchased it at Albertsons. The ingredients are as follows: water, ultrafiltered fat free milk, cream, calcium caseinate, whey protein concetrate, buttermilk, tricalcium phosphate, salt, disodium phospate, mono and diglycerides, carrageenan, locust bean gum, natural flavor, sucralose, acesulfame postassium, vitamin a palmitate and vitamin D3.

I just tried it tonight and my reaction is mixed. It's not bad, but it doesn't taste like the 1% that I usually drink. I'm trying to cut carbs, so I'm hoping it'll grow on me.

Piper?

Would you post the ingredients? The website shows the nutritional label without the ingredients.

Curious Debra

RE: Piper?

Acesulfame postassium is also a sweetener. You know, milk only contains 12 g of sugar in the form of lactose and if you don't want to consume highly processed foods, chose the milk over this drink because it's highly processed milk with sweetener and salt added to it as well as stabilizers and preservatives. The closer a food is to it's natural state, the better.

Whole foods are best and milk only has vitamin A and D added.

Bumping - Here are the ingredients...

water, ultrafiltered fat free milk, cream, calcium caseinate, whey protein concentrate, buttermilk, tricalcium phosphate, salt, disodium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, carrageenan, locust bean gum, natural flavor, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, Vitamin A palmitate and Vitamin d3.

Whew!!!!

RE: Piper?

I have to agree here and from reading the list of ingredients, I know I'm sticking with my 2% milk. The real stuff.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.